·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Damn. That hurts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Those guys are too skinny, I'm not going to even watch it. I might be able to keep up (somewhat), going down.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I signed up for the Cheaha Challenge this year, and I imagine that my comments will be something like the after credits guy had. I am not a light as those guys, but I will climbing the highest mountain in my state mountain twice along with all the other smaller climbs in May.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
You are going to climb the highest mountain in your state? .... does your state even have a mountain? ... maybe the tampa bay bridge is about the highest your going to get?

·
Registered
863 Posts
You are going to climb the highest mountain in your state? .... does your state even have a mountain? ... maybe the tampa bay bridge is about the highest your going to get?
I don't live in Florida anymore, I live in Alabama, working with NASA in the Huntsville area. The Cheaha Challenge goes up over the top of Mt. Cheaha ( 2,413 ft ) twice, once from each direction. The century that I am riding has around 9,000 ft. of climbing, the "Ultra" goes an extra 20-30 miles and racks up over 14K of climbing.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
In the late 80s a friend and I did a self supported 3 night/4 day loaded tour in Arkansas. The highest point in the state is Mt Magazine, probably under 2,200 ft. We scoffed at that, as we were climbing Clingmans Dome once a month. We were in the Ouachita National Forest and there were endless one mile rollers that day. Thoroughly kicked our butts, we hitched a ride the last mile to the top of Magazine as it was dark. Camped at the bottom, met two really interesting guys and that was the first and only time I ate chicken where (1) I saw feathers on the bird before it was cooked and (2) the birds were stolen. But that’s another story in itself. Pretty sure they were running from the law, but they had alcohol and we had weed.

Moral of story - low peak doesn’t necessarily mean easy climb.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
There are still no mountains in FL. I was riding with my bud the other month, he wanted to do a 3000 meter climb. He's mentioned it before several times. I told him about a couple of guys in the valley who would do it with him, but he can COUNT ME OUT! He's crazier than me! There is only 3 or 4 places one can do that in the continent, and I'm not going near them!
Around here a roller is something you can power over without gearing down, I do not consider a 1 mile climb a 'roller'. We were once camping out at the local lake, we thought we were going to have corn on the cob for supper over the fire. It was field corn, we were probably 13, and we're still on the run.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
In the late 80s a friend and I did a self supported 3 night/4 day loaded tour in Arkansas. The highest point in the state is Mt Magazine, probably under 2,200 ft. We scoffed at that, as we were climbing Clingmans Dome once a month. We were in the Ouachita National Forest and there were endless one mile rollers that day. Thoroughly kicked our butts, we hitched a ride the last mile to the top of Magazine as it was dark. Camped at the bottom, met two really interesting guys and that was the first and only time I ate chicken where (1) I saw feathers on the bird before it was cooked and (2) the birds were stolen. But that’s another story in itself. Pretty sure they were running from the law, but they had alcohol and we had weed.

Moral of story - low peak doesn’t necessarily mean easy climb.
This has kind of puzzled me for years. I live with lots of steep climbs, short though, mostly... yet, there a few climbs a seem to barely notice and some that break my back. and it doesn’t seem entirely correlated with grade? I have a dramatic grade maybe 1/4 mile climb, granted I typically do it in 34.30 but it’s no big. Sometimes I big ring sprint it but less lately because I hurt my knee doing that on that climb 3 years ago.

But there is a less dramatic climb, maybe 3/4 mile long that goes past my local police station that ends on a false flat for about another mile... It busts my balls. It doesn’t look brutal at all where the other climb looks totally brutal.

That same thing applies to a number of local grades. I really don’t think it’s a psychological phenomenon.... When that police station climb finally turns downhill, I’m on fire. Then I get 3 miles of gentle descent.... I’ll do it in the low 20s (mph) depending on the lights and highway crossings.

It just seems the effort and the predictability should be more consistent with the grade?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
For the most part, I love to climb. But there are a few climbs 'I don't like', and I hate to say it. They aren't long, they aren't especially steep, but I can never hammer over them. I hate being the person that says "I don't like this climb" or "OMG, we have to climb 1000ft???". It's not the long ones. Usually it's because I hit those climbs at the bottom with very little momentum, there's a head wind, I'm totally exposed to sun on chipseal, bad traffic when they're moving fast and you're moving slow, it's at a point in the ride where you're whupped anyways......

That said, if I lived where it was pancake flat...................... I would find another sport.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts