Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read lots of stuff about eating after a ride, I understand there's a glycogen window (may be an hour, best to eat inside 15 or 20 minutes) and that you should shoot for both carbs and protein (anything from 3:1 to 10:1, or maybe doesn't matter at all because its calories that count). All that's clear (relatively), but the size of that meal is still a mystery to me.

Am I looking for a meal's worth of food, say 350-500 calories? Or a snack sized deal, say 150-300 calories? Or more or less?

Does it change if one's looking to cut weight while training?

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Val_Garou said:
Ok, I've read lots of stuff about eating after a ride, I understand there's a glycogen window (may be an hour, best to eat inside 15 or 20 minutes) and that you should shoot for both carbs and protein (anything from 3:1 to 10:1, or maybe doesn't matter at all because its calories that count). All that's clear (relatively), but the size of that meal is still a mystery to me.

Am I looking for a meal's worth of food, say 350-500 calories? Or a snack sized deal, say 150-300 calories? Or more or less?

Does it change if one's looking to cut weight while training?
I would think you'd want to eat more of a meal than a snack in order to saturate the response. You could always go to Pubmed and look at research if you want to put some real numbers on it.

· Registered
262 Posts
I drink recoverite by Hammer Nutrition (sometimes double serving or more if needed) and toss back some amino acid tablets. There are plenty of drinks to choose from. Some are higher in sugars or calories and fat than others. Chocolate milk is an option occasionally but it is high in saturated fat.

The calories need to come from the protien to re-build tissue and carb to restore glycogen stores. My favorite post ride FOOD would be sushi or pasta w/chicken. my .02

· Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
gatorling said:
I've heard 100g-200g of carbs with a 4:1 carb:protein ratio.
Uh, 200g of carbs and 50g of protein comes out to 1000 Calories, plus misc fat in the food. That is way too much.

100g/25g is 500Cal, which is much more reasonable. I'm more in the boat of keeping it closer to 300Cal for workouts under 4hrs.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Somewhere there was a ratio of carbs/protein based on bodyweight, which I worked out to about 250 cals for me at 190 lbs. So something in that range.

Keep in mind, this is _part of_ your daily calorie total, not _addition_ to.

And lately the thought is that you only need to worry about glycogen window if you're doing back-to-back hard days / long days. If you're doing hard/easy then just eat a normal healthy diet.

· Registered
158 Posts
Even with the following scenario, do you think 200g of carbs and 50g of protein would still be unreasonable?

Assumptions:
you burn 600 calories per hour
you ingest around 200 calories per hour in the form of gels/sport drinks to keep from bonking.

Net calorie expenditure per hour is 400
Training ride duration = 3 hrs
Total calorie expenditure = 1200 calories

That would put you at the 200g carb with 4:1 carb protein ratio.
I'm not a trainer/coach or even a very experienced cyclist but the numbers seem to add up.

Now if what you're saying is that consuming 1000 calories in < 30 minutes after a ride + rehydrating would be a very difficult task..then I agree with you there.

Maybe a better way of doing this is to up your caloric intake during training so you only have to refuel with 300-400 calories after a ride.

The entire point of post-workout refuel is to reload the glycogen reserves in your muscles so that you can train again the next day (reduce down time).

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
gatorling said:
Even with the following scenario, do you think 200g of carbs and 50g of protein would still be unreasonable?

Assumptions:
you ingest around 200 calories per hour in the form of gels/sport drinks to keep from bonking.

I'm not a trainer/coach or even a very experienced cyclist but the numbers seem to add up.

Now if what you're saying is that consuming 1000 calories in < 30 minutes after a ride + rehydrating would be a very difficult task..then I agree with you there.

Maybe a better way of doing this is to up your caloric intake during training so you only have to refuel with 300-400 calories after a ride.

The entire point of post-workout refuel is to reload the glycogen reserves in your muscles so that you can train again the next day (reduce down time).
You forgot the ~200Cal/hr from fat. - TF

· Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gatorling said:
E

The numbers add up, but I don't see why you're trying to replace all your expended calories in a single shot. I don't think I've ever heard that recommended, and, as I've heard your body can only metabolize a certain amount of food at a time, it might even be counterproductive.

· Life Coach
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Creakyknees said:
Keep in mind, this is _part of_ your daily calorie total, not _addition_ to.
Of course. That's part of my reason for asking, I guess, to figure out how to schedule it into my day. I've been doing it as a meal with real food, but so many of the packaged recovery supplements seem to come in at 280 calories or so, I thought I'd check.

I know the body only digests, what, 200-300 calories an hour during exercise--does that extend through the recovery phase?

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Doing math correction

gatorling said:
Assumptions:

As TurboTurtle and Val_Garou pointed out, you need to consider that you're metabolizing 200 calories per hour from fat, and there is no reason to replace all that you burn during exercise in that immediate half hour after exercise. All that does is prepare you for another exercise session in the fairly near future. After 24 hours, your glycogen levels will mostly be dependent on your normal diet, not so much on what you took in right after exercise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.