Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a problem I haven't seen anyone adress- peeing on road rides. I go into the woods alongside the road, but sometimes my cleats get packed with dirt or mud and won't click in properly. It's a real pain to have to deal with that. I know it's possible to pee while riding, I see pros do it in videos, but I've never had any success with it myself. What's the proper technique?

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
This has been covered...

Blue Sugar said:
Here's a problem I haven't seen anyone adress- peeing on road rides. I go into the woods alongside the road, but sometimes my cleats get packed with dirt or mud and won't click in properly. It's a real pain to have to deal with that. I know it's possible to pee while riding, I see pros do it in videos, but I've never had any success with it myself. What's the proper technique?
This has been covered time and time again. Do a quick little search and I think you'd find about 100 threads where this has been talked about, at length, many times over.

Umm, if your shoes get packed with dirt and or mud, there is this thing that you ride on called a road. Normally roads are paved which makes it a hard surface. When you come out from the woods after your "sabbatical" a couple quick stamps of the foot on the pavement will dislodge any dirt/mud/sticks that are in your cleat, therefore making it possible once again to click into your pedals without any trouble. And no, this isn't going to hurt your cleats.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I wear bibs

I pee exclusively on the bike (when I'm on the bike!). I find a quiet road unless I'm allready on a quiet road. I pick up some speed so I can coast for a while. Then, I look back and ahead to make sure there's no cars. I then put one hand on the middle of the bars and pull it out with the other. I aim carefully between my leg and the handlebars and let it fly. After a shake or two it goes back in and I'm on my way.

**One important note: Out of respect for other riders or joggers I always pee in the middle of the road so it won't get on the tires or shoes of other users!!!

·
naranjito
785 Posts
"I've never had any success with it myself" that made me laugh!!!!

So you´ve soaked yourself a few times trying then???

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
Stop at coffee place, order cappuccino, use the restroom.

Jeez, what's hard about that? I do it all the time.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Be careful if you're ever in Yellowstone Park. I have friends who were with a guy that got a ticket for peeing in the woods. Apparently he wasn't the requisite 60 feet from the road :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
welp

i can easily go out in the boonies for 50miles with no public restrooms. Going in the woods is hard to because there are lots of residences and private land =\ Whats worse is when you have to do the other thing....you know.... that 'other' thing ;)

·
Registered
21,616 Posts
Here's how

The technique is as follows: First find the proper conditions - gradual downhill or quartering tail wind is best. Move to the back of the group. Grab the handlebar tops with your "up wind" hand. Stand on your downwind leg and lean the bike into the wind, while keeping in a straight line. With our free hand, simultaneously pull down your shorts and hold the "equipment." Aim about 45 degrees ahead of "straight off to the side" and apply some extra pressure to the bladder. Watch where you are going and concentrate on steering - do not watch where the pee stream is going. Some claim to pull up the leg of the shorts, but I guess my shorts are too tight on the thighs to make this possible. Bib shorts add to the challenge. Practice this several times and well before a race situation. It may seem impossible, but it is and you have to believe! Speed is of the essence and you will still have to chase to get back to the group, but it beats the heck out of stopping.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bib shorts won't be an issue if you have a (quality) 5"-6" zipper inserted by an Alteration Shop for about $10 (i.e., ASSOS)..... It's better than stretching the bib down to allow 'relief'.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
magnolialover said:
This has been covered time and time again. Do a quick little search and I think you'd find about 100 threads where this has been talked about, at length, many times over.

Umm, if your shoes get packed with dirt and or mud, there is this thing that you ride on called a road. Normally roads are paved which makes it a hard surface. When you come out from the woods after your "sabbatical" a couple quick stamps of the foot on the pavement will dislodge any dirt/mud/sticks that are in your cleat, therefore making it possible once again to click into your pedals without any trouble. And no, this isn't going to hurt your cleats.
Oh, really, dirt wont hurt my cleats? Gee, thanks for informing me. By the way, "a couple of quick stamps of the foot" (you must look really cool when you do that) won't get thick mud out of Speedplay cleats. Even wet dirt stays in, and interferes with the "float" of the pedals. I piss on you, magnolialover.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Blue #1 - learn how to piss off of the bike while riding. It's quite simple. This subject has only been covered in every cycling forum in the Internet about a jillion times.

#2 - when you do stop to pee, if you can't figure out how not to just stand at the edge of the road w/o walking into the woods/ditch/mud and jacking up your cleats w/ mud/dirt - then you likely have some serious issues in your life going on and should probably drop cycling and pick up bowling as a hobby.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Blue Sugar said:
I can give no advice for how to pee while riding, I stop and move to a place of privacy for such matters. However I can tell you how to keep you Speedplays from wear and filling with grit while off the bike.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.merchandise&promoid=Coffee Shop Caps

$10.00 solution.

Scot

1 - 14 of 14 Posts