Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time I am gluing my own tubulars and I am wondering if vertical trueness of the tubulars is important for a racer? I have just reglued my tires back to my zipps coz the glue seemed to have been washed off by lots of wet weather riding and it seems that I cant seem to get the tires on vertically true. Lateral trueness is excellent tho. There is a 1-3mm hump at a portion of the tire and is noticable if u spin the wheel in the stand. Is it a concern or is it impossible to get a tubular nicely true vertically? I have seen tubulars glued by more experienced wrenchers and they do not seem very vertically true all the time but mine looks a bit worst. THe vertical untrueness should not cause a wipeout or watever during my crit race in 24hrs time right?

·
Super Moderator
19,480 Posts
A vertically true tubular tire is as rare as the proverbial uncooked steak. As a rule of thumb, the more expensive the tire the more likely it is to be actually round, but I've come to expect that any tire I put on will have a lump or a curve. Vittoria CX and CG's are generally pretty good, though. And so are Continental Sprinters. As for your 1-3 mm hump, that's actually a lot better than most.

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Wait a second...how did " the glue seemed to have been washed off by lots of wet weather riding" happen??? Have you been riding through monsoon rains? if so, you probably want to reconsider when and where you use tubulars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts