Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Becasue you only need 1
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would the recommendations be to buy (something that you can not pick up here)? Functional and/or just a souvenir.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
m1k said:
What would the recommendations be to buy (something that you can not pick up here)? Functional and/or just a souvenir.
Just keep yer eyes open. That's the best thing. I spent a summer there studying when I was 17, and the best thing I got was a head full of memories. Great place. I bought a bunch o' wine, a few times, intending to bring it home, but it seems the wine never made it that far......

Did buy a cool, carved wooden candlestick on Mont-Saint-Michel.....

·
Registered
438 Posts
Visit the bikeshops there. The experience will be worth it. There is a shop in Paris called
"Cycles Laurent". It has a lot of history, not to mention cheap stuff. Bought a frame from them 3 years ago and still use it to this day :)

Address is 9 Boulevard Voltaire. Walkable from the Metro.

Another shop I wanted to check out, but was closed at the time, was Velo and Oxygen. Might be worth a look, they are located along the Grande Armee avenue, just a stone's throw from the Ducati dealership.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My daughter

Just got back from Paris yesterday (10 yrs old - what jet lag?). I really think for her the experience was the best thing. She did say the hot chocolate - not the cocoa we have here - was the best. Enjoy your trip!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pick up a white rock from the top of Mont Ventoux after your bike ride to the top.

By the way, the ride is worth all the pain. I've done it 3 times :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Why Foie Gras of course and maybe some of those great non-pasturized cheeses that you will only find there.

Best though is just to walk, absorb as much as you can and bring back a boat load of memories. Great place with equally great people.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
Nougat and milled soaps from the south of France. And like Johnnysmooth says foie gras. If you are in the Dordogne region you can get canned foie gras with truffle bits in it. MMmmm!

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
I need to revise my advice. As others have said, get the fois gras. Nummy! Then, you should set aside about 20% of each day's budget for spending in patisseries. Mmmmmm. Milles feuilles......uber nummy!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Sasquatch said:
Visit the bikeshops there. The experience will be worth it. There is a shop in Paris called
"Cycles Laurent". It has a lot of history, not to mention cheap stuff. Bought a frame from them 3 years ago and still use it to this day :)

Address is 9 Boulevard Voltaire. Walkable from the Metro.

Another shop I wanted to check out, but was closed at the time, was Velo and Oxygen. Might be worth a look, they are located along the Grande Armee avenue, just a stone's throw from the Ducati dealership.
For Cycles Laurent use the Republique or Oberkamp (maybe Oberkampf) stops

Where are you going and maybe I can offer up some experience with shops I've visited in other parts of the country.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,259 Posts
Knives or toy pistols from Laguiole. Those folks are real craftsmen. Just make sure you put them in checked luggage and the authorities know about them.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
Knives or toy pistols from Laguiole. Those folks are real craftsmen. Just make sure you put them in checked luggage and the authorities know about them.
The best way to let the authorities know about the toy guns or knives is not to suddenly pull one out from inside your jacket as you sprint through the metal detectors.

Funny aside: when I was in Paris in 1982, I ate at a cafe....on Rue St. Germain, I think...that was, a few weeks later, bombed. That cafe had an awesome peche melba.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Insanedane said:
Pick up a white rock from the top of Mont Ventoux after your bike ride to the top.

By the way, the ride is worth all the pain. I've done it 3 times :)
I have only done it once, but you are right, it IS well worth the pain. I also would have to agree on the patisseries. J'aime beacoups les pains au chocolat!

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Where in France? We visited Lyon (relatives) and Juan le Pines near Nice. Just observe and stop at the markets. Some of the best food you'll ever eat. Cheeses, meats, wine. And don't forget the pastries and desserts!

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
m1k said:
Pick up some Vin de Savoie, because it's cheap (6 E), it's good, and you can't find it here as far as I can tell. Something from Apremont would be nice. I've been lucky to ride my bike through the vineyards there, on the slopes beneath the Col de Granier, where they often run the Classique des Alpes race.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
m1k said:

Most manufactured goods available in France also are available in the US. Given the rigid pricing retail pricing structure in France, there are no good deals in French products -- several years ago I brought some Limoges China and even with the VAT refund, I paid more than I would have in New York (I saw the same stuff in NY a few months later at the lower price). The one exception of which I can think is for things that manufacturers will not export to the US because of product liability laws. For example MET helmets are not available in North America. http://www.met-helmets.com/rivenditori/Distributori.jsp?zona=8
I agree with what most of the other people who have responded have said: just enjoy yourself, drink lots of French wine and eat lots of good French food. One thing I have discovered in France that is virtually impossible to find in the US is raw milk (lait cru) cheese. The few raw milk cheeses that make it to the US have to be aged for at least 60 days, which negates some of the taste and texture.

·
Becasue you only need 1
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I am spending a week in Paris. Currently planning on using the whole time for just Paris but may consider a day trip or two.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I used to live there, and have visited many times as a kid.

My favorite parts are Southern and Western Brittany, from Vannes to Le Conquet.
Dijon and Beaune, Bordeaux area south. And of course Provence. But it's hard to go wrong.

The center of Brittany is also worth the visit, but I never rode it. Driving those roads you have to honk a lot in advance of corners, esp at night, since the roads are narrow and windy, and ya can't see what's coming.

Make sure you
Un cafe express in the morning
Pick up french bread from the baker in the morning on the way to get your coffee
during the day you can stick just about anything you want in it
Eat a salad of tomatoes and onions vinaigrette at a relais routiers style restaurant.
While on the road east and sleep frequently at relais routiers -- and you may never want to come back (http://www.relais-routiers.com/)
Un petit rouge at lunch time in a cafe
Saucisson Sec
Rillettes -- in your french bread
Try a lot of different cheeses.
Wine, especially red, mitigates the naughtyness of eating of plenty of cheese -- it 'cuts the fat.'
A bottle or three of Morgon (Bourgogne)
Tasting refreshing and excellent white wines at roadside degustations in the Bordeaux region
For an inexpensive aperitif, dip some fruit in a little vin de pays d'Oc while you're down south -- preferably with a sig. other/companion
While in the south east -- be sure to eat 'pistou' in more than one place.
Have fun, ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts