Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some Tufo Road elite sew ups for my new Carbon Wheelset.

I have a couple of questions:
The guy at World Class sent me Hutchinson glue I forgot to specify Conti glue. Anybody have experince with the hutchinson glue? I figure it is the same stuff just different marketing dept.
I have Cane Creek Aros wheels, is acetone OK to clean the contact surface?

·
Cycling
288 Posts
at our shop we actually prefer hutchinson, but have found that panaracer works well too..........just make sure any glue you buy has a strong smell to it, that generally means its the real deal. We tried using some white smelless glue, but the tire was basically cemented t the rim and took us three days to remove.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Either Vittoria Mastik 1 or Conti glue will work equally well. Anything else is crap.
If you have Conti tires, only use Conti glue, because the base tape on Conti tires doesn't like the solvents in Vittoria glue.(after the second glue job, the base tape may start to peel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm on my way

The process has started. Stretching the tubes now. Base glue tomorrow night.

I will post a report after the job is completed. I'll use the Hutchinson glue on the assumption that Tufo and Hutchinson glue are compatible and because the guy that sold them to me (World Class Cycles) knows what he is doing. And wants to keep me as a customer.
Thanks for the comments!

John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Task completed

I have completed glueing the 1st set of sew up in a long time. I used the Cane Creek Aros 58, Tufo Road Elites, Hutchinson glue, and the Park Tool recomendations. I did however read no fewer than ten articles on the subject and consulted with a couple of my bike gurus. I found it much easier than I remembered. The key is go slow and be precise and when the time comes put the hammer down and get the thing on the rim.
Here is about the only hint I can pass on. I was dipping the acid brush in the glue dish ( I thought the direct tube squeeze would be messy and inacurate) and 'twirling' like the technique used for spagetti. I was doing a lot of twirling and the glue drip took for ever to break off. I resorted to dip pull up, and drop, pull up, and drop and the glue would part. :mad2:

So if the weather hold out tomorrow I will give them a run then race em the next day.

The set up is just under a pound less than My clincher Bontrager Race X lites. The Cane Creek propangda says a lot of the weight is on the hub vs rim. We shall see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.