Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the bike store yesterday and was blown away by how expensive everything is. I couldn't even get a deal on the 08 stuff. I start looking on the net and found several ti frames for under 2K. I've put together several bikes but never have touched titanium.
If I order one, what do I really need to know? Specifically:

Do I have to use special ti lube to install parts?
Can I use a Ti seatpost too?
What am I going to be surprised about?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
bosax said:
If I order one, what do I really need to know? Specifically:

Thanks
Yes, they recommend you use anti-seize on ti frames, as ti tends to molecularly bond to other metals. Anti-seize will help prevent that.

Yes, you can use a ti seatpost, alu, carbon, whatever.

Not sure you'd really be surprised by much. Maybe how easily a bike can be assembled from the frame up. Assuming the frame is prepared correctly before you take possession, I've found assembly to be a pretty fun and mostly painless process.

·
Registered
21,635 Posts
Grease

bosax said:
You can use anti seize, but grease works fine. Use it on all metal-metal contact surfaces including threads on bolts. I've been using grease with Ti, aluminum, and CF mix for over a decade with no problems.

Ti seat post is fine. Just remember to grease it (or use anti seize).

No surprises should be in the offing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ditto to the above and I use Teflon tape on the BB caps to help prevent creaking.

Also, make sure you get what you want because a Ti frame can last your life time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts