Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started riding a road bike recently after a year on a comfort hybrid, (before that, no riding for about 35 years). Problem is, with both bikes, I've had issues with my hands going numb. Im using Specialized gloves, with gel padded palms...they were about 40.00 bucks. Is there a better glove out there with significantly more padding, or weight distributing qualities?.

I ride most of the time with my hands on the hoods, hardly ever gripping the bar "top".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think my fit is pretty good, my LBS spent a lot of time with me during fitting. I just read Cale 262s reply and I think he nailed it. I discovered I was "locking" my elbows straight. Tried maintaining a slight bend in my elbows and that made a big improvement. He's also right about core strength. Im 60, and have been loosing weight for about 13 months now, and I'm sure much is muscle mass. Going to start working on core strength....makes sense. Thanks for the help.
Anyone know of a better glove than Specialized?

·
Registered
865 Posts
More padding doesn't always equal more comfort. I get numb hands from padded gloves. I now ride with gloves that have zero padding and that solved my problem.
+1. padded gloves make my hands numb. no gloves, no tingling. the only reason i keep trying to make gloves work is cause it's better to wipe the nose with them on than the bare hand. hadn't thought of non-padded gloves before, but i now i'll look into it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have 2 pair of gloves and the non-padded is definitely more comfortable.....but most comfortable of all is no gloves at all.

but if your centre of gravity is too far forward then nothing will help......adjust your bike fit by moving your centre of gravity back.....try sliding the saddle back just a bit. you may need to raise your bars or get a shorter stem as well.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
+ a lot on no padding. Your hands have pads in the appropriate places. Padding in gloves or on bars can push up between your hand's pads and puts pressure on nerves. No gloves, or gloves with no padding work the best for me. Most glove brands have models with no or minimal padding.

·
Registered
161 Posts
For me, road bike comfott comes down to fit ... I use no gloves or gloves with min padding - I hate bulk - and can ride for hrs without any pain - so to reiterate the above fit is key.

That said I had a huge problem with my mtn bike having a straight bar. I use my mtn bike to tow my kids around on the road and in 30 minutes my hand were hurtin bad. The pain was on the outer palm - opposite side as my thumb. Solution was to move from a straight bar to a bar with bend - that straight bar doesn't provide a natural fit for me. What type of bar are you using?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
In addition to what others have mentioned.
Learn wear the pressure/pinch points are for the Ulnar and Median nerves from your neck/elbow, and wrist; numb hands can be a result of any of them. Learn something about "nerve flossing" - this applies to your general well being

·
Registered
230 Posts
padded gloves suck...For me, and maybe you too. My hands are just too beefy and combine that with padding, my hands go to sleep.

Try the Giro DND or castelli aero gloves, neither have padding just a thin leather cover. and I use both of them frequently without issue.

the DND can be found on sale often for about $10/pair.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
OK, I'll speak for the opposition. I always wear gloves & they're always gel padded gloves. Spenco's Rip It or Pro gloves are the best ever.

·
Fat and slow but trying
963 Posts
Running into the same problem. Been riding with my unpadded mountain bike full finger gloves and after just a few miles, total numbness. To the point I have trouble shifting and braking. Thought I'd try padded fingerless. I like the fingerless, but the padding is worse. Not only do I get numb just as fast and just as bad, now the heel of my hands is painful. Back to the full finger gloves for now, the lesser of two evils I suppose. Next attempt to alleviate the issue is a proper fitting, if I can find someplace in my BFE area to get it done.

·
Banned
697 Posts
There are a number of things that can be done to relieve hand pain, I know because I experienced it.

1. Raise the handlebars to the height of the saddle. You need to get a stem for this.

2. Get a wider handlebar, wider is better.

3. Wrap the handlebars with more gel tape.

4. Wear Ironman Spenco gloves.

5. Learn how to position your hands, few people know the correct hand position while riding. Read post #30 on this forum, from DannoXYZ, study it.

Thumbs going dead on embarrassingly short rides - Page 2

·
Registered
152 Posts
More padding doesn't always equal more comfort. I get numb hands from padded gloves. I now ride with gloves that have zero padding and that solved my problem.
This mirrors my experience except that I lost the one pair of gloves I managed to find that didn't have any padding. I can't find anything now without these hideous gel inserts or layers of foam that all hurt or cause numbness.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.