Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going out looking at bikes this coming weekend. I had been borrowing my dad’s Cannondale R2000 si, but there became and issue with the shifter and he presently didn’t want to shell out the $300-400 to replace them. And personally I didn’t either, because its not my bike and doesn’t fit me right. The bike is a 63, and ideally I need something around 58-60, the bike was very uncomfortable.
So I have been looking around online at options, I’d like to keep the price at around $1200 and ideally equipped with primarily 105/Rival components.
The bikes I have the most interest in, without riding them are; Felt Z85, Scott S30, Specialized Allez Elite, and Trek 2.1.
I’ve looked at other brands (Cannondale, Fuji, Giant, GT, etc) but they don’t really offer what I’m looking for at the price mark I am looking for, but then again I haven’t been into any shops because I might find some deals on 2010’s.
Does anyone have any input on the four I’m considering?

Cheers,
Chris
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
MrTopher said:
I’m going out looking at bikes this coming weekend. I had been borrowing my dad’s Cannondale R2000 si, but there became and issue with the shifter and he presently didn’t want to shell out the $300-400 to replace them. And personally I didn’t either, because its not my bike and doesn’t fit me right. The bike is a 63, and ideally I need something around 58-60, the bike was very uncomfortable.
So I have been looking around online at options, I’d like to keep the price at around $1200 and ideally equipped with primarily 105/Rival components.
The bikes I have the most interest in, without riding them are; Felt Z85, Scott S30, Specialized Allez Elite, and Trek 2.1.
I’ve looked at other brands (Cannondale, Fuji, Giant, GT, etc) but they don’t really offer what I’m looking for at the price mark I am looking for, but then again I haven’t been into any shops because I might find some deals on 2010’s.
Does anyone have any input on the four I’m considering?

Cheers,
Chris
Of the four bikes you've listed, three have race geometry (like your dad's C'dale) and the other (Felt Z85) has relaxed geo, allowing for slightly slower (more predictable) handling and a slightly less aggressive (more upright) rider position.

I'd suggest visiting the shops that carry these brands, chat with them about your cycling experiences, intended use(s)/ goals, get sized/ fitted and test ride the bikes. All of the bikes you've listed are fine choices, but the one that's best for me or another cyclist may not be the best choice for you, so use the test rides to focus on the fit/ feel, ride and handling of the bikes, and whittle the field from there.

I'm not thoroughly familiar with all of the offerings from the other brands you mentioned (Fuji, Giant, GT, C'dale) but the C'dale CAAD9 (if it's still available) is in your price range as is the Fuji Roubaix 2.0 and GT GTR Series 3, so you may want to check those out as well. No harm in test rides, and sometimes it can be somewhat enlightening... and fun!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went out this past weekend and road a few different bikes. And loved them all, but it came down to price. My budget got shrank a little but I still was able to get a good bike.
Picked up a Specialized Allez Elite ’10 with 105 components (except for the brakes), bought it on Sunday and have ridden every single day I’ve had it. I’m really happy with the purchase, I just need to keep riding and continue building my stamina.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Hey, congrats on the pick. Mapmyride.com is a great place to keep a training log, which for me at least helps keep me on the straight and narrow and not slacking off too much.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike... nice choice!! :thumbsup:

Ride often, ride safe, and pics, please....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PJ352 said:
Congrats on the new bike... nice choice!! :thumbsup:

Ride often, ride safe, and pics, please....
Thanks!
I did ride a Caad9 5 (with Sram) and really enjoyed it, but didn't like the prices I was quoted on it and the 105 setup.

I'll attempt getting some decent photos up, its the white with black and the subtle Saxo Bank stickers, looks like it might have been a lower level team themed bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,644 Posts
All four are great bikes, but be sure to test ride them. I would be partial to the Felt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
i like felt too but the elite is a nice bike i have one of those too, an older model with an s works frame. and it is fast, man

good choice, sounds like you got a deal, the elite is usually a tad more. investing in the derailleur was the right move, with a 105 you did good. did you get the a-1 or the e-5 frame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
easyridernyc said:
i like felt too but the elite is a nice bike i have one of those too, an older model with an s works frame. and it is fast, man

good choice, sounds like you got a deal, the elite is usually a tad more. investing in the derailleur was the right move, with a 105 you did good. did you get the a-1 or the e-5 frame?
Its the A1 frame, the E5 I believe only comes on the Comp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,541 Posts
for the '010

the 09's had e-5, that is one sweet f*ckkin bike. still a few around. but i think the a-1 with 105 for 1200 is a solid deal.

congratulations now get out and ride dood


have a good weekend
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
easyridernyc said:
for the '010

the 09's had e-5, that is one sweet f*ckkin bike. still a few around. but i think the a-1 with 105 for 1200 is a solid deal.

congratulations now get out and ride dood


have a good weekend
$1100, hence why I jumped on it as quick as I did. It was the last 58 in the store and it wasn't even in the computer when I first asked the guy, but after looking though the floor models there it was.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top