Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Old enough to know better
720 Posts
This is another one of those 6 of one, a half dozen of the other posts. People will say foam is crap and others will say gel is garbage. I ve always ridden some kind of foam glove for the only reason that all the gloves I ve had were either gifts or I won them. I have nothing against gel, tho some people will post and say the gell could come out of the "packaging" area its in, and that would be a bit messy. The gell wont "crush" down but as a liquid it will be displaced and put pressure on the outer parts of its "container". You prolly cant go wrong with either but both have their strengths and weaknesses.

· Registered
91 Posts
I just went through this process. I hit a hole that jarred the heal of my hand and sent the electric shock up my arm. That was enough. To the LBS and tried on several pairs then went to the bikes and climbed on. I quickly determined that where gel is concerned, there definitely can be too much of a good thing. Didn't like the "feel" and the bulk really got me, also, riding here in Dallas area, heat was a concern. So I ended up with a lighter weight, full cloth wipe on the thumb and a moderately gel filled glove. They are my first pair and I have two 40 mile rides on them and they seem to be really good. Stamp

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
I used the 'Trico' gel gloves when I first started riding, and they were great. Really helped with the vibration, jarring issues that caused my hands to go numb. After a while the gel started to migrate to other areas, but by then my hands were better acclimated to riding and no longer needed them. Now just a good synthetic leather glove does it for me. :)

· Registered
650 Posts
I love minimally padded gloves i have both gel and foam. If its a well designed glove both are equally as good i have specialiaed bg gloves love them (foam) i also use troy lee or pearl long finger gloves pearl are great but dont fell like they will last long (gel) get what fits your hand and what feels good when holding your style of bars campy or shimaNo

· Registered
21,832 Posts
Or neither

A third alternative is to free yourself. I've not worn gloves (except for warmth) since the '70s, and can't tell that I've suffered in any way. There have been a few crashes along the way, but I've never cut up my palms. YMMV

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
With or without you

The no-gloves thing works for some, but I can't deal with not having gloves on all but the most casual of rides. My palms get all sweaty and start sliding all around the hoods. No good!

I don't like gel OR foam, just plain ol' team gloves, with lycra backs and one extra layer of material for the heel of the hand.

· I'm wearing 4" stilettos
205 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
A third alternative is to free yourself. I've not worn gloves (except for warmth) since the '70s, and can't tell that I've suffered in any way. There have been a few crashes along the way, but I've never cut up my palms. YMMV
Free feels good, but then you can't do the "brush the tire with the palm of your hand" move to get crap off of it before it causes a flat. This move has saved me many a time. Of course you have to be careful not to jam your hand between the wheel and the frame, and if you do I don't think it's going to make a difference whether you have gel or foam...you goin down!

The main reason why I choose gloves over bare: the terry cloth swatch on the back/thumb - makes a great sweat/snot wiper. I can't imagine riding without em!

My vote is for gel. I've used them both and the gel seems to do a better job of minimizing road shock.

· Breakin' Stuff
439 Posts
I honestly can't stand any kind of padding on the palms. Drives me crazy... Give me the thinnest gloves, maybe a re-inforced palm with a sweet-spot to wipe the sweat & I'm a happy guy.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Mocat4 said:
Free feels good, but then you can't do the "brush the tire with the palm of your hand" move to get crap off of it before it causes a flat. This move has saved me many a time. Of course you have to be careful not to jam your hand between the wheel and the frame, and if you do I don't think it's going to make a difference whether you have gel or foam...you goin down!

The main reason why I choose gloves over bare: the terry cloth swatch on the back/thumb - makes a great sweat/snot wiper. I can't imagine riding without em!

My vote is for gel. I've used them both and the gel seems to do a better job of minimizing road shock.
Funny how you don't realize the benefits of something until pointed out.... I was thinking about going gloveless for a ride after reading Kerry's post and then I read this and was like, yeah, I do that a lot and would be up a creek without the gloves.

I have been riding on the tubulars so it is important for me to be able to brush the gravel off.

· your god hates me
1,604 Posts
Mocat4 said:
Free feels good, but then you can't do the "brush the tire with the palm of your hand" move to get crap off of it before it causes a flat.
+1!

The main reason why I choose gloves over bare: the terry cloth swatch on the back/thumb - makes a great sweat/snot wiper.
+2!

I'm in glove hell right now: my ancient TricoSport full gel palm gloves are too old to be particularly effective, yet new gloves all seem to have migrated away from the full coverage gel palms; now they all have these "ergonomically placed" little gel islands so as not to put pressure on your ulnar or medial nerves. Thing is, *none* of the new gloves I've tried offer as much shock absorbtion as the old full gel palm Trico's. I've bought 3 different pairs of gloves in the past 2 months & I still wind up using my 4 year old TricoSport gel palms.

· Registered
543 Posts
It is too soon for me to really tell but I am very happy with my Spenco Iron Man gloves. I had gloves with little or no padding.It has only been 2 weeks and 4 rides. I was getting numb hands and in addition at the end of 50 miles or more my palms felt sore. All of this could of been caused by a number of reasons one of which is a pinched nerve in my neck. Another could possibly not distributing the weight evenly on the 3 contact points, hands, seat, pedals. In any case after a 60 mile ride my hands were not sore and I experienced very little if any numbing in my hands. What I like about these particular golves, in addition to a modest $20 price tag is the gel is a little thinner than some on other gloves.

· Registered
48 Posts
Also looking for gloves

After a recent crash, there is a whole in my left glove at the palm, and a whole in the right back side of my right glove. I like the old mesh back gloves, which I cant seem to find many of. Might have to make the switch to current designs.

· Registered
339 Posts
I like the Assos gloves, very minimal padding with a good terry cloth area for wiping and a lycra back to keep things nice and cool. I also tried on some of the Team CSC gloves from Descente (it was for a fashion show before anyone gets on my back about being a poser) and I quite liked those sop I may look into some Descente gloves, after all my yellow Assos don't match all my outfits! :D

· Registered
9,274 Posts
Never/Ever

I have never ridden with gloves, even when mountian biking. I would have to say that sweat is not an issue for me, I don't know if my hands have adapted or what but I never slipp off the hoods and if I want to brush off gravel I just unclip and use my shoe to brush the tire.

Anyways I have always thought abuot buying gloves but then I think "hey I could buy this cool new part for my bike instead" and so after 6 years of riding bikes I still have never owned a pair of gloves.

P.S. I live in deep south Texas (10 minutes from the southermost border) so wearing gloves for the cold has never really been an issue. It's gonna be somewhere in the 100 today

· Banned
657 Posts
I must have at least 10 pairs of gloves. I use them till the padding (gel or foam) gives up & throw them away. I like Pearl, Descente & Fox best. The piece covering the thum is key. No seams to rub is what I look for.

· Registered
36 Posts
Most gel gloves these days are not liquid gel. The gel comes in the form of "pads" that can be stacked to varying degrees of thickness. I have used all kinds of gloves but I prefer gel, though a single or double layer of gel padding is sufficient.

· Banned
471 Posts
I tried the Spenco, but they got hard on Me after some time. Spenco was tried after Chiba. Chiba having their "stitching" coming apart' unstitched. In the upper palm area. Those 2 top horizontal lines. The company would not accept the gloves in excange for a new pair. Disputed with Me. So I tried Spenco to no satisfaction. Tried Chiba again (new pair, as Spenco to no satisfaction) : Another problem. The leather, only in the inner palm area. (A vertical line, at the margin of 1/3 into the hand.) Has peeled off. Always looking for new gloves --- to come --- on the market.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.