Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Going under 12lbs.- NOW WITH PICS

My scott cr1 frame w/ its current build has been coming in at 12.75lbs. That's w/ a set of reynolds stratus dv rims w/ a white industries front hub and tune rear hub.
I recently has a pair of reynolds cirro sv (shallow carbon rim) rebuilt using only the rims-- the hubs were replaced w/ a m5 in the front and tune for the rear, using pillar ti spokes. Since these are NOT everyday wheels, I went w/ a stronlight ct2 cassette (12-25) and m2racer bolt on skewers.
I put the bike on the scale and it came up at 12.08 lbs. I was using a strap to hold the bike to the hook on the scale. I weighed the strap and it came up at .1 lbs, putting the bike just UNDER 12lbs. That's just sick. If I still had m2racer pedals that would shave another .2-.3 lbs, and if my new easton slx fork came anywhere near the claimed weight (this will be remedied shortly- I didnt pay all that money for something that comes in 40g overweight) it wouldnt even be that close.
Again, its not an everyday wheelset, but its nice to know I got there. I included a pic of the "everyday wheelset" as well (the wide rims!)

I didnt post the pics of the bike on the scale- you can view that at:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5335 -- scroll down a bit once you're there!
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Juanmoretime said:
Well done! Bring some rope to tie it down so it doesn't blow away when you break for a pee.:thumbsup:

Taken care of -- I dont get off the bike, I just pull to the side of the road, let go the yellow flow and off again-- keeping the bike from blowing away trumps civility!
 

· Administrator
Joined
·
13,152 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
My scott cr1 frame w/ its current build has been coming in at 12.75lbs. That's w/ a set of reynolds stratus dv rims w/ a white industries front hub and tune rear hub.
I recently has a pair of reynolds cirro sv (shallow carbon rim) rebuilt using only the rims-- the hubs were replaced w/ a m5 in the front and tune for the rear, using pillar ti spokes. Since these are NOT everyday wheels, I went w/ a stronlight ct2 cassette (12-25) and m2racer bolt on skewers.
I put the bike on the scale and it came up at 12.08 lbs. I was using a strap to hold the bike to the hook on the scale. I weighed the strap and it came up at .1 lbs, putting the bike just UNDER 12lbs. That's just sick. If I still had m2racer pedals that would shave another .2-.3 lbs, and if my new easton slx fork came anywhere near the claimed weight (this will be remedied shortly- I didnt pay all that money for something that comes in 40g overweight) it wouldnt even be that close.
Again, its not an everyday wheelset, but its nice to know I got there.

I have a couple of crappy pics, but its got the weight on the scale-- I'll post when I'm on the other computer.
Pictures man, we demand pictures!

:D
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I considered the look fork, but I just purchased and edge 2.0-- not lighter, but should be the BEST.

As for putting the hook under the nose of my saddle- that's a risky venture on an all carbon saddle.

I'm hoping to get pictures up tonite!
 

· Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,886 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
My scott cr1 frame w/ its current build has been coming in at 12.75lbs. That's w/ a set of reynolds stratus dv rims w/ a white industries front hub and tune rear hub.
I recently has a pair of reynolds cirro sv (shallow carbon rim) rebuilt using only the rims-- the hubs were replaced w/ a m5 in the front and tune for the rear, using pillar ti spokes. Since these are NOT everyday wheels, I went w/ a stronlight ct2 cassette (12-25) and m2racer bolt on skewers.
I put the bike on the scale and it came up at 12.08 lbs. I was using a strap to hold the bike to the hook on the scale. I weighed the strap and it came up at .1 lbs, putting the bike just UNDER 12lbs. That's just sick. If I still had m2racer pedals that would shave another .2-.3 lbs, and if my new easton slx fork came anywhere near the claimed weight (this will be remedied shortly- I didnt pay all that money for something that comes in 40g overweight) it wouldnt even be that close.
Again, its not an everyday wheelset, but its nice to know I got there.

I have a couple of crappy pics, but its got the weight on the scale-- I'll post when I'm on the other computer.
Jeeze...can't imagine cutting the weight of my bike in half.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cruzer2424 said:
Wow. That's amazing.

Can you post the rest of the build list?

