Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some new glasses and have been having a hard time finding polarized glasses. I don't like to spend a lot of money on them because they last about one season and that's it. I also want an open lens type design that doesn't have a frame on the bottom of the lens to collect sweat. I don't necessarily "have" to have polarized glasses, but my current ones are and I really like them. They are Uvex brand that I got at Costco, but my last trip there I checked and they didn't have them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
24 Posts
campmor.com has really good prices, i just got the smith empire sliders. They have a section for cycling glasses.

·
papa sboak
1,009 Posts
glasses

I'm poor, so I just look to maximize my dollar. Performance offers some VERY decent sunglasses for the money. Currently for $30. You get 4 lenses (clear, grey, brown, yellow) with the frame. Since they're a PITA to take out, I just bought 3. Each frame has a lens I don't change on it. Clear for night riding (mostly what I do), yellow for time at the firing range (poorly lit places), and grey for driving and day riding (rare occurance). I have 3 frames and 12 replaceable lenses for $90 pre tax. Might not work for you though. If one lens gets a big ugly scratch on it, I'll just replace it. Light & cheap with decent optics (no headaches or substantial warping).

The Specialized sunglasses come with photochromatic lenses which SEEM to be pretty cool. I like the Half Life in red, but can't justify the $140 price tag. Still would've needed a lens for riding at night (I believe in eye protection anytime you're moving faster than 8mph).

Hope this helps. Polarized lenses are expensive. I got over Oakley a long time ago. I used to compete XC in high school and could justify it on a H.S. budget given that I used 'em everyday & besides shoes, they were the only fashion item I had. Now I'm older and want things for their FUNCTION. Saving a buck or two makes me feel old, but infinitely wiser.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Give Wiley X a try!

I used to think Walmart glasses were good enough but I've changed my mind. When I read about the sunglasses that are issued to the military and police (Wiley X) I decided that my eyes deserved the best. Military spec'd to withstand a shotgun blast at 12 feet and 100% UVA/B! Bought a pair of Wiley X PT-1's on Ebay. And they were CHEAP ($12 with three interchangable lenses). IMO better than Rudy Project and Oakley. I'm HaPpY!

·
It's not easy being green
314 Posts
Wally world

I am very hard on glasses, so dropping $150 every time for polarized glasses got really old. If you go to the fishing section of any Wal-mart they have a great selection of polarized glasses from small to large frames. One brand is renegade and they were like $12 bucks. I have two or three pairs and they work great for me. Then when I accidentally leave them on the tailgate of the truck and drive off, I just go get a new pair without crying.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Check out Home Depot or Lowe's. I got a nice pair there for about $12. I don't know if they're polarized, but they're tough.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks a lot...looking at the Wiley X P-2SB model!

El Cheapo said:
I used to think Walmart glasses were good enough but I've changed my mind. When I read about the sunglasses that are issued to the military and police (Wiley X) I decided that my eyes deserved the best. Military spec'd to withstand a shotgun blast at 12 feet and 100% UVA/B! Bought a pair of Wiley X PT-1's on Ebay. And they were CHEAP ($12 with three interchangable lenses). IMO better than Rudy Project and Oakley. I'm HaPpY!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope...got a pair of Kaenon Kore glasses

I bought a pair of the poloarized models from Campmor. They look kinda funky but are great glasses.

·
Registered
635 Posts
for cheap polarized sunglasses ive been using natives they have a great warranty. i got them for about half of what the website msrp is (ripp's). i used em sailing for years. i see the now make interchangeable models

http://www.nativeyewear.com/index.htm

for colored lenses i use spy's. i got them originally for skiing (orange, yellow, rose lense options). they arent interchangeble lenses, but they look sweet and hold up well, ive had a pair of the micro-scoops w/ orange lenses that have endured 3 years now.

http://www.spyoptic.com/the_products/scoop_sunglasses/

·
Banned
656 Posts
husun said:
campmor.com has really good prices, i just got the smith empire sliders. They have a section for cycling glasses.
I second that. Also check out Sierra Trading Post for even better prices on functional high end glasses. I wear polarized Bolle mostly in the car & on the bike which are in the $35 range on a good sale. In a convertible a great fitting frame is essential as blinding midday sun that spills in can ruin the drive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've experimented with all types of sunglasses including expensive brands but not really that many cycling specific glasses though but one thing I always end up doing is going back to Oakley. I honestly feel that Oakley is one of the few "brands" that are actually worth it as they are virtually indestructible and if you do end up doing some dumbass thing like sit on them and break the frame then it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty, I'v had several arms replaced in the past with a minimum of hassle at places I didn't even buy the glasses from let alone have a receipt.

Now I'm more into the cycling I have the half jackets with some dark mirrored lenses for when I'm lounging by the pool and some amber lenses for when I'm riding and despite the price I really can't find fault with them, although it always takes me a minute to remember what way the lenses go in, it would be good if that was marked somehow for dummies like me.

I actually forgot them on the BP MS150 a few weeks ago so at lunch I stopped to buy a $40 pair (Nerve was the brand) from one of the little traveling bike shops and they broke as I was putting them on at the start of the second day, I was not impressed...

·
Banned
656 Posts
jaseone said:
I've experimented with all types of sunglasses including expensive brands but not really that many cycling specific glasses though but one thing I always end up doing is going back to Oakley. I honestly feel that Oakley is one of the few "brands" that are actually worth it as they are virtually indestructible and if you do end up doing some dumbass thing like sit on them and break the frame then it has a lifetime no questions asked warranty, I'v had several arms replaced in the past with a minimum of hassle at places I didn't even buy the glasses from let alone have a receipt.
You may have almost as many pairs of glasses as me. I probably have 10 pairs of Bolle, several Native, some Oaklleys & a clasic pair of Gargoyles. Have a pair of Performance polarized glasses I wear working the track (auto racing). Oakleys rock but are pricy.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Head to your local Home Depot or Lowe's. You'll find a decent selection of cheap (ten to fifteen dollars), halfway-stylish glasses.

·
Colorado Springs, CO
629 Posts
I second Home Depot...They used to carry ECHO brand sunglasses (the same brand as the string trimmers). They are actually polarized safety sunglasses. Not frameless, but they look kind of cool with a silver frame and have rubberized ear tips to keep them in place on your head. Try also Walgreens or Longs -- lots of cehap sunglasses there too. Grocery stores sometimes sell them too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I picked up a pair of Optic Nerve Filaments from netshades.com a month ago. I really like them, very light weight and they come with 2 sets of interchangeable polarized lenses..brown and gray. After I bought them from netshades.com, I picked up a Quality Bike Products catalog and QBP carries them now so you should be able to get them through your LBS.

I recently got contacts and had to switch riding glasses because the Smiths that I was using let in too much wind and my contacts were drying out. This isn't a problem with the Filaments.

I tried Tifosi glasses, but their polarized model didn't fit my face. Good design though. I purchased and returned those through Excel Sports.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts