Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by the Rivendell Glorius, I purchased an old Raleigh Olympian mixte for my wife. The frame was surprisingly nice--triple butted chrome moly and forged dropouts with nice Tiawanese brazing. I stripped it, had it powder coated and built it up with
Phil Hubs/Mavic MA3 rims, Sugino XD Pro 48-36-26 crankset, MKS Tourlite pedals, Deore LX derailleur, Brooks Women's Pro saddle, Giles Bertround stainless steel fenders, Nitto North Road handlebars, and Brooks leather grips. The only thing I don't like aesthetically are the rapid fire shifters.

·
Registered
168 Posts
EXCELLENT!! (You'll have to imagine the air guitar riffs following that exclamation!) That will do well to serve as inspiration for me to finish my wife's Raleigh Record mixte. I don't think she will end up with the nice mix of components, though. I am going to have to stay with the original stuff, although I think it will ride nicely. I am thinking about changing out the drop bar.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
7 cogs on freewheel

fbagatelleblack said:
Beeootius! Nice job.

How many cogs on the rear cassette? You may have options other than the trigger shifters. Bar ends?

Thanks for the post. I always enjoy checking out nicely executed projects like this.

- FBB
I might be able to talk my wife into bar ends. After the initial ride she decide that the North Road handlebars are too narrow and swept back to far for comfort and control. If I can find some handlebars that meet her needs and accept barcons, I'll go that way. I'd like to put on downtube shifters, but that ain't gonna happen.

·
Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most components scavanged

slowmo1 said:
EXCELLENT!! (You'll have to imagine the air guitar riffs following that exclamation!) That will do well to serve as inspiration for me to finish my wife's Raleigh Record mixte. I don't think she will end up with the nice mix of components, though. I am going to have to stay with the original stuff, although I think it will ride nicely. I am thinking about changing out the drop bar.
I Ebayed Phil/Mavic MA3the rear wheel for about $90 delivered--it's in perfect shape but is 126 mm freewheel hub. I planned on using it for one of my bikes until I started this project. Once I had the Phil wheel, I had to go with nice stuff. Everything except the pedals, handlebars, grips, stem, fenders, and front wheel were Ebayed or scavanged from another bike. It was not my orignal intent to make this so nice, but my wife rides quite a bit and this was way, way less cost and more fun than a Rivendell Glorious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.