Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was offered the opportunity to work as an "independent contractor" for a personal training group, leading private and semi-private (small group) rides. I'd be doing some coaching, but it would be minimal...more like taking some noobies out for a positive experience, pushing (gently) to improve/challenge themselves.
Since I don't want to enter the boardroom totally ignorant (and don't want to be, metaphorically, taken for a ride) I need to know what to suggest as an acceptable pay range.
Thoughts?
 

· Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
MayGirl said:
I was offered the opportunity to work as an "independent contractor" for a personal training group, leading private and semi-private (small group) rides. I'd be doing some coaching, but it would be minimal...more like taking some noobies out for a positive experience, pushing (gently) to improve/challenge themselves.
Since I don't want to enter the boardroom totally ignorant (and don't want to be, metaphorically, taken for a ride) I need to know what to suggest as an acceptable pay range.
Thoughts?
$4.00/Mile 20 Mile minimum!
 

· RoadBikeReview's Member
Joined
·
5,513 Posts
MayGirl said:
Only thing is some of the clients (from what I gather) are s l o w. I can't have half of my day trashed for $100. So perhaps a time-based rate?
15 bucks an hour?
That sounds pretty reasonable to me, if this is an on the side job. If it's a full time job, probably more...
-estone2
 

· Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lifelover said:
People who ride < 10 MPH are going to pay you to take them on a ride?

GMAFB
You never know...this group runs the gamut regarding clients: some are pretty good athletes wanting to improve, some are newbies who are looking for a few rides to learn the ropes responsibly, others are rich couch potatoes/diamond-wearing housewives with nannies and butlers who need to look good for cocktail parties but, being used to others doing everything for them, don't want to do it on their own...
You'd be amazed at what lazy people pay for.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
johnny99 said:
You can actually get paid for that? Who is the employer? Do you have to be a trained in bike repair and first aid? Do you get tips? I think the salary depends a lot on who is paying and how steady the gig is.
Yeh, it's NUTS, no?!
Can't say.
Yes and yes.
Not sure.
Very very wealthy people are paying (the company mainly does one-on-one training and is based in an incredibly affluent area) and they want me to do about two to four rides a week (I'm hesitant to do more as I don't want to ruin my own training...it's a side job but I'm a poor grad student).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
960 Posts
Just a thought

If you are uncertain about the time involved and it looks like you are going to be spending at least 4 hrs... and you can't figure what hourly rate works best... Charge them a "day rate" like we do in the video and film industries..... I've heard of as much as $500 for a pair (2) of guides for a full day... Plus a per diem... (spending cash) of an additional $25 per guide. TOTAL $550.

Of course, TIPS are also HIGHLY suggested... make sure your clients are aware of that too. Maybe you'll get one of those Diamonds that those housewives will be wearing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
491 Posts
Sounds like it could be pretty annoying. I wouldn't do it for less than $200/hr.

MayGirl said:
Yeh, it's NUTS, no?!
Can't say.
Yes and yes.
Not sure.
Very very wealthy people are paying (the company mainly does one-on-one training and is based in an incredibly affluent area) and they want me to do about two to four rides a week (I'm hesitant to do more as I don't want to ruin my own training...it's a side job but I'm a poor grad student).
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,248 Posts
MayGirl said:
Yeh, it's NUTS, no?!
Can't say.
Yes and yes.
Not sure.
Very very wealthy people are paying (the company mainly does one-on-one training and is based in an incredibly affluent area) and they want me to do about two to four rides a week (I'm hesitant to do more as I don't want to ruin my own training...it's a side job but I'm a poor grad student).
Who is paying you? The YMCA? A school sports department? An upscale health club? Some corporation? A private bike touring company? The salary for these kinds of jobs will depend a lot on who is paying your salary and how the product is marketed and how many people are participating. You'll be lucky to get minimum wage from the YMCA or a public school, but some of those private outfits charge much higher prices and can pay you much more.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
MayGirl said:
I was offered the opportunity to work as an "independent contractor" for a personal training group, leading private and semi-private (small group) rides. I'd be doing some coaching, but it would be minimal...more like taking some noobies out for a positive experience, pushing (gently) to improve/challenge themselves.
Since I don't want to enter the boardroom totally ignorant (and don't want to be, metaphorically, taken for a ride) I need to know what to suggest as an acceptable pay range.
Thoughts?
I would try to find out what trainers get at local high-end health clubs, golf pros get at local country clubs, etc. Basically you are doing an equivalent thing.

Remember, if you are an independent contractor, you will have to pay the employer's part of FICA and may have other expenses that employers typically pay for employees.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,240 Posts
MarkS said:
I would try to find out what trainers get at local high-end health clubs, golf pros get at local country clubs, etc. Basically you are doing an equivalent thing.

Remember, if you are an independent contractor, you will have to pay the employer's part of FICA and may have other expenses that employers typically pay for employees.
Thanks to Mark S for that advice as well. This will yield a 1099 that likely will not have withholdings on it, so keep that in mind. Also, they won't be paying any insurance for you, and bear that in mind for your wages. In other words, charge more. Finally, be sure to make the contracting outfit release you of liability in the event of accident, injury, or death to any of the clients. The contracting business should cover some minimal insurance in the event of accident.
 

· Home Brew User!
Joined
·
2,812 Posts
MayGirl said:
I was offered the opportunity to work as an "independent contractor" for a personal training group, leading private and semi-private (small group) rides. I'd be doing some coaching, but it would be minimal...more like taking some noobies out for a positive experience, pushing (gently) to improve/challenge themselves.
Since I don't want to enter the boardroom totally ignorant (and don't want to be, metaphorically, taken for a ride) I need to know what to suggest as an acceptable pay range.
Thoughts?
To help with the tips you may want to offer rides with "Happy Endings".:thumbsup:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top