Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had much luck here in Connecticut. I have had some wheels built up by Colorado cyclist that lasted many years. I had a exact rim,spokes and hub built up by a local (good) shop and have had nothing but trouble with it going out.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had poor experience with locally built wheels as well. I think some builders didn't understand what little margin for error there is in a modern rear wheel (compared to 6 or 7 speed wheels), and the competition from mail order and pre-built wheels put them all out of business. I never even think about going to a local shop for wheel work any more.

em

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
(re-)Build them yourself. Plenty of great online resources on the process. If you have the time and patience seems like a relatively easy process.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I'd also imagine if you went up to Boston or down to NYC you'd find folks that use their wheelbuilding skills more often.

·
pedalpedalpedal
896 Posts
krisdrum said:
(re-)Build them yourself. Plenty of great online resources on the process. If you have the time and patience seems like a relatively easy process.
I agree. I built my first wheelset in February of this year and haven't had any issues, other than minor re-truing after the first 50mi. I was a bit scared to do it at first, but once I was finished, I couldn't believe how easy it'd been.

Or buy that Peter P. guy a pizza.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Gotta disagree

lucer0 said:
Luxe Wheelworks (formerly Svelte Cycles) in Nashua NH.

I purchased some wheels from him and have had nothing but problems with them and his service.

He over promised and under delivered.

·
Registered
75 Posts
High Gear said:
Haven't had much luck here in Connecticut. I have had some wheels built up by Colorado cyclist that lasted many years. I had a exact rim,spokes and hub built up by a local (good) shop and have had nothing but trouble with it going out.
I second this request. I live in southern CT. (New Haven County) and would appreciate any info about the same as well.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
How about in Westchester County, NY? I am riding a set of wheels built by Bicycle World in Mount Kisco and have not had any problems with them in five years well over 10,000 miles. Velocity rims, DA hubs, Wheelsmith spokes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
How about in Westchester County, NY? I am riding a set of wheels built by Bicycle World in Mount Kisco and have not had any problems with them in five years well over 10,000 miles. Velocity rims, DA hubs, Wheelsmith spokes.

I have heard good things about them as well.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Uprwstsdr said:
That's a very good component selection as well which certainly helps.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Older post, but if you're still looking for a shop in CT to build you some whels check out Benidorm Bikes in Canton CT. MY lbs and I know they build wheels for a number of the local teams.

·
Registered
472 Posts
What about Joe Young (http://www.youngwheels.com/), one of the most respected wheel builders in the country? He built wheels for Tom Ritchey when Tom was still wielding a torch. I've got a couple of wheelsets from him (Velocity A23 rims laced to White Industries hubs) for my Sachs and Serotta. He can build a great lightweight set for less than factory built. Mine are just under 1500 grams for 175lb rider with traditional 28H front and 32H back.

Joe is in TX and will call and email to correspond. Nice guy too. One of the wheels came trashed by UPS and he arranged everything from pickup to sending a brand new wheel - didn't even try to salvage anything for fear of future breakage.

Do a Google search and you'll get nothing but praise about him. Takes about 2-3 weeks for delivery from order.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I second Joe Young Wheels. He built a set for me. I'm in Burlington, CT. Only got to ride them twice before all the snow started flying. Very happy with them and look forward riding them in 2011.

Norm

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have also had trouble-free wheels built by Colorado Cyclist. Unless you need something exotic or unusual, why go elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts