Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I’ve decided to run tubular on my new set of wheels. I’m having a set of Edge 1.45 built they should be in a couple of weeks. I’ve never glued a tubular before and wanted to verify that I got things straight.
1. Stretch the tire
2. Apply one or two base coats of glue to both the rim and tire. Allow each coat to cure at least 12 to 24 hours.
3. Apply final coat of glue and immediately place the place the tube on the rim starting at the valve and working evenly in both directions around the rim.
4. Inflate and allow curing over night.
Some questions

1. What’s the best way of stretching the tube?
2. How many tubes of glue are needed? They look small not sure how far it goes.
3. I’m planning on running Vittoria Corsa CX’s will I need to get a valve extender. I know the wheel come with one but is it long enough to use with the Edge 1.45 anyone else running this combination.

Thanks
Vince

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
Stretch the tire on a spare rim for at least overnight. Pump them up to pressure.

One or two tubes of glue should be enough. Don't overdo it with how much glue you apply.

Check with the wheel manufacturer to see if valve extenders are included. They were with my Reynolds wheels but I upgraded to the Tufo extenders.

Couple more things:

When I do the final gluing I leave a glueless space at the opposite end of the wheel from the valve stem. This way I have a spot I can start with when I get a flat and need to peel the tire off.

When you mount the tire, put about 10 lbs of air in it. It will make the mounting easier.

It's also nice if you have a friend there to lend a hand.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
Thin, thin, thin

fassa b said:
2. Apply one or two base coats of glue to both the rim and tire. Allow each coat to cure at least 12 to 24 hours.
A common mistake by first timers is to make those glue layers too thick. Then you have a big wad of glue between the rim and tire. Make them as thin as possible. Me, I only ever used one layer on each, and didn't use the fresh layer just before mounting. There is more than one way to do it.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
#1 If you are using them for racing, do not leave a space opposite the valve without glue. The glue bond is your lifeline. You live or die on it.
#2 After mounting the tire, put the wheel in the bike and spin, to see if there are any lumps or wiggles. Adjust while still wet.
#3 There is no "e" in Tubular.
#4 You will probably get glue all over the sidewalls and your rim, so don't cry when it happens. Every time you do it, you get better at it.
#5 When you finish, don't drop your wheels on your freshly cut lawn.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
w/ vittoria tires, you'll probably want 2 thin coats on the tire and 3 on the rim. i find that if i let the glue on the tire dry and do the last coat on the rim, wait a few minutes, then mount the tire...it's a lot cleaner. take temperature into account, if it's hot, you only need to wait a couple of minutes before mounting the tire, or you'll never get it straight once it's on. if it's cool, (maybe below 65), you've got a bit more time. as one of the previous posters stated, put some air in the tire when you mount it, that will help keep glue off the sidewall. and as the other guy said, DO NOT leave a gap in your glue job. in the old days when everyone raced on tubulars, the officials would check every tire before they started the race...if they found a gap like that, you were done before the start.

i use a nitrile glove when applying glue, that way i can keep the coats thin and smooth, but done have to clean glue off my fingers all the time.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
2 thin coats on the tire, right to the edge of the basetape.

Insert the valve first and stretch HARD the tire over the first half to avoid a loose fit at the valve and too tight on the opposite side.

If you get glue all over the place, clean it up with some Toluene (solvent availabe at your hardware store).

I use 2 tubes per new rim and tire, I just buy the big cans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts