Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading home last night, following traffic. I was trying to be mindful of the speed limit, but also going slightly slower than other cars. The speed limit slows down from 60 to 45, and I get pulled over. The people in front of me, who were going faster, didn't. :mad2:
This happened to me about 6 months ago too. In that case, there was more traffic, ALL going faster. That's just messed up.
On the bright side, I got my lazy ass out of bed early this morning and got in a quick 18 miles of NNC before going to work. Had a great average speed, and I'm feeling fantastic physically too.
Oh, I hate Bank of America.

·
What the what???
12,712 Posts
This random collection of thoughts and anecdotes, brought to you by: Peanya... :)

Sorry to hear about the ticket
Glad to hear about the NNC
Ambivalent to hear about BOA...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
if you're speeding you're speeding, the officer isn't obligated to find the fastest speeder... anyone who's breaking the rules is fair game

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
How slow were you going?

Len

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Random answers to randomness.
Is your car red?
My brother used to drive a VW bug (a real one) and he never got pulled over even though he sped all the time, I think they just couldn't believe a bug was going that fast.
I don't like M&T bank and I'm sad they bought out my bank.
I'm going on some major NNC on Tuesday.

·
Boobies!
8,163 Posts
:thumbsup:

On my list of institutions to never do business with after an amazingly stupid incident as we were leaving Seattle.

·
Banned
19,737 Posts
it's set up intentionally so that they can get anyone at anytime.

Speed limit = 55, which is deliberately low so that traffic is going 15-20 over.

That way, if you try to go the speed limit, they get you for obstructing traffic, and if you go the same speed as everyone else, they get you for speeding.

It;s all about the $$$$$

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Andy69 said:
it's set up intentionally so that they can get anyone at anytime.

Speed limit = 55, which is deliberately low so that traffic is going 15-20 over.

That way, if you try to go the speed limit, they get you for obstructing traffic, and if you go the same speed as everyone else, they get you for speeding.

It;s all about the $$$$$
Andy, Andy, Andy, they can't get you for obstructing traffic if you're going the speed limit. Even if the ossifer busts you it would be easy to beat in court. In fact, the attorney for the local jurisdiction wouldn't even prosecute.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
Are you Asian?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
firstrax said:
Bank of Amarica = Church of Satan.
Definitely. Been working on a refinance, and keep getting letters saying they need me to send in something in I already did. So, I sent it in an additional FOUR TIMES. Just got a letter saying that they couldn't approve it, because I never sent it in. When I sent it in, I went to their bank, had the associate fill in a fax form, send it and give me the verification copy. However, they don't have a number you can call to verify that it's been sent in! I got ahold of someone, who stated they did receive it...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, my car is burgundy, so close to red. The thing is, she said she clocked me at 61, yet I know I was slowing down. I was going about 60 when the speed limit said 60. I think she clocked the truck in front of me. I was really surprised when the lights came on, because I was sure it couldn't be for me.
What sucks is, that it's her word against mine, and any judge will side with the officer.

·
Crusty AF
1,215 Posts
The only time I got a ticket, he had me dead to rights. That and it was 12 hours away from home - no way I was going to argue it. He did drop it down so that it was just a fine and no points though.

Having said that, I have no experience with any of the traffic ticket outfits, and none at all with the US system. If the traffic was that busy though, and you were slowing down, maybe it's worth talking to one of them? How much is the ticket for, and could it potentially burn you in insurance?

·
Registered
708 Posts
Do you ever consider letting off the gas BEFORE the speed limit hits 45. Personally I'd be doing about 50 heading into the 45 zone in this case. I can care less if the person behind me doesn't like it, I'm not going to reach my destination appreciably faster by exceeding the speed limit, and I don't have to worry about being pulled over. My wife sees cops all the time when I'm driving, very rarely do I ever see them.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,895 Posts
Chain said:
Were you in the left lane driving a prius?
A prius doesn't do 60... and every time I almost get killed on a highway I'm stuck behind a prius trying to merge onto an interstate at 35mph.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts
DrSmile said:
A prius doesn't do 60... and every time I almost get killed on a highway I'm stuck behind a prius trying to merge onto an interstate at 35mph.

Prius does 60, it's the Prius drivers who don't......:D :D :D :D

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
In Minnesota and a few other states you can be ticketed for obstructing traffic at any speed, if you have more than 5 cars piled up behind you waiting. It's designed to smooth out the flow of traffic, and yes you can get a ticket for going slower than the speed limit if you don't let traffic pass.
It's a pet peeve of mine, if you see a bunch of cars stacked up behind you, pull over and let them pass. Common courtesy. They don't do it where I live very much, but some places I've been like Arkansas they'll pull over to let you by, and even wave good-naturedly at you.

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
nOOky said:
In Minnesota and a few other states you can be ticketed for obstructing traffic at any speed, if you have more than 5 cars piled up behind you waiting. It's designed to smooth out the flow of traffic, and yes you can get a ticket for going slower than the speed limit if you don't let traffic pass.
It's a pet peeve of mine, if you see a bunch of cars stacked up behind you, pull over and let them pass. Common courtesy. They don't do it where I live very much, but some places I've been like Arkansas they'll pull over to let you by, and even wave good-naturedly at you.
i hate that too. especially when it's some old dude in a fast car. :wink5:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts