Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pack a gun.

Clinically, mental illness has a relatively constant prevalence in the population. Sometimes, miracles happen. Sometimes, people step away from their religion, with or without the aid of antipsychotics. Others just have a familial form of hyperaggressiveness and irritability. Either way, occationally members of this interesting category of human beings get behind a wheel. Now, while purely sensoric input and motoric output might be perfectly fine in these individuals, something often happens with the central processing of information when there's something called a biker at 12 O'clock.

You have no idea what kind of ruthless episodes I have witnessed while riding. Once I rode behind my dad, and this car pulls up slowly and hits him with the mirror. Dude turns his head and starts laughing (!) Where I live, in Feb there was a story in the press of a female bike rider who was handed some coffee by a bus driver. But the untraditional way, in her face. A few weeks ago, a truck driver tried to push a good national MTBiker off the road twice, before stepping out of the vehicle to beat him with a baseball bat (!) (Never liked baseball for a reason)

Sometimes, this anger and hatred that leads to such behavior can be treated. Sometimes the treatment consist of simple conversation, like telling mr. driver you ain't riding bikes to specifically pi** him off personally. But when the eyeballs are about to pop out of his head as he has pulled over in order to whoop your sorry lil biker a$$, question is whatcha gonna do.

I am not talking about revenge here. I don't really care if the truck driver is a ba*tard cos he was hit as a child, or if he is the reincarnation of the devil. I ain't his shrink. All I care about, is that he is standing in front of me with a baseball bat, and that he might run over one of your kids. And you simply can't expect every bikerider to have a major in psych to treat these danger elements.

Now with that in mind, give me one good reason not to put a .38 in my back pocket and shoot this guy. Just one really, really good reason, when I can plead not guilty on self-defense grounds.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,354 Posts
tricycletalent said:
Now with that in mind, give me one good reason not to put a .38 in my back pocket and shoot this guy. Just one really, really good reason, when I can plead not guilty on self-defense grounds.
They don't come in Carbon Fibre.

HTH YMMV &etc.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
tricycletalent said:
Sometimes, people step away from their religion, with or without the aid of antipsychotics. Others just have a familial form of hyperaggressiveness and irritability.
...because all you will do is prove that you belong in the same group of people.

If you can't handle the road, get on a MTB. Honestly, you apparently have as big of a problem as those you are concerned with.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
biknben said:
...because all you will do is prove that you belong in the same group of people.

If you can't handle the road, get on a MTB. Honestly, you apparently have as big of a problem as those you are concerned with.
Agreed! In over 40 years of road riding, I've experienced little of what you describe. Oh I've had my encounters, and I do live in a busy urban area, populated by people who have sunburned necks (if you grasp my meaning). Mind you, I'm not doubting your word. What I am saying is that adding a weapon to the mix increases the danger that somebody gets hurt / killed by a lot. No, I'm not a gun-control freak...I'm just saying. And yes, their vehicle, ball bat, coffee, tire wrench, whatever, can certainly be considered a weapon. I'm also no coward. In fact I tend to be an "in-your-face" kinda guy. I also know know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em, know when to walk away, and know when to run. Sometimes, it's better to live to fight another day. Introducing a gun to that mix, increases the odds that you won't. My preferred weapon for the type of encounter you describe is a cell phone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Take karate lessons

I suggest that you take karate lessons.

This will build your self esteem, confidence, fitness level, mental acuity, and just in case, prevent anyone from hurting you.

It's a lot more fun than a gun.

The classes are intense, will allow you to work off frustrations, and be calm when in a difficult situation.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Being a concealed carry permit holder, I never once have packed when I ride. The first thing they tell you in the course they require you to take to get a permit is that you don't carry so you can escalate every potential hostile situation to a fight and then use your gun to win it. If you do, you are at the mercy of a jury as to whether you go away for second degree murder. They stress over and over that you disengage, diffuse, or get away if at all possible, the gun is simply your last defense against serious bodily injury or death when you've exhausted every other option.

If you really think about it, the effort you spend stopping, unclipping from your pedals and getting the gun out all without accidentally shooting yourself would be better spent trying to evade them or out manuver them. If you can draw, aim and fire from a bike while riding, you're better coordinated than me because I wouldn't have the nerve to try it. I'd accidentally shoot myself!! Or worse than that, I would shoot an innocent bystander.

If my roads ever get so bad that I feel a need to carry, it's time to find new roads or dust off the mountian bike.

But I realize you're just venting here, and I'm not at all intending to flame. Hope you feel better!!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
tricycletalent said:
Pack a gun.

Clinically, mental illness has a relatively constant prevalence in the population. Sometimes, miracles happen. Sometimes, people step away from their religion, with or without the aid of antipsychotics. Others just have a familial form of hyperaggressiveness and irritability. Either way, occationally members of this interesting category of human beings get behind a wheel. Now, while purely sensoric input and motoric output might be perfectly fine in these individuals, something often happens with the central processing of information when there's something called a biker at 12 O'clock.

