Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of satisfying my curiosity on carbon bars. Never ridden them but they would be right at home on my fun bike. Currently I run Ritchey WCS EvoCurves and like them alot. I have no issues with using Ritchey again.

Any other sugestions?

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Been there, done that, save your money.

Nothing of a measure to be gained except worries about replacing it after the first crash.

Unless you are counting grams and believe in this sort of thing.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Why?

Len

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
I use the carbon 3T Ergonova Team and the aluminum version which is the Pro. I like the feel of the carbon as I think they dampen vibrations a touch more. Some say they can't tell a difference yet I don't think it's hard to tell. It's not a huge difference mind you, just different. They weigh the same IIRC so buying carbon for weight reasons is some what foolish. As far as durability, I hate to admit it but the bars I'm riding have been through two crashes 1000's of miles ago and not a scratch. If you're penny pinching they are not worth it. JMO

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Remember that aluminum fatigues so will need to be eventually replaced even if never crashed. I have a few pair of carbon wrapped bars but my full carbon bars are cooler. I really cannot tell the difference between all those and my aluminum bars, except the carbon are cooler when I look down.

Lots of choices out there. Name brands seem to be all reliable. Many shapes to choose from as well. I like Ritchey stuff too.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
To the OP,
I like my carbon bars, but crashing is an issue for replacement.

They do ride smoother IMHO, but the cost is hard to swallow. The Eastons I have been on do well at removing road buzz.

Don't do it for weight, you are wasting your money.

One thing I like about carbon (well most) is that you can hide the cables. This is nice climbing when you put your hands on the tops of the bars.

My top picks would be (I like compact bends)
FSA K-wing.
I love the feel of the tops climbing. They have a great "feel" for me while descending. That's all subjective for sure, but aren't most bike parts?

Easton EC90 Aero
These ride "smoother" than the K-wing, but the flat spot in the drops limits hand position sometimes.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree.

Try getting an Al bar in the shape of a FSA K-wing compact.
So there is one carbon bar shape not available in aluminum......how many aluminum shapes and sizes are not currently available in carbon? I think the. Original statement is correct.

Len

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
So there is one carbon bar shape not available in aluminum......how many aluminum shapes and sizes are not currently available in carbon? I think the. Original statement is correct.

Len
I have K-wings that I bought in 2006. I used them for about a year in Hawaii and then put them away for some alloy deda bars that I could clamp aero bars to for the occassional TT. I really liked the shape of the K-wings, especially with campy levers. Fast forward seven years to last month. My Argonaut had 3T 44cm ergosum bars but it never felt right, my shoulders felt hunched up. They were 44 C-C at the drops, but around 41 cm at the hoods. The only spare set of oversized bars in 44cm I had were the K-wings so they're on the Argonaut. I didn't route the cables through the bars, they run underneath the flat section. I also taped them all the way up instead of stopping at the bends. They feel nice with the 11 speed levers. If they made an alloy version, I'd get it.

If you're keeping score, the Argonaut has a steel frame, steel fork, carbon bars, Thomson seatpost, and titanium rear dropouts.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
I have K-wings that I bought in 2006. I used them for about a year in Hawaii and then put them away for some alloy deda bars that I could clamp aero bars to for the occassional TT. I really liked the shape of the K-wings, especially with campy levers. Fast forward seven years to last month. My Argonaut had 3T 44cm ergosum bars but it never felt right, my shoulders felt hunched up. They were 44 C-C at the drops, but around 41 cm at the hoods. The only spare set of oversized bars in 44cm I had were the K-wings so they're on the Argonaut. I didn't route the cables through the bars, they run underneath the flat section. I also taped them all the way up instead of stopping at the bends. They feel nice with the 11 speed levers. If they made an alloy version, I'd get it.

If you're keeping score, the Argonaut has a steel frame, steel fork, carbon bars, Thomson seatpost, and titanium rear dropouts.
I have heard nothing bad about k-wings. I was just responding to that being the example that proved there weren't more shapes and sizes available in alloy.

Len

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have FSA Omega alloy compact bars on one bike and FSA K-Force carbon compact bars on the other. Basic shape of both is about the same, but the carbon ones have the nicest flatish top running between the hoods and the stem. You know that spot where most of use spend most of our time while riding? Give me a choice, I'd put the carbon ones on all my bikes. Carbon set is on my Roubaix so it just adds to overall weightweenie of that bike.

FSA K-Force Compact Handlebar - Competitive Cyclist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EWM0KTdCOY

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.