Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What bike style would you recommend? The local LBS recommended a hybrid, the lower end of which is within our price range, but is that the best for long distance riding several times a week?

My husband would like to ride to work - 18 miles one way - and is in good enough physical condition to do so, but I would like to get him something that will feel more-or-less comfortable for such a long ride. An online fit calculator gave us good measurements and I think that using the "French fit" for such a distance might be best. The bike shop we went to sells primarily Trek bikes. I know it's a very low number, but we really need to try to keep the price to around or below $600 - either way, anything we get is likely to be better than my old Huffy!

Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
36 miles round trip is certainly doable on a hybrid but a road bike will be more comfortable...most hybrids have a very upright riding position...That puts a lot of weight on the butt.....Road bikes give the appearance of being uncomfortable since the rider is "bent" over. In reality, the road bike position allows you to distribute body weight over the butt and hands......This allows much longer time in the saddle......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dajianshan, I'll look at the bike you recommended; thank you.

Dave - he will be on light (but paved) trails for a good part of the ride, will a road bike still take to those without difficulty (given the tires)? I had a road bike in high school (again, not a great one - a hand-me-down) and it worked well for my needs at the time, but it's been a long time back!

Thanks

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
tillie2 said:
Dajianshan, I'll look at the bike you recommended; thank you.

Dave - he will be on light (but paved) trails for a good part of the ride, will a road bike still take to those without difficulty (given the tires)? I had a road bike in high school (again, not a great one - a hand-me-down) and it worked well for my needs at the time, but it's been a long time back!

Thanks
Road bikes are fine on pavement or well graded dirt roads.

If you're looking at a new Trek under 600, I think the 7.2 FX would probably be the best bet, the 7.3 is a nice option if you're looking to spend a bit more.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,955 Posts
Don't buy the hybrid.

Bike shops always love to recommend "hybrids" to anyone that's getting into biking... when these bikes are the least sought after by everyone.

Get a Road bike, a plush one if you really want more comfort (though I still race on my plush roadie with my lowered stem), and be happy with it. You'll go faster, and love it much more on your weekend exercise rides.

My best friend regrets buying his hybrid after riding my road bike. Fun is a huge factor, and hybrids, IMHO kills it for a lot of people.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
My commute is exactly 18 miles one way. There are no trails avaliable to me, so it's 100% road. I use a road bike. I really wouldn't consider a hybrid, especially for that distance. IMO, 10 miles one way would be stretching it with a hybrid. I think they're fine for short trips of a few miles, but riding 18 mi/day, day after day...nope.

I shopped & found a used bike at my LBS that fit me pretty well. Someone had brought it in for new tires, left it 18 months, and never came back. I bought it for $40.00. Since then, I've spent more to upgrade and improve it. I've been riding it for 4 years now, and have put close to 20,000 miles on it.

Get a road bike. If you're shopping for a used one, try to find somebody bike knowledgeable to take with you. If buying new, make sure you don't buy a race bike. The bike you buy should have eyelets to enable you to mount racks, bags, fenders, etc.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.