Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering going to electronic shifting and would prefer to go eTap or Dura ace but not sure I want to give up my current gearing which is a 32 cassette. I know I can go Ultegra and they may eventually come out with a SRAM equivalent but wondering if anyone made the switch and gave up the 32 cassette for a 28 and what their thoughts were?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
I am considering going to electronic shifting and would prefer to go eTap or Dura ace but not sure I want to give up my current gearing which is a 32 cassette. I know I can go Ultegra and they may eventually come out with a SRAM equivalent but wondering if anyone made the switch and gave up the 32 cassette for a 28 and what their thoughts were?
It really makes no difference what anyone else thinks. You are the only person who can tell whether they need a 32 as part of their regular (or non-regular) riding. Your power, your weight, your hills - those are the thing that determine what gearing you need. Somebody else's power, somebody else's weight, somebody else's hills - meaningless.

For reference, at a constant power output and climbing at a cadence of 70 rpm, going from the 32 to the 28 is going to slow your cadence by 10 rpm.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

can likely keep running the 32T with the short cage derailleur. Depends on the gap between front chainrings. And even still, I just switched my wife's bike from a 28T+short cage ultegradi2 to 32T+short cage (50-34 front) - it required a bit longer chain and can't use the 34-11 is the only restriction (but won't damage it if she does try 34-11).

·
Registered
363 Posts
Do you use the 32 tooth cog frequently or is it just there for a warm fuzzy feeling if you are really struggling? If you aren't on compact gearing on your crank you could swap to that to compensate.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

If you can slum it with Di2 Ultegra, you can keep the 32. (I find I really do need it where I live, even with a compact.)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Or you can run a mixed set up. DuraAce everywhere except rear derailleur there run a long cage Ultegra. I have two bikes one DuraAce other Ultegra both Di2 and I can't tell the shifting difference if there is one. Only delta maybe if you want to run sprint shifters etc. or you really care about the weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use the 32 often as it's nice to test the legs. I live in a hilly area so most of my rides have anywhere from 1500-3500 climbing. I just wonder if it's holding me back fitness wise also

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Try riding without using it, you might be surprised.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
I use the 32 often as it's nice to test the legs. I live in a hilly area so most of my rides have anywhere from 1500-3500 climbing. I just wonder if it's holding me back fitness wise also
1500-3500 over what distance? 20 miles or a hundred miles? It makes a very big difference.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
You don't have to use the lowest gear for every climb. You can shift up if it doesn't hurt enough.

I've read of a few people getting a 9070 derailleur to work on a 32t cog. But it doesn't work for everyone. It depends on your frame's derailleur hanger length. If it doesn't work then the Ultegra derailleur can be used.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The cost of Dura Ace Di2 over Ultegra Di2 is not worth it, especially if you are having to make compromises with your gear ratios.

And you can mix and match parts. I run Dura Ace Di2 shifters on one bike with Ultegra Di2 Derailleurs.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I would say before you spend the money on either electric shifting options, put a 28 on what you have now and try it. I used to use an 11-32 now I'm using a 12-25 and my times on hilly segments is faster. I also love the close gears for everything else.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
If I have it , I use it. If I don't have it i sweat more. Job gets done regardless. On my road bike I'm on semi-compact. We adjust to what we have.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts

Sure, keep the 32 if you live in a hilly area with steep climbs. But man, 28t. with a 39 or compact 34 inner chain ring will get you up any hill on a light weight road bike, no problem. Unless rider is way overweight, that is.

Ahem, we used to race up the sides of Rock Creek Park in DC using 42-21 gearing on 22 pound bikes. We got stronger and faster. We also learned how to work without complaining. These suffer fests taught us how to suffer. Riders are going to suffer anyway, no matter what low gear they have. May as well make it as short as possible in a slightly higher gear! You'll go faster. :D

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Sure, keep the 32 if you live in a hilly area with steep climbs. But man, 28t. with a 39 or compact 34 inner chain ring will get you up any hill in the 28 cog on a light weight road bike, no problem. Unless rider is way overweight, that is.

Ahem, we used to race up the sides of Rock Creek Park in DC using 42-21 gearing on 22 pound bikes. We got stronger and faster. We also learned how to work without complaining. These suffer fests taught us how to suffer. Riders are going to suffer anyway, no matter what low gear they have. May as well make it as short as possible in a slightly higher gear! You'll go faster. :D
I used to think there was something wrong with me when I read stuff like this, and then we had the thread where people posted their average fpm elevation gain, and almost everyone rides flatter stuff than I do.

·
Registered
27,471 Posts
I used to think there was something wrong with me when I read stuff like this, and then we had the thread where people posted their average fpm elevation gain, and almost everyone rides flatter stuff than I do.
How flat? The climbs out of the park are pretty steep. They're under a mile, though. Where do you live, in the mountains? Any climb longer than a minute or two would no doubt welcome that 32--for a while. A little grit and determination usually eliminates the need to use the 32, so after the first couple of years, the legs can handle anything in the 28--or even, gosh, the 25 or 26, especially with a 34 in front.

·
Registered
4,960 Posts
It is also the Internet.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts