Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:
Columbus Blue Jackets vs. ???

looking forward to it. I'll give a report when I return.
Teh J's only been to one, once(t), and it weren't bad, but mostly for the beer and company. it was a people watching deal for me. northrun crowds are a wee dif than southrun crowds, but mostly only cause'a the accents and them toques.

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
Friction_Shifter said:

I've never experienced anything like a Blackhawk game in the Old Barn in Chicago. I wouldn't have believed that just people could make that much noise. - TF

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and hockey never entered my consciousness. Then, when I was in my twenties, a girl from Boston took me to a couple of Kings games. The girl quickly passed from the scene, but for the next fifteen years or so, I was a complete, utter hockey fan. I even had a subscription to the Hockey News, so I could keep up on teams from places like Oshawa and Chicoutimi. A good hockey game seen live can be absolutely breathtaking. The speed. The grace. The violence. The ebb and flow. The comedy. Totally insane.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
Mapei Roida said:
I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and hockey never entered my consciousness. Then, when I was in my twenties, a girl from Boston took me to a couple of Kings games. The girl quickly passed from the scene, but for the next fifteen years or so, I was a complete, utter hockey fan. I even had a subscription to the Hockey News, so I could keep up on teams from places like Oshawa and Chicoutimi. A good hockey game seen live can be absolutely breathtaking. The speed. The grace. The violence. The ebb and flow. The comedy. Totally insane.
mappy, you should post more offen.

·
Registered
727 Posts
i've been to about 15 NHL games, probably over 30 WHL games and hundreds of junior games. friction- i believe the blue jackets are playing the coyotes tonight. columbus has lost 4 in a row, and their record is alright against phoenix, so i'm predicting a 3-1 win for the blue jackets.
what were your seats like? nhl games are pretty cool. i've been to a MLB game in toronto once and it was SOO boring and slow-moving. hopefully theres some good fights. nash already looks like he got beat with the ugly stick.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
You will be amazed......

Friction_Shifter said:

at how much better the game is live than on TV.

One idea....if your seats are not on either end.....at some point during the game, go to one end and watch a few minutes of action......To me the best place to watch a Hockey Game is about 25 rows up, behind the Goalie.

Len

·
Non non normal
10,098 Posts
Hockey is so much better live. In order for the cameras to capture the puck they must zoom in to the point you can't see the plays develop or action away from the puck.

Of course it gets no better than watching the Philadelphia Flyers live.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I've never experienced anything like a Blackhawk game in the Old Barn in Chicago. I wouldn't have believed that just people could make that much noise. - TF

I remember... My godmother's ex-husband is Hubert Jacques "Pit" Martin. He played for the Blackhawks in the late '60's and in the '70's. He won the NHL's Bill Masterton Trophy in '96-'70. He's tied for third in the NHL for most 3 or more goal games in one playoff year and he played in four consecutive NHL All-Star games from the '70-'71 season to the '73-'74 season. When I was little my parents took me down into the locker room after the games. ...if you know hockey I don't have to tell you who else was down there.

·
Daylight Fading
1,902 Posts
Hockey's an amazing sport, on any level

I was at my nephew's Pee Wee game two weekends ago. 10-12 year olds and already getting rough and tumble. I highly recommend that you take in a live game. TV kills the sport. The NCAA Frozen Four is coming to a town near you next weekend. Well, okay, if you live in places like Albany and Worcester it's near you. The best thing about NHL hockey is that you can take a chick to a game and they'll be interested, unlike baseball or football.

BT

BTW, Go B's. Please, please, please make the playoffs.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
I would, but Sonya hogs too much bandwidth on the ole' dsl.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
bigrider said:
Hockey is so much better live. In order for the cameras to capture the puck they must zoom in to the point you can't see the plays develop or action away from the puck.

Of course it gets no better than watching the Philadelphia Flyers live.

I totally lost interest in hockey after The Hammer and the Broad Street Bullies left the game....
it's not the same any more .........
JJ

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Been to 1 NHL game, many AHL games.

I'll agree. Hockey live is way better than on the tube. It amazes me how damn big some of those guys are. A tough sport, for sure.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Kram59 said:
I'll agree. Hockey live is way better than on the tube. It amazes me how damn big some of those guys are. A tough sport, for sure.
i played tennis with jarome iginla's wife 2 years ago. <----my claim to fame. i think she wanted me.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
With a tongue like that? Of COURSE she did!:D

·
Gronk SMASH!
1,973 Posts
Kings obsessive here. (We fired our coach today)
The best is when you stick around after an NHL game and they have adult leagues play.
I played hockey, and these leagues are way above me, but after watching the pros, these guys look like the special olympics on a melting pond. The difference in speed and skill is frightening. I imagine watching the peleton go by is similarly humbling.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Good morning everyone.
I grew up in Montreal, where hockey is religion. My city lives and dies by how well the Montreal Canadiens play. I've been following and playing hockey since I could I remember. Enjoy the game Peter, its tactics, strategies, speed, playmaking. I wish I was there with you. Our home team in the Swedish Elite League go eliminated from the playoffs last night so I'll be following the NHL even closer now.
Cheers, Wayne
ps. Forgot to mention all those years my father and I built a hockey rink in our backyard, staying our for hours watering and watering that little piece of frozen ground. Gosh, that was great fun.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
I don't think anyone ever forgets their first live NHL game. It's quite an experience. It's a crazy fast dance on two razor blades, while some 6' 6" goon is tryin' to take your head off.

I've been a die-hard Rangers fan since I can remember. I was 17 and my first game was at MSG. It was intense! It was three days b4 Christmas, no one wanted to fight, so it was a fast finesse game. I mean who wants to show up at mom's with a shiner on Christmas Day? ;)

Anyway, the lore of the Garden are the "Blue-Seaters." These are NYC's working class folk, some of the toughest guys in the world. These are the guys with the Rangers tats, leather Rangers hats, and jackets...etc. They sit in the upper deck cause they don't wanna be near the suits in the money seats.

Well, after the first period I decided to walk up there and check it out. As I got the the top of the stairs, the noise was deafening. I could feel the building shaking from these guys. As I peeked through the doorway I was overcome by the stench of cheap cigars and Budweiser. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. I decided not to enter the lion's den for fear of being sacrificed to the great Rangers hockey gods of days long past.

After returning to my seat I realized I witnessed something most people never see cause the TV cameras rarely showed the "blue-seaters" during a game. Too many fights...etc.

After having all my senses assaulted, drinking watered down beer, losing my voice, the game ended in 3-2 Rangers win. As we left the Garden, it started to snow. When it snows in NYC it becomes a different place. A peaceful calm overtakes the city. It's just beautiful. I literally went from one extreme; adrenaline pumping, lightning fast, pounding hockey, to the peaceful calm in a matter of moments. It's something I'll never forget.

Enjoy your first game!

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
So how was it?

I've been meaning to get to a Thrasher's game, but still haven't made it yet. I'm afraid I'll become a fan then that'll be something else to contribute toward my complete financial ruin. :D

1 - 20 of 37 Posts