You have no idea what kind of ruthless episodes I have witnessed while riding. Once I rode behind my dad, and this car pulls up slowly and hits him with the mirror. Dude turns his head and starts laughing (!) Where I live, in Feb there was a story in the press of a female bike rider who was handed some coffee by a bus driver. But the untraditional way, in her face. A few weeks ago, a truck driver tried to push a good national MTBiker off the road twice, before stepping out of the vehicle to beat him with a baseball bat (!) (Never liked baseball for a reason)

Sometimes, this anger and hatred that leads to such behavior can be treated. Sometimes the treatment consist of simple conversation, like telling mr. driver you ain't riding bikes to specifically pi** him off personally. But when the eyeballs are about to pop out of his head as he has pulled over in order to whoop your sorry lil biker a$$, question is whatcha gonna do.

I am not talking about revenge here. I don't really care if the truck driver is a ba*tard cos he was hit as a child, or if he is the reincarnation of the devil. I ain't his shrink. All I care about, is that he is standing in front of me with a baseball bat, and that he might run over one of your kids. And you simply can't expect every bikerider to have a major in psych to treat these danger elements.

No need for a gun...just be a bit of a weirdo. It comes natural for me....

Many times I've been verbally abused by motorists and mostly I wave. If they start jawing me I'll comment on how big and tough their car is. Sometimes I'll even let them know I have bigger car at home. After that sometimes, I throw in that I have their plate number. If it goes way to far I tell them to run "nondescript white guy on blue bike at the dmv" and see what comes up. When I've clearly crossed the line I'll tell them that I have their plate number and in 6 months when they've forgotten me, I won't have forgotten them and roll away.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
tricycletalent said:
First, a .38 is a revolver making the profile less aero. Second, unless you have a Smith Airlite with the ti bits it is pretty heavy. Third, in a revolver you have to carry at least semi-hot (I guess you could leave the first chamber empty, but that is less than desirable).

With that, I suggest a Keltec .380 without a round in the chamber. At 7 oz. with a slim design, you will barely notice its there :cool:

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm

·
Registered
463 Posts
You could just move to canada.

Last week, while riding I passed 3 unruly youths that had teh NERVE to get out of my way and clap and hoot and holler and yell "go lance"

Just for that I wish I was packing my gun so I could have taught them a lesson once and for all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
handsomerob said:
With that, I suggest a Keltec .380 without a round in the chamber. At 7 oz. with a slim design, you will barely notice its there :cool:

http://www.gunblast.com/KelTec_P3AT.htm
I am licensed to carry in my state and I carry the above mentioned pistol, the P3AT with one in the chamber :), in my jersey pocket as it doesn't weigh much. I see carrying a pistol for protection to be the same as carrying collision insurance on my vehicles. I hope I never have to use either one.

*ETA* I'm amazed at the anti-gunners who don't feel that anyone should be able to carry for protection. Their reasoning is that if they carried a firearm they would likely shoot people who piss them off. I tend to agree with their sentiment. Someone with violence and anger issues should not be carrying a firearrm. I have been licensed to carry a firearm for over 10 years now and I have never drawn my weapon in fear of my life. But, it's nice to have the "insurance" if I may ever need it.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
All you can do with it is shoot somebody.

I'm not an anti-gun nut--I own several, and have taught both my kids to shoot, as a potentially useful skill. I was on a rifle team as a kid and did a tour in Vietnam as a Special Forces medic (I'm not entirely comfortable mentioning that, but I want to establish some cred as being fairly knowledgeable about guns and their impact).
Having said that, though, I've lived in a lot of places, traveled a lot more, and in 40-odd years as an adult, I've never been in a situation except in combat where a gun would have done me any good. That could change tomorrow, and I might wish I were packing, but the situations just don't arise often enough to make it worth the hassle.
There's a whole psychological issue here, too, that nobody's mentioned: Unless you're prepared and able to shoot somebody, a gun's not going to gain you anything. You can pull it out and wave it around, but if that doesn't work, and you can't pull the trigger, you're likely to be wearing it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Well unless you are willing to squeeze the trigger and take someone's life without flinching then carrying a gun is going to put you in a worse position and probably end up with your own gun turned on you. The same goes for carrying a knife, although due to the closer range required a knife is even more dangerous for someone that doesn't both know how to use it and are willing to use it.

In all of the situations you mentioned except maybe for the MTB rider beating a gun would not have made one iota of difference, why did the MTB rider stop though? Why didn't they just keep on riding like a bat out of hell? Were they disabled by getting pushed off the road or were they pissed off and confronted the driver?

In just about all of the cycling fatalities I read about a gun just is not going to help, most accidents are traffic related so what are you going to do wave your gun around in the air and demand that nobody cuts you off or you will shoot them? Just what situations exactly do you think a gun will help you out with?

·
LOOK lover
625 Posts
tricycletalent said:
You scare me more than any of those motorists.

·
Registered
176 Posts
hmmm

I grew up in southern oregon it was 5 guns per person in douglas county. (Feel free to correct me, but that is the number I remember), that said i really wouldn't want to start a gunfight on the road in cycling shoes.

·
Banned
608 Posts
BugMan said:
You scare me more than any of those motorists.
Aside from a couple of people who hunt, all the people I know that are into guns are the type of people who it's scary knowing that they own one. No problems with being prepared to shoot someone for these guys; they would relish the thought of being able to tell the story afterward.

I can just see tricycletalent getting coffee thrown at him, pulling out his hand cannon, and blasting away at a bus full of passengers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.