Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 30+ years in my hometown (Charlotte, NC) and 10 years with my current employer, I have a wild hare to move out west. Spent a week in Colorado (Denver) on business a year ago and really enjoyed it. From my perspective it looks like a real cycling city and I could see myself living there for a while.

My main concern is the Job market. More precisely since I am a Server/Network Engineer, the IT Job Market. Do any of my fellow RBRs have any insite on this?

The searches denver.computerjobs.com look promising. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Just looking for the "man on the street" opinion rather than "geting a line" from a recruiter.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
ServerMonkey said:
After 30+ years in my hometown (Charlotte, NC) and 10 years with my current employer, I have a wild hare to move out west. Spent a week in Colorado (Denver) on business a year ago and really enjoyed it. From my perspective it looks like a real cycling city and I could see myself living there for a while.

My main concern is the Job market. More precisely since I am a Server/Network Engineer, the IT Job Market. Do any of my fellow RBRs have any insite on this?

The searches denver.computerjobs.com look promising. Should I be looking somewhere else?

Just looking for the "man on the street" opinion rather than "geting a line" from a recruiter.
If you got the skillz you should do fine...plenty of IT work around here.

·
Rock the Mullet!
305 Posts
Leaving Charlotte?

Charlotte was just selected as the site of the NASCAR Hall of Fame! How can you contemplate leaving a city that is sure to become the cultural epicenter of the western world? JEEBUS think this through man.

Pb

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PbOkole said:
Charlotte was just selected as the site of the NASCAR Hall of Fame! How can you contemplate leaving a city that is sure to become the cultural epicenter of the western world? JEEBUS think this through man.

Pb
Yep, I work uptown and I was given 2 of the " Racing belongs here" T-Shirts. They worked great cleaning the road grime off my dura-ace chain :D

Living 4 miles from the Speedway I know all about the semi-annual ******* Rodeo. I make it a point to be in Asheville those weekends!

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Don't forget cost of living too...

ServerMonkey said:
Yep, I work uptown and I was given 2 of the " Racing belongs here" T-Shirts. They worked great cleaning the road grime off my dura-ace chain :D

Living 4 miles from the Speedway I know all about the semi-annual ******* Rodeo. I make it a point to be in Asheville those weekends!

my 3500 square foot house (in Winston Salem) would be a mansion in Boulder or Aurora Co.

Plus, where else you gonna find 80 degree weekends in March??

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm in a simular situation. I've been thinking about moving out of New England. I've been looking at Colorado because of the biking and the skiing. I've got friends and family in the area and it sounds like a great place to be.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I came here from St. Louis. I cant say much about the IT job market because I'm a design student but what I can say is finding a place to live is extremely expensive out here (uh because everyone else wants to live here too, yo) but the weather and the riding kicks ass.

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
ServerMonkey said:
Portland, OR? From a cycling standpoint, Portland is competing with European cities for cycling amenities -- it's that far ahead of anything in the US. We ride year round out here. The completely dry (and low humidity) five months of summer are a well kept secrete. If you race, the calendar is as full (or more so) than anywhere lese in the country. If you don't race, there are lots of great places to ride. Lots of people to ride with. 90 minutes from skiing and surfing. Got some of the best windsurfing/kite boarding in the world just up the road. Some of the best microbrews in the nation -- OR was a pioneer in the microbrew movement. Stellar mountain biking in the Corvalis/Bend/Hood River triangle. Basically, we kick Colorado's a$$.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
racerx said:
my 3500 square foot house (in Winston Salem) would be a mansion in Boulder or Aurora Co.

Plus, where else you gonna find 80 degree weekends in March??

TRUE DAT! The riding last weekend was spectacular. There are a lot of things to concider and cost of living is only one.

Maybe I am under the spell of " The Grass is always Greener" and just thinking about options. My lease is up in July, I am debt free and who knows I may get laid-off a 3rd time.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
Gripped said:
Basically, we kick Colorado's a$$.
more cowbell please.... ;)

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
more cowbell please.... ;)
Just thought I might talk a little smack before heading out there this fall to get my a$$ handed to me in the USGP ...

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Yup Oregon Rules

If I could get my wife to move back (she's from Portland) I'd consider it but she's had enough of the rain. Being a Fly Fisherman, Cyclist,Surfer,Snowboarder I can hardly think of a better area to do it all. I love the area though all those downtown brick buildings sitting on top of a major subduction zone make me a tad nervous. I'd lay a decent guess that I've fished more Oregonian Rivers than a good # of residents and have been fishing them longer.

Now you may have been a Pioneer in the Microbrew it was the Bay Area of CA that was first in the rebirth of Craft Beers. Weinhards was 1856 but Anchor Steam was 1896, though I wouldn't consider Henry's craft Beer.
Portland got its Craft Beer Kick with Cartwright in 1981and Bridgeport / Columbia River in 1984.
Anchor Steam in SF was 1979 and the New Albion Brewery in my hometown of Sonoma was 1976. Still the best Stout I ever drank.
http://celebrator.com/archives/0506/0506eastcoast-smithsonian.html

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Don't overlook those winters....

As a guy who moved from a Charlotte-like climate to a better-than-Boulder one (SF Bay Area to Reno), I'd caution you not to forget the Colorado winters. Those long periods of two-digit weather grind me down pretty fast. It's all fun and games until your ear falls off.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Cory said:
As a guy who moved from a Charlotte-like climate to a better-than-Boulder one (SF Bay Area to Reno), I'd caution you not to forget the Colorado winters. Those long periods of two-digit weather grind me down pretty fast. It's all fun and games until your ear falls off.
two digits aren't bad, it's the subzero sh*t I can't tolerate, My wife and I are actually talking to some practices in the Denver area right now, SO, hopefully, we might be moving there soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts