Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
GMR from the bottom from Sierra Madre Blvd is closed up to the junction at Glendora Ridge Rd. to all traffic M-F, but open to cyclists and pedestrians on weekends. The back side, frrom East Fork to GRR is open to traffic every day, as is Glendora Ridge Rd. out to Mt Baldy Village.

GMR/GRR is one of my favorite places to cycle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, just moved to this area, so not familiar w/ the geography around the
starting point, but can you tell me where's a good place to park
my car at the bottom of the GMR , what about parking
at the bottom of Mt. Baldy Road? THANKS.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yep, that's a great place...

CC39 said:
Hi, just moved to this area, so not familiar w/ the geography around the
starting point, but can you tell me where's a good place to park
my car at the bottom of the GMR , what about parking
at the bottom of Mt. Baldy Road? THANKS.
Park in the lot right at the bottom of Baldy Rd (I forget the name of the street it intersects with). It gives you a great warm-up before hitting GMR.

·
Registered
106 Posts
G-mapped: Glendora Mountain Road Via Hwy 39 and East Fork

stihl said:
A good place to park is at Encanto Park in Duarte to go up GMR/Mt Baldy.
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=173903

If you zoom in you will see the starting point of Encanto Park, just across the San Gabriel River from Hwy 39.

Also, click on the link to view the elevation graph. Highest point of this loop is 3433' elevation!

·
Custom Title= ?
785 Posts
More San Gabriel Canyon

Thanks for the excellent map for those of us who appreciate the level of route detail.

Rode much of your same loop Thursday AM. I continued up San Gabriel Canyon to the West Fork and rode it to the Dam and back down before continuing on up the East Fork leg. As the GMR south of GRR is closed M-F daylight hours, I rode up GRR over to Baldy Village, back down San Antonio Canyon and through town back to Encanto Park (a bit over 75 miles).

I recommend riding San Gabriel Canyon during the weekdays as the traffic is quite minimal. If you ride the Canyon on weekends, get an early start to beat the traffic. On weekends, I'm more inclined to ride up GMR from Glendora over the top and down into East Fork, then back up to GRR and over to Baldy. Return any way you like, but I do like bombing back down the GMR switchbacks.

I highly recommend riding the West Fork Road if you are going up San Gabriel Canyon. That loop is worth all the trouble of riding the Canyon. Bonus KOM points for riding the last half mile up the ramp to the top of Cogswell Dam.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ohm_S.Ohm said:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=173903

If you zoom in you will see the starting point of Encanto Park, just across the San Gabriel River from Hwy 39.

Also, click on the link to view the elevation graph. Highest point of this loop is 3433' elevation!
What is the difference b/w going up G.Cyn. Rd -East Fork and descend
on GMR versus, going up GMR and descending GCyn.Rd. in terms of
gradient/difficulty, traffic, scenery? Thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
CC39 said:
What is the difference b/w going up G.Cyn. Rd -East Fork and descend
on GMR versus, going up GMR and descending GCyn.Rd. in terms of
gradient/difficulty, traffic, scenery? Thanks.
My preference is to do the loop clockwise (up SG Cyn, East Fork, GMR). The climb up SG Canyon rolls a bit, and it's better to get that out of the way in the morning. Also, traffic is less in the morning. And I like the descent down the fron of GMR much more than the back.

But it's nice to go the other way once in awhile, although you don't want to go that way until the fall, when all the picnicers go away again. That canyon is the most popular place in the Angeles National Forest, and it gets really busy in the summer. Hot too.

mechanical g said:
We need to keep GMR closed to cars forever.
I love that ride.
Once repairs are made to GMR will it open to cars?
Alas, it will indeed be open for cars again some day. Although progress seems very slow, so I don't think it will be for awhile. It was incredible when the entire road was closed AND Glendora Ridge Rd was closed. It was that way for a long time. Sure was nice.

·
pinoy thunder
342 Posts
I rarely see a car on Glendora Ridge anyway.

Descending GMR down to Glendora never gets old. Just don't overshoot the tight corners..or your dead.
Speaking of overshooting corners, last month while climbing GMR from East Fork, I saw tire skid marks on a corner through one of the rails. And this is near the top of the climb..Uuggh..still gives me the creeps thinking about it. Anyhow, ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
90 Posts
LCFrecrider said:
I had been checking out this thread for a while and did GMR and some of GRR today. It is great. If you go to Baldy and come down into Claremont, waht si the best route back to the base of GMR?
Stay on Mt Baldy Rd until it end at Mills. If you look slightly to the right up Mill Ave, you will see an entrance to a bike path. Take the bike path and stay on it until it ends at Baseline Rd. It's a nice bike path. Turn onto Baseline, which becomes Rt 66, then Foothill. It's a nice, wide boulevard, and you can make good time one it. One you get back to Glendora, take a right up Valley Center Drive, and stay on it until it ends at Sierrra Madre Blvd, and you are there. You can see this route very well on Google Earth.

This isn't a bad route, but doing an out-and-back on GMR-GRR is MUCH better. I've done the Mt Baldy Rd ooption a few time, usually when when weather has been too threatening to risk going back on GRR. (It can turn bad quickly in the winter.) Mt Baldy Rd is a very fast descent, so you can get down quickly, but it can be sketchy in places, especially with the very fast car traffic right beside you. It's not for the faint of heart. Also, I don't recommend this in the summer, because it's always hot on Baseline, etc., and it just drags on and on. Much better to be decend down from the elevation more gradually on GRR/GMR, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just moved to Glendora and am looking for some good rides. Right now I'm riding to Bonelli and back from my place on the corner of Grand and Gladstone, but I have been hearing a lot about GMR and would like to try it. Is it still closed to cars? Are there a bunch of motorcycles racing up and down as well as cars racing up and down. What is the average grade of climb? And what is the max grade? How far up is the guard shack that people say to turn around at?

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
rloyola0426 said:
I just moved to Glendora and am looking for some good rides. Right now I'm riding to Bonelli and back from my place on the corner of Grand and Gladstone, but I have been hearing a lot about GMR and would like to try it. Is it still closed to cars? Are there a bunch of motorcycles racing up and down as well as cars racing up and down. What is the average grade of climb? And what is the max grade? How far up is the guard shack that people say to turn around at?
I haven't ridden it in a while but iirc, on Glendora Mtn road it is not unusual to see gradients of 7%-9%. Especially at the bottom where there are switchbacks. HTH

·
Registered
11 Posts
thank you, that info does help a lot. whay haven't you ridden it recently, is there a better ride out in that area? i would like alternates in case GMR proves to be too difficult for me or if i get turned off by racing motorcycles

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.