Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted some of this on weightweenies forum, but for those of you that are considering the magma mgc (no padding)-- reconsider. I know saddles are a personal thing-- but the lack of any padding coupled w/ the lack of flex in the metal and the flat shape of the saddle just about killed my sitbones once I started riding 40+ miles a day, 5 days a week.
I tried really hard- I loved the way it looked, but my butt said no way. It's also 11.5% over the claimed weight (146g instead of 130g claimed weight).
I'm going to try the selle italia SLR kit carbonio flow- claimed weight 120g, we'll see what the actual is.

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
as a metal-smith I would be very tempted to try to modify it. Paint the seat with Chinese white (or whiteout would work). Lay a piece of carbon paper over it and sit on it and rock. Hopefully this will leave marks from your "anatomy". Get a bucket of fine sand and lay the saddle in it making sure that the sand is packed underneath. Then with a leather mallet or shaped blocks of wood, form dimples for your Sits-bones. Breaking in a Brooks is hard enough, not sure I'd want to try it with my butt on a Magnesium saddle. If that doesn't work, you could always get the Oxy-Acetylene torch and the #5 shades and set it ablaze.....

· Banned
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
but I really dont have the time or the willingness to do that kind of stuff. The good part is I got it from Performance-- they guarantee satisfaction or a 100% refund-- I'm taking the easy out here!

· Frog Whisperer
41,533 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
Thanks,
but I really dont have the time or the willingness to do that kind of stuff. The good part is I got it from Performance-- they guarantee satisfaction or a 100% refund-- I'm taking the easy out here!
see for me, the fact that I could and the action of re-designing it and making it right would be almost as much fun as riding! 'Course there is always the chance I could screw it up and I'd be out the bucks too...LOL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.