Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am changing from an 11-28 to an 11-26 cassette on my bike. I'm keeping the same wheel. I was wondering if I would need to shorten my chain or if my current one should work?

I would think there shouldn't be any issues since I'm going a little smaller but just figured I'd ask folks who may have done this already. I don't think it matters but the old and new cassette's are both SRAM.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,659 Posts
Hi All,

I am changing from an 11-28 to an 11-26 cassette on my bike. I'm keeping the same wheel. I was wondering if I would need to shorten my chain or if my current one should work?

I would think there shouldn't be any issues since I'm going a little smaller but just figured I'd ask folks who may have done this already. I don't think it matters but the old and new cassette's are both SRAM.

Thanks in advance for any input.
doesn't matter who makes the drivetrain. if your chain was sized by the one universally correct method (small/small) it won't make a bit of difference. you should be fine.

·
Registered
879 Posts
doesn't matter who makes the drivetrain. if your chain was sized by the one universally correct method (small/small) it won't make a bit of difference. you should be fine.
Are you sure it is small-small? I thought it was large-large (without going through rear DR). I thought you needed to size it in large-large so that the derailleur would take up the slack. If you use small-small, won't the chain be too short for larger chain rings and cogs?

-------------------

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
It's OK to ask of course, but no matter what answers you get, you should just check the length on the bike. Pedal the bike and shift to the small ring and the smallest cog. If the chain doesn't double back on itself and interfere with itself, the chain is short enough. I always go ahead and check the big/big combination while I'm at it and make sure the chain isn't too short. Just check it out for yourself, which you'd need to do anyway.

·
Registered
21,725 Posts
Are you sure it is small-small? I thought it was large-large (without going through rear DR). I thought you needed to size it in large-large so that the derailleur would take up the slack. If you use small-small, won't the chain be too short for larger chain rings and cogs?
It would be a rare situation where "big-big" sized the chain longer than "small-small" and if that is the case then you need a long-cage rear derailleur. Think about it: if big-big did give a longer chain, then the chain would be hanging loose in the small-small combination. Not that anyone should be riding in either gear but your if your chain drooped in small-small it would probably droop in a couple more small cogs as well.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
If you needed to shorten the chain for this, you couldn't ever shift out of the 34/28 (or 39/28, whatever.) There's simply no way this matters.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.