Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think?

My options
1) I have a deposit on a Bianchi 928 Lugged frame. If I buy this frame I would take the Chorus Record mix from my old (80s) Merckx Grand Prix and Eddy would be semi retired.
Pros
I think that the price on the Bianchi is hard to pass up.
I have wanted a carbon frame for a long time.
Cons
Do I need another bike? I have Eddy, two alu bikes and a fixed gear. I have two kids so I will not be riding all the time, if you know what I mean.

2) I can have Eddy redone by Spectrum.
Pros
The re-paint/powder coat would be the cheaper option.
I love my Eddy.
Cons
Do I want to spend more money on my old bike frame?

Any comments are welcome. Lets not make this in to a carbon v. steel flame out.

Thanks,
Fredrik

·
Registered
704 Posts
Fredrik
You are a rider of unusual taste! One of my big regrets in life is that I can't ride an Eddy - my personal geometry is all too odd to fit on one. Is that Spectrum, as in Tom Kellog, frame builder? If so, you should be able to get a worthy paint job.

Do you need another bike? Now there's a thing. I just got one, love it dearly - a custom Bob Jackson - but in reality, I now have to spend months fettling her position and getting used to riding her. Even though I have five in total, I've often wondered about the old maxim "Beware the guy with just one - he'll know how to use it"

If you can ride with two kids, good on you! I'm sure if you save any money on not buying a Bianchi, the kids will absorb any extra. Hopefully, won't be long before you're having to buy bikes for them - that'll cure you of any extraneous bike buying urges ;)

Good luck whichever way you choose

D

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Me, I'd stay with the Merckx if your components are at all out-of-date (7 or 8 speed, or, gasp!, not ergopower). The flash new Bianchi will scream for the new hotness in components.

I'd stay with the Merckx anyway, but that's just me and my steel thing.

Also, around my house the magic lies in rehabbing the old one, then starting a "fund" to buy the new one later. I find that once I've saved about half of what's required, the remaining dollars seem to free themselves up very suddenly, and with no objections from the rest of the household.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
repaint the Merckx

and put the extra dough you saved into a college fund for your kids. later dump the 2 alu bikes (I'm assuming both road), use the money to buy your CF Dream bike with new parts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
atpjunkie said:
and put the extra dough you saved into a college fund for your kids. later dump the 2 alu bikes (I'm assuming both road), use the money to buy your CF Dream bike with new parts
I agree 100%. I have a Bianchi CF bike. Love it. I love my steel bike too. No need for 2 al bikes if you have a steel and Carbon Bianchi. Keep your fixie though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm a bit of a collector

Thanks all for the input.

Don't fear, I will not get rid of the Eddy. It does look like I will have to have the decals custom made for or by Spectrum Powderworks. This makes it a pricey re-do.

I guess what it comes down to is which I want first, carbon frame or re-do. Spend more money now or later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts