Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the little differences and styles of both Todd Gogulski and Paul Sherwin....but seems like Paul has been saddled with a little too much OLN/VS/RS/Lance O' Mania Cool Aid in the past few years. That makes sense cause that has literally funded the network but being a fan of cycling and not just American teams and riders I think the audience has evolved. I am starting to really appreciate GoGo and Schlager on Universal. Gogo was a low level domestic pro but his insight is timely and helpful to the viewer. Some of Univ's coverage is a little low budget but I really like it (hope you caught the 'Cross world cups with only crowd noise...AWESOME!!!) Would love to hear others opinion.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I like GoGo. He doesn't have to color of Phil or Paul but his knowledge seams straight on.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,792 Posts
"GoGo" is the kind of nickname you'd give to the gorilla at the zoo...

·
Registered
930 Posts
GoGo is great. Actually talks about what's HAPPENING in the race, while Paul is fixated about the scenery and what MIGHT happen in the race.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
When HTV crossed the line with 18 seconds in the bank, GoGo expressed all the excitement of watching someone cross the street 18 seconds ahead of the next guy. Sorry, not a big fan.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
are you people serious? "go-go" is pretty bad. i know he has racing history, and has announced races in the past, but he is pretty loose with his accuracy. schlanger is better with the call, and gets some things more accurate than "go-go." he also feed "go-go" pretty well, giving him things to talk about. but i find gogulski has a bad habit of repeating exactly what schlanger has already said without adding anything.
"look at the way he descends. attacking each corner, finding the apex, the accelerating through."
"exactly, steve. he hits each corner at the apex and acelerates through."

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Heh. I agree w/ both the criticisms and praise here.
Yes, Paul has had a bit too much OLN/VS/RS Kool-Aid, but I do appreciate his commentary and his knowledge seems much more in-depth than Gogulski's.
Go-Go can have good insight, but usually delivers everything very mundanely.
I'm just glad I finally have Universal, so I can watch the coverage. (Blurry though it may be...)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Today's coverage of stage 3, the camera drops back to an obviously dropping off the back AS. GoGo sees that it is AS but rather than commenting on the fact that he is dropped, he obliviously talks about how many including himself are questioning whether AS is working for Frank or if he is actually going for a win himself! I personally found it frustrating and P&P would have caught it right away.

·
Registered
13 Posts
for me, too, listening to GoGo completely murder people's names gets difficult after a bit.
freire is most certainly not pronounced "fray-ray" :D

while i agree with the OP that the break from the lance-obsessed phil/paul duo is appreciated, i don't find him better than paul.....i'd call them equal with their own faults :)

@Kvonnah - boy i dunno. did you hear all that junk Paul spewed about how AC couldn't trust Vino and how Vino couldn't be relied on as a teammate? all while Vino was riding like the perfect teammate? i found that to be pretty annoying and certainly on the same scale as the AS talk during the Vuelta.

·
Registered
755 Posts
hookypro said:
I like the little differences and styles of both Todd Gogulski and Paul Sherwin....but seems like Paul has been saddled with a little too much OLN/VS/RS/Lance O' Mania Cool Aid in the past few years. That makes sense cause that has literally funded the network but being a fan of cycling and not just American teams and riders I think the audience has evolved. I am starting to really appreciate GoGo and Schlager on Universal. Gogo was a low level domestic pro but his insight is timely and helpful to the viewer. Some of Univ's coverage is a little low budget but I really like it (hope you caught the 'Cross world cups with only crowd noise...AWESOME!!!) Would love to hear others opinion.
I think that's a really good summary and I agree. I would be happy if the TDF coverage team could actually cover the race instead of trying to spoon feed cycling to Americans who are coming up to speed.
I bought the universal coverage in part due to their commentary and enjoy their perspective..

·
Registered
482 Posts
I like how many times gogo mentions little things that I can relate to. Makes me feel like a "real" cyclist even though I don't race. Like the part about the eyes watering on the descent after a hard climb. Happened to me yesterday and immediately thought about his commentary.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I like both their styles... And I'm very glad Universal is covering the Vuelta, as I get to watch it free, since I don't have cable! (It is one of my regular digital extra's on NBC)

·
Registered
173 Posts
It's Steve that is the real bore. He adds almost nothing to what is happening on the screen. I have to say he couldn't be any less insightful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If Schlanger and GoGo were bit more animated (like Phil and Paul) their commentary wouldn't be so dry. Schlanger gets animated at the end of the race but the rest can be a bit flat. GoGo needs sunlight, he kind of looks like they snuck him out of the hospital.

What is it about American cycling commentators with overdosing on the letter "R"? Craig Hummer, Frankie Andreau, Steve Schlanger, Adrian Karsten, etc all have a nasal delivery which really kills the pronunciation of european names.

·
prosciutto corsa
364 Posts
hookypro said:
(hope you caught the 'Cross world cups with only crowd noise...AWESOME!!!)
I saw that.

At first it was WTF. But I admit, I watched the whole thing. And it was way awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts