Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting burned out on the California IPA/Pale Ale thing. i'm shifting back to ESB's but i'm having a hard time finding craftbrews at the local outlets - the shelves are full of Double IPA's, Hop Monsters, and hopped up "pale ales" - it's getting out of hand.

·
Seat's not level
19,371 Posts
Never trust a beer you can see through.

All beers taste better in Lounge pints.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Belgium FTW.

America has no sense of subtlety, nuance or balance when it comes to tastes / flavors / portions / politics / entertainment. Or much of anything else.

Of course that's not true. It's just that refinement is inherently rare, and must be sought out by those with discriminating tastes and enough nerve to stand in the middle of every 'argument' the talking heads and marketers can pitch at us.

·
Spicy Dumpling
9,721 Posts
I think I've had enough of the super hoppy IPA stuff myself. They are definitely getting to the point of just hopping to say they are hoppier without any redeeming value.

Still a stout man... Code and Non-Code..

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
danl1 said:
Belgium FTW.

America has no sense of subtlety, nuance or balance when it comes to tastes / flavors / portions / politics / entertainment. Or much of anything else.

Of course that's not true. It's just that refinement is inherently rare, and must be sought out by those with discriminating tastes and enough nerve to stand in the middle of every 'argument' the talking heads and marketers can pitch at us.
Why do you hate America?

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cracked said:
. . . completely out of control

I've toned it back to Bell's Two Hearted.
i have been drinking the crap out of the Two Hearted - we get a keg of that for DC United tailgates.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sledgehammer03 said:
It come in the can so you can drink alone on htose backpacking adventures.
it better be better than Dale's in can. ugh.

i have picked up a flask for my backpacking libations as well.

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
Many of the super hopped IPA's have lost their balance with the malt. I'll take a highly refined brew (of any style) over an 'extreme' beer any day.

Duvel FTW!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
While I'm not giving up on the double IPAs yet, there are a bunch Belgians I keep in the mix to provide the much needed variations. (also a lot of belgians I don't like)

I agree with danl1 for the most part, but occaisionally, I don't need subtlety, and just wanted my palette hopped to death! :D

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
I like an extreme hop beer once in a while but I agree with the sentiment that brewers are overhopping just to ride the wave (take Boulder Brewing Company's Mojo Risin' as an example of that). I think it's a fad that will soon fade. However there are a few less hoppy IPAs out there that I think are good beers that I hope will stick around. Sierra Nevada Torpedo being one of them.

·
donuts?
8,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Andy69 said:
Sierra Nevada Torpedo being one of them.
that is always in my fridge. i typically by a case of that and a 6'er of something i'd liek to sample.

·
Eddy 53:11
3,158 Posts
Get some Dogfish Head or Victory and start over.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
asciibaron said:
that is always in my fridge. i typically by a case of that and a 6'er of something i'd liek to sample.
yeah but unfortunately until we are back down to one mortgage payment, I'm limited to Yuengling Black and Tan with the occasional 12 pack of Boston Lager :(

·
Zaphod Beeblebrox
2,799 Posts
VaughnA said:
Not a big fan of torpedo.

Delirium Tremens is my current favorite. Expensive but gooooood.

Delirium Noel > Delirium Tremens, unfortunately it's seasonal.

Edit: But you HAVE to use a NOEL glass. It has Santa being pulled by pink elephants.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts