Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it gone?

Non-drive seatstay following collision with foot as my shoe became entangled with my rear wheel. Long story, feel really dumb, expensive lesson, don't ask :rolleyes:

There's a nice little dimple, about the size of the pad on your pinkie, and the stay is definitely bent. I will be sending it to C-dale to find out for sure and inquire into frame replacement actions, but wondering what you guys thought.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Foot? What foot? I just noticed it was bent one day. j/k Honesty is the best policy. Let us know what happens. I think you will get a replacement frame at a reduced price.

How's your foot?

·
limit screwed
806 Posts
Ouch, hope your foot is alright. To abbreviate a story of my own, I once put my foot into the spokes of the front wheel of the bike I was riding at the time; bent a steel fork over my sneakered foot. Nothing broken, but I wasn't quite right for about a week.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
lemonlime said:
Is it gone?

Non-drive seatstay following collision with foot as my shoe became entangled with my rear wheel. Long story, feel really dumb, expensive lesson, don't ask :rolleyes:

There's a nice little dimple, about the size of the pad on your pinkie, and the stay is definitely bent. I will be sending it to C-dale to find out for sure and inquire into frame replacement actions, but wondering what you guys thought.
it's dead. Cdale used to run a deal where you'd trade in an old frame and get a CAAD5 for a pretty good price, but not anymore. you could ask the rep very nicely, though, and see what he/she says.

so, how did that happen, anyway?

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
weiwentg said:
it's dead. Cdale used to run a deal where you'd trade in an old frame and get a CAAD5 for a pretty good price, but not anymore. you could ask the rep very nicely, though, and see what he/she says.

so, how did that happen, anyway?
My right leg was recently in a brace for eight weeks and shrank away to nothing. I was JRA, pedaling one footed for a few seconds and marveling at my asymetrical limbs. I had my left heel hooked onto the rear QR when I hit a bump or something and my cleat caught on a spoke and was jammed into the wheel.

Pretty dumb, huh? Of course the wheel locked up at about 20 mph, the rubber burned down to the casing in short order as I skidded sideways until I stopped on the shoulder. My shoe was fine, big toe sore for a few minutes and otherwise okay.

I had to replace a spoke and get the wheel trued but otherwise it was alright. I decided that day to buy a new bike and got a '05 Cervelo R2.5 (was looking for a reason to buy a nice new bike anyway), and will send my other frame in to see about a discounted replacement. So, expensive, dumb lesson learned.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
could have been much more expensive and dummer too (trust me on this one). when I was just a little tike riding in the child seat of my mom's bike I too got my foot jammed in the rear wheel. my heel is forever scarred. sounds like they no longer have their replacement at a reduced price policy. if that's the case there was never a foot involved and you plan to keep on riding it since you're a poor college student after all "there's nothing wrong with it". they do put warning stickers under their clearcoat so perhaps they might not want a lawsuit in the future.....but yeah....honesty is the best policy

ps - I intentionally spelled it that way

·
Registered
5 Posts
talking of inserting limbs.. i reached down to flick a lump of dirt off my front forks - big mistake - hand caught a spoke and went straight in and jammed against fork.. front wheel locked and i went over the handlebars.... How stoopid was that... like stamping on your own foot... .. the wheel was bent out of all recognition. Hand and back were only sore and heavily bruised but nothing broken - but i was invincible back in those days.

I never, never, ever let my hands go anywhere near that front spinner nowadays :eek:

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
While in the Navy.......

golzy said:
...bladed spokes. I'd be worried about chopping something off.
... one hot summer's day I was up on the bridge and I reached overhead to adjust a fan. Just as I grabbed the wire cage and twisted the fan into position, we hit a large wave and the ship rolled. Instinctively i grabbed the fan to steady myself and my left index finger slipped inside the cage and into the metal fan blades .... clang clang chomp chomp ....

without looking I grabbed the finger and made it down to sick bay ... leaving a nice trail of blood ... i had to ask the corpsman if I still had a finger .... still have the scar !!!

·
Rollin' Stones
2,560 Posts
I got a good one.

I had a part time kid strt to drop his knife in the market once. It skidded on the table and he bumped the handle then down it went. He made a grab for it and caught the blade. If I remember right, he got 6 stitches in his thumb and 8 stitches on his palm. Lesson learned, if the knives are dropping, let em!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
lemonlime said:
My right leg was recently in a brace for eight weeks and shrank away to nothing. I was JRA, pedaling one footed for a few seconds and marveling at my asymetrical limbs. I had my left heel hooked onto the rear QR when I hit a bump or something and my cleat caught on a spoke and was jammed into the wheel.

Pretty dumb, huh? Of course the wheel locked up at about 20 mph, the rubber burned down to the casing in short order as I skidded sideways until I stopped on the shoulder. My shoe was fine, big toe sore for a few minutes and otherwise okay.

I had to replace a spoke and get the wheel trued but otherwise it was alright. I decided that day to buy a new bike and got a '05 Cervelo R2.5 (was looking for a reason to buy a nice new bike anyway), and will send my other frame in to see about a discounted replacement. So, expensive, dumb lesson learned.
I am impressed you didn't go down with a jammed wheel at 20mph. Especially when it is your body part doing the jammin' <g>.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts