Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend, who was a very talented racer in his day, suggested going to a wider handelbar to "open me up" a bit.
I've heard or read this somewhere else as well.

Is there any credence to this?

I'm considering new road bars. I have been using a 42 c-c for a few years. Would a 44 c-c be all that different and or beneficial?

Also wouldn't using a being wider bar create more wind resistence because of a wider arm spread?

·
RoadBikeReview Member
162 Posts
It is a matter of preference.

I have a 44-cm (c-c) on one bike and also a 42-cm (c-c) on my another. Both bikes are the same manufacturer and set-up.

The 44-cm does provide a more "open" feel and a bit more space on the flat portion of the bar. But it is less aerodynamic. Naturally the bike with 44-cm bar is my leisure riding bike and the 42-cm one is for performance riding.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am a big-bar convert...

If by "open you up" the fellow means allowing unrestricted rib cage expansion, there could be something to that if you are somewhat constricted, and it is not uncommon.

I think that there are a number of considerations here. Comfort, reach, control, aesthetics, some others. For me, I took the recommedation to try a wider bar, and I like it a lot. I also went with a shorter reach, so my overall position didn't change at all. I like the feeling of control better with the wider bar, especially when cornering, and the wider bars don't bashed on my knees when I am sprinting sloppily.

Try one, you might like it.

hardride27 said:
A friend, who was a very talented racer in his day, suggested going to a wider handelbar to "open me up" a bit.

I'm considering new road bars. I have been using a 42 c-c for a few years. Would a 44 c-c be all that different and or beneficial?

Also wouldn't using a being wider bar create more wind resistence because of a wider arm spread?

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
climbing

hardride27 said:

I like a wider bar for climbing, especially out of the saddle climbing. More control and leverage. Works better for fast descents down twisty mountain roads, too. Maybe not so good for aerodynamics bumping around in big groups, and there's a limit to everything good.

·
Registered
95 Posts
try it, you'll probably like it...

i rode a 42 cm bar for years and years. when i retrofitted my old road bike last year, i went on that website that helps to fit you on a bike. i forget the name of the site, but i think its call probikefit or something like that; but i'm sure you can find it if you do a search. lo and behold, according to the fit chart, i should have been using a 46 all along. i switched and i've been very pleased with the results. it definitely opens you up, and helps with your breathing. i've also found that my hands do not go numb anymore. while that had never been a big problem, it would happen occasionally when i was using the 42 cm bar. with the wider bar, i dont have that problem at all.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Big Bars ...

I am 5'10" and weigh 155 lbs. with fairly wide shoulders, but I am no freak. I now always use 44cm center-to-center bars. I would never consider a narower bar after trying it. I cannot imagine what options the large guys out there have since most bars top out at 44cm c-s.

Go big ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.