Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find them to me completely useless. I tried to fix a flat with them last night and the patch kept blowing off at about 100 PSI. Got so mad that I threw the tube and patch kit away. Just ordered 3 new tubes and patches with glue...

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I find them to me completely useless. I tried to fix a flat with them last night and the patch kept blowing off at about 100 PSI. Got so mad that I threw the tube and patch kit away. Just ordered 3 new tubes and patches with glue...
yup....

//they do work OK for lower pressure tires IME

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I've never gotten one to work. They are easily the most useless cycling product ever created.
+1

Never ever got them to work. Park Tools, Slime, Bell... you name it it doesn't work.

Maybe it does for MTB low pressure, for road, USELESS

·
Bikespace member
4,461 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
FAIL :yesnod:

i've used them several times, all with success. I actually used one last week, pumped it up to 110psi and it's still holding air just fine.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I carry them with me, and I've used them several times out on the road and have never had a problem. I find them to be very handy and convenient. I've even patched tubes quickly with them without taking the wheel off.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
5,051 Posts
They work ok if you make sure you get all the white releasing agent off the rubber before applying the patch. I don't know how you get 100+ psi with a handpump, someone must be using their wrist more often then me... They're perfect as a temporary patch. When I get home I put on a new tube.

·
Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
Been using them successfully for 2 years, until 2 weeks ago. The tire lost pressure after sitting for 2 minutes at 80 lbs (it suddenly just went pssssssssssttt), but when I demounted the tirea and removed the tube, the patch was holding. Finally, in frustration, which was compounded by the fact that these were the tightest tires I ever mounted, I threw the tube away. Now, thanks to your post, I understand what happened.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use proper patches at home, but I sometimes carry some glueless ones in my pocket whem I'm riding, just cos there's less to carry around. Last weekend the glue on the glueless patches I was carrying became mobile (it wasn't a hot day, so I'm reluctant to say it melted) and ran all over the pocket of my best cycling jersey... grrr

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
KeeponTrekkin said:
Been using them successfully for 2 years, until 2 weeks ago. The tire lost pressure after sitting for 2 minutes at 80 lbs (it suddenly just went pssssssssssttt), but when I demounted the tirea and removed the tube, the patch was holding. Finally, in frustration, which was compounded by the fact that these were the tightest tires I ever mounted, I threw the tube away. Now, thanks to your post, I understand what happened.

you didn't clean the tube before patching? no wonder it failed

·
It's Good For You!
436 Posts
I've used them for a few years with no issues. I've even patched a leak in my camel back that I use for mtb. You really need to make sure the tube is clean and free of talc for it to stick well. Other wise, I can see issues.

·
Bike Dude
993 Posts
You have to sand the area a little bigger than the size of the patch. Use the little metal grater that comes in the kit or substitute a small square of sandpaper or small sanding disk. And clean the tube before you patch it.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I don't like'em either. Give me the good, old fashioned sand the tube & glue it on patches. I've very rarely had one of those fail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.