I guess I'm interested in the bar/stem the most.
The bar is a stella azzurra Lario- I dont think they make them anymore, I found it on ebay, weighs about 185g, but much stiffer than a kestrel ems sl pro. Stem is extralite ul (road 100mm), either 82 or 87g.

Ok- here goes (sub 12 format):

Frame- scott cr1sl (size M)
Fork- easton slx (for now- will be switched out for an Edge 2.0- probably little to no weight change)
Wheels- cirro sv rims, m5 front hub, tune 180 rear hub, pillar ti spokes,servizio corse tires
Skewers- m2racer bolt on
Cassette- stronglight ct2 12-25Chain- kmc x10sl
Crankset: fsa k-force light, extralite octaramp rings (50-34), extralite chainring bolts (k force light bb- bb sleeve removed)
Front Derailleur- campy chorus braze on(tuned)
Rear Derailleur- sram red (w/ carbon fiber pulleys)
Shifters- sram red w/ btp clamps
Cables- der. cables sram stock w/ power cordz housing, brake cables-power cordz w/ nokons
Brakes- KCNC w/ swissstop yellow
Bars- Stella Azzurra Lario
Bar Tape- Deda
Stem- Extralite UL Roadstem (26.2 x 100)
Pedals- Time RXS Ulteam Ti
Bottle Cages- Tune & BTP (13g each)
Saddle- MLD carbon
Seatpost- control tech i-post (31.6 x 230mm), btp seatpost clamp
Computer- garmin edge 305 (cadence/speed sensor as well)

What did I forget?

Stuff in bold is the sub 12 setup- the wheels I use everyday are reynolds stratus DV's- WI LTA front hub (for now), Tune 180 rear w/ d/a 12-27 cassette.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sevencycle said:
Stronglight Pulsion crankset 170mm 423g.Custom steel isis BB 136g = 559g. is your CT seatpost light

Interesting-- still, if its got isis, I dont want it. My previous crankset was a kcnc w/ isis bb and the spacing caused all kinds of shifting issues I dont have w/ the outboard bearing setup. Performance over weight gain I guess.

The control tech post is about 163g, I know I can go lighter, but my saddle's rails are not compatible w/ the halfpipe/beam setup of most of the lighter stuff-- I'm NOT giving up that saddle, its the most comfy one I've used in 11 years.

On a side note, I switched my easton fork for an edge 2.0. No going back. No weight difference (although it will be less when I switch to an ultrastar plug) but the stability, tracking, etc is much, much better.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Chainline is more adjustable with ISIS BB.Shift problems would be more from KCNC crankset not BB. I found outboard bearing BB to have too wide Q-factor that lower's my power output.Look HSC5 fork handles perfect on my CR1.
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sevencycle said:
Chainline is more adjustable with ISIS BB.Shift problems would be more from KCNC crankset not BB. I found outboard bearing BB to have too wide Q-factor that lower's my power output.Look HSC5 fork handles perfect on my CR1.
Now that I think of it-- quite possible. Still, I'm very happy with the setup and it wasnt my goal to get under 12lbs, it just happened (which makes it even better). Q-factor hasnt been an issue.

I looked at the HSC5, although availability and price played in a bit, I'm really loving this edge fork- looks, ride, etc. When they come out w/ the edge 1.0, I'll have saved enough to switch over to that.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
638 Posts
Thats a great looking bike. Im kinda laughing at the thought of you getting on a 16.5 pound bike and thinking man this is a tank. Just curious though, I noticed you have spacers above your stem, planning on cutting or no?
 

· Banned
Joined
·
1,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
B15serv said:
Thats a great looking bike. Im kinda laughing at the thought of you getting on a 16.5 pound bike and thinking man this is a tank. Just curious though, I noticed you have spacers above your stem, planning on cutting or no?
My other bike is a steel frame equipped for loaded touring and (now) pulling my kids in a trailer-- that one weighs around 28lbs-- it has fenders so I do use it to commute in the rain and for winter rides.

As for the fork, I switched to an Edge 2.0 and I still have the same spacers -- I was playing w/ the height of the bars, but it seems this is as high as I'd go so I'll cut it at some point in the near future.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top