Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the experienced tubular users please answer this question for me. Is it mission impossible to glue a tubular tire straight? I am trying my best and no go. I try three times on the same tire and about to sell these wheel set. What is good enough?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
a bit of tire wobble is fine - has no effect on rolling resistance etc. If you know a good shop nearby why not ask them to give you a lesson to pick up some tips

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put enough glue three thin layers both on my wheels and tires. The small wobble worried me a bit I almost gave up on Tubular.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,425 Posts
You need to make minor adjustments while the glue is still wet. Put the glued wheel in your frame and spin the wheel to check for roundness, twisting and straightness of tread.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Define straight

shaochieh said:
I put enough glue three thin layers both on my wheels and tires. The small wobble worried me a bit I almost gave up on Tubular.
The tread on a tubular is not always exactly straight relative to the chafing tape that goes over the sewn section, so if you align the chafing tape, you might see some tread wiggle and vice versa. As others have noted, you should mount the tire, pump it up slightly, and then complete the alignment process before pumping to full pressure.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
General thought.

shaochieh said:
What is good enough?
20+ years with tubulars and in my view, good enough is what you can accept. Nothing will run as perfectly straight and round as a good clincher, so give your tubulars a break and let them wiggle just a bit if that's what they want to do. Not going to hurt the riding. :)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Mr Grumpy's answer is very good. After allowing the glue to dry on the tire and rim, apply another thin layer of glue to the rim and wait for it to become tacky before mounting the tire. Pump the tire up so it is round but soft and you will be able to move the tire enough to get it straight. Straight enough is good enough and I can't feel any wobble even though there must be some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts