Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read lots on how to size a 'cross bike based on what your road bike is like...but I don't own a road bike! Any tips on going from a mountain bike to a cross bike? I ride a 15.5" mtb frame (I'm about 5'6"), with a pretty long top tube...not really sure what that translates into in terms of a cross bike. I looked at a 52cm frame recently, which seemed to fit ok in terms of length, etc... but I had zero standover. Should I error on the small end...especially if I intend to race?

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I am 5'7 and ride 52-54 center to top of seat tube, with a 53-54cm top tube.
I know everyones different but if you have 'run of the mill human proportions' 52STx53TT may work. Compare with the wrench science bike fit calculator.
Also if you are used to compact geo try the Giant frame.
regarding 'erring on the small side, how much seat post extension would you have? I have roughly 14-16cm from collar top to rails. For most more than a 10cm saddle to bar drop is too much.

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks kannas...my mountain bikes are all set up with a more relaxed fit since most of the racing and riding I do is of the endurance variety...no real need to go fast, just go long! I know cross racing is a whole different thing...but I just intend to do the races for fun and would like the bike to double as a commuter / trainer. The wrench Science site wanted to put me on a 50cm road bike...I suppose a 49cm cross bike with a long stem would work?

I'm lucky in that I can literally walk out my front door and hit a 2 mile greenway, which leads to a state park with about 20 miles of nice fire road and a countly park with 9 miles of singletrack. My commute would combine a lot of those trails along with some road...a commute that just screams for a cross bike. Now I just got to decide whether to go singlespeed or not! :D

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
I have a SS cross and am having a new rear wheel built (previous one stolen).
SS are way fun for 'cross!
You can always build up SS MTB or 29'r for cross, add a rigid fork, loose the bar ends (if any) and find some narrower tire that work well with lower psi.
Also with the White Ind Eno hub, vert dropouts are not a problems!

What are you thinking regarding a frame? Steel? tons of 'fun' choices...

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I'm all over the place in regards to the actual bike...not sure if I want something geared more to the race end of things or more on the comfort end. Steel would be nice...the Surly Crosscheck looked interesting as it would be pretty easy to run SS or geared.

· tdiclub Member
417 Posts
You cant go wrong with a seasoned redline, kona, empella, surly or other..w/ a double ring, 39 inner and an interchangeable outer 46-52 to run on the road. 105 or campy centaur is more than acceptable.
If SS catches you, look over the White Ind Eno hub, im getting and eno rear wheel built even though I have horizontal drops, just looking towards the future.

sorry to offer so many options...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.