Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be going to England soon and I'm wondering what cycling stuff I should watch for. I'll be on a tour and without my bike.....but I will be able to do some things on my own...especially in London. I'll also be in Oxford, Stratford, and Eppley. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
When you come to see us in England we're sure to give you a warm welcome.

Best bits:
Weather!
Countryside
Proper beer, Pedigree bitter, Guinness etc

Worst bits:
Weather!
Car drivers - have no patience with cyclists, beware.
Expensive - everything over here costs more, forget bike stuff, buy from home.

·
building my engine
163 Posts
a little of topic

******* said:
Don't know if you'll find any bargains in the UK, since the £ is stronger than the $...
There is an International Cycling Forum similar to this one where you can contact some of the 'locals' for tips: http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum and check out the 'best prices' site at: http://www.bikepimp.co.uk/
I kinda of curious, if the UK pound is stronger the the US dollar, then the people's standar of living in the UK most be twice as better then those living in the US and other countries. Is this correct?

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
longhorn31 said:
I'll be going to England soon and I'm wondering what cycling stuff I should watch for. I'll be on a tour and without my bike.....but I will be able to do some things on my own...especially in London. I'll also be in Oxford, Stratford, and Eppley. Any suggestions?

I spent over a year living in the UK and actually just got back to Canada three weeks ago. I was in Birmingham, which isn't exactly a city most tourists visit, so unless you're going there, I can't give any direct, detailed advice.

I will say that Stratford is a nice town, but it's very much a tourist haven. Be warned. Admission to Shakespeare's birthplace is exorbitant and I'm sure the same goes for all the other houses and sites connected to him. It's worth seeing, but if you have to pay to enter all those sites, you might want to re-think it. I could have lived a full, happy life without seeing the house (which may or may not be the real house, who knows?) in which Shakespeare was born, but that's just me. Don't get me wrong; Stratford is beautiful and I quite enjoyed it. It's worth the visit. If you can visit nearby Warwick and Warwick Castle, that's worth seeing as well.

But avoid that Pedigree bitter shite. Drink a real beer, like Boddington's or Newcastle Brown. :D ;)

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
Complete misunderstanding

Alter Ego said:
I kinda of curious, if the UK pound is stronger the the US dollar, then the people's standar of living in the UK most be twice as better then those living in the US and other countries. Is this correct?
The value of a currency has NOTHING to do with the standard of living in a country. The Sterling is around $1.50, so how you come up with "twice as better then" is a mystery to me! Currency valuations are about government policy and balance of payments. Standard of living is about per capita GDP (gross domestic product). On any given day, a country can decide to issue new currency with 10X the per unit value or 1/10 the per unit value of their current currency, and it doesn't change the standar of living one bit.

·
Registered
21,525 Posts
National Trust?

longhorn31 said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "cycling stuff I should watch for," but if you want to do many historical things (like around Stratford and Oxford) then you might consider joining the National Trust. They are sort of like the National Parks in the US, and if you join, as I understand it, your membership allows you to visit a bunch of places for free or reduced admission. I'm sure that you can dig this all out by visiting their web site.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "cycling stuff I should watch for," but if you want to do many historical things (like around Stratford and Oxford) then you might consider joining the National Trust. They are sort of like the National Parks in the US, and if you join, as I understand it, your membership allows you to visit a bunch of places for free or reduced admission. I'm sure that you can dig this all out by visiting their web site.
The other one to watch out for is English Heritage. They offer a tourist pass which isn't as expensive as a full year's membership and is good for about 2 weeks of visiting (my hubby and I got one last time we went there to visit). The National Trust tends to have more stately homes and gardens in its care, and English Heritage tends to look after the old castles, abbeys and other ruins.

If you're at all interested in visiting old churches in quaint little villages, you can cover many in one day on a bike. Just grab yourself a rental bike and an Ordnance Survey map of the area and plan out a route going through as many villages as you can find. The churches are easily visible as a symbol on the map (there are three different kinds: those with towers, those with steeples, and those with neither). A lot of churches will be locked, but they usually tell you where to get the key (mostly a local shop, house or pub). There is often a visitors book to sign, and you might also be able to find a guide book to the local area which will give you some of the top sites of interest. As long as you take a map with you, you'll be fine. try to plan a route that avoids roads that start with the letter 'A' since these are main roads... you're better off sticking to 'B' roads or roads with no classification.

Hope this helps :)

- Jen (exiled Brit)

·
Registered
413 Posts
longhorn31 said:
Tires and Campy parts are significantly cheaper in England. If I were going I would try and swing by Maestro's, http://www.maestro-uk.com/, and take a look at some Colnogo framesets.:)

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
If you rent a bike and cycle around watch for the taxis. They will be coming on the opposite side of the road and you might end up on the bonnet.

·
Soul Mining
382 Posts
Ken said:
Tires and Campy parts are significantly cheaper in England.

It's a funny thing. Complete bikes are rather overpriced, but the bits that go into them are reasonably priced. Many things make me miss the UK, and this is one of them. A tire that would cost me $50 here would cost only 10 pounds there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts