Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

What option would you pick?

• 2013 Cannondale Supersix 6 Tiagra $1349 and upgrade to Ultegra later.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 2013 Cannondal Supersix 3 Ultegra 3 $2800 the "ideal size" 54cm

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 2012 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra $2400 the "shorty"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Screw a Cannondale and buy something else!!! LMAO

Votes: 5 71.4%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After looking over several options I have been focused on a Cannondale Supersix. With that stated I was presented 3 options. One option was from a friend whom races, and the other option were from a bicycle shops and promotions they have. Intention for bicycle is road/stage races. I dont feel as strong doing crits. I like to CLIMB!

I am 5'9" and about 162lbs (if weight even matters) hahaha

Option 1 (Race Friend Mentality):
My friend who races sent me a link with a great price.
Cannondale SuperSix 6 Tiagra - Incycle Bicycles - Your #1 choice for bikes
2013 Cannondale Supersix Tiagra 54cm - $1,349
He advised me that this is a quality frame and you could easily upgrade to an Ultegra group for about another $600-700 and have a great bike for low $2K. Then add a great set of carbon wheels for about $500 and you are all set to go. To me this sounds great.

Option 2 (Basic sale at LBS):

2013 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra 54cm - $2800 (quoted yesterday)
Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra C - Trek Bicycle Superstore San Diego CA
Purchase a new bicycle with basic maintenance and warranty covered by LBS.

Option 3 (The curve ball!):

2012 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra 52cm $2400. I was advised that it is possible to make the adjustments, but it would not be "ideal" and a bit aggressive. I am interested in racing next season so I dont mind if it is aggressive.... it basically puts you in that "GO" mentallity. :cool:

I would appreciate all feedback, especially those with racing experience with 1 size smaller frame!!! :thumbsup: I want to pull the trigger this Saturday May 11th and will try to get the deal a little better if possible.

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
None of these options sound all that good to me.

Option 1: Probably the best if you're happy with lower end components. Never buy a bike thinking "I'll upgrade". You're basically buying components/wheels/whatever twice. It's not the most economical way to get what you want. Just buy what you want in the first place. Taigra is about a $500 group, Ultegra is about $1000 group (that's complete, not with FSA mystery cranks and whatever else cannondale sticks on their bikes -- Tektro brakes?). What exactly are they swapping out for $600-700?

Option 2: Why does this option cost more than double what option 1 costs? If it has what you want, and I hope that's more than just Ultegra shifters, then maybe this is what you want.

Option 3: Penny wise, pound foolish -- Don't get an ill fitting bike to save a few hundred bucks. you'll regret it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None of these options sound all that good to me.

Option 1: Probably the best if you're happy with lower end components. Never buy a bike thinking "I'll upgrade". You're basically buying components/wheels/whatever twice. It's not the most economical way to get what you want. Just buy what you want in the first place. Taigra is about a $500 group, Ultegra is about $1000 group (that's complete, not with FSA mystery cranks and whatever else cannondale sticks on their bikes -- Tektro brakes?). What exactly are they swapping out for $600-700?

Option 2: Why does this option cost more than double what option 1 costs? If it has what you want, and I hope that's more than just Ultegra shifters, then maybe this is what you want.

Option 3: Penny wise, pound foolish -- Don't get an ill fitting bike to save a few hundred bucks. you'll regret it.
Here is a link of the example in that price range. Ultegra Group 6700

Option 1: I am trying to see if they will swap out Tiagra for credit and just install Ultegra from get-go.

Option 2: Option 1 is a "closeout" according to store and Option 2 is 2013 "regular" sale price. Option 2 includes the following CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS

Option 3: I was fitted and they stated I was in between sizes. The stated that I would need a longer stem and seat moved a little back. Bike would be a bit more aggressive due to smaller frame.

pmf - Greatly appreciate your feedback! So what other brand would be your alternative? If, that was you that voted get another brand. HAHAHA

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Are the option 2 and 3 wheels good enough that you wouldn't need to upgrade them or would you still want to add the $500 wheels to them also?

Are you the kind of guy that likes to upgrade bits and parts, no matter what you start with? Do you get satisfaction from building a bike exactly how you like it?

Would it help you financially to buy the cheaper bike and upgrade, since it would spread out the cost, but might cost more in the long run?

Does the smaller size have shorter crankarms or skinnier handlebars that you'd have to change? I'd imagine you'd have the expense of changing out the stem, at the very least.

The cheapest and easiest route is to buy the bike that has everything that you want on it when you buy it.

Reactions: BlackIce619

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
The cheapest and easiest route is to buy the bike that has everything that you want on it when you buy it.
Bingo

But when you buy a bike from a LBS/Cannondale dealer (or Specialized, Trek, whatever), you don't get that option. The last three bikes I've bought, started with buying a farme/fork, then buying components, wheels, bars, stem, post, saddle -- everything just like I want. But it takes time, and the OP wants to "pull the trigger" on Saturday. Yes, its always a good deal to buy a built up bike, provided its got exactly what you want. I never find that to be the case. Mavic Aksiums on a $3000 bike?

Buying option 1, and then forking out $1000 to replace the components isn't very economical. Yeah, you could sell the Tiagra parts, but what's the market for used Tiagra parts? $150?

I guess its between option 2 and 3 depending on what fits you best. I'm your height and have a a 33" inseam. I ride a 56 cm (c-c) road bike. All my bikes are that size. In the size world, that roughly translated to "medium/large". I do believe that I could ride a 54 or 58 cm bike comfortably, but I'd prefer the 56 cm. If the option 2 bike really does fit better, then its not worth $400 to go with the smaller one. If you really are in between in the sizing, then go with the smaller one. Just take note of who is telling you that you're in between in the sizing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are the option 2 and 3 wheels good enough that you wouldn't need to upgrade them or would you still want to add the $500 wheels to them also?

Are you the kind of guy that likes to upgrade bits and parts, no matter what you start with? Do you get satisfaction from building a bike exactly how you like it?

Would it help you financially to buy the cheaper bike and upgrade, since it would spread out the cost, but might cost more in the long run?

Does the smaller size have shorter crankarms or skinnier handlebars that you'd have to change? I'd imagine you'd have the expense of changing out the stem, at the very least.

Awesome POST!! In an ideal world, I would like to have a bike with what I want. That is why option 3 at the moment is what I am looking at. I just went to another LBS, just to make sure I am not missing out on any deals. They have a 2012 MASI Evoluzione Ultegra w/FSA SL-K light crank for $2300 (click here for specs online)

That price is without me attempting to negotiate.

Randy99CL - I greatly appreciate your feedback and will highly take it into consideration. I pull the trigger in less than 24hrs.... DRUM ROLL!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bingo

But when you buy a bike from a LBS/Cannondale dealer (or Specialized, Trek, whatever), you don't get that option. The last three bikes I've bought, started with buying a farme/fork, then buying components, wheels, bars, stem, post, saddle -- everything just like I want. But it takes time, and the OP wants to "pull the trigger" on Saturday. Yes, its always a good deal to buy a built up bike, provided its got exactly what you want. I never find that to be the case. Mavic Aksiums on a $3000 bike?

Buying option 1, and then forking out $1000 to replace the components isn't very economical. Yeah, you could sell the Tiagra parts, but what's the market for used Tiagra parts? $150?

I guess its between option 2 and 3 depending on what fits you best. I'm your height and have a a 33" inseam. I ride a 56 cm (c-c) road bike. All my bikes are that size. In the size world, that roughly translated to "medium/large". I do believe that I could ride a 54 or 58 cm bike comfortably, but I'd prefer the 56 cm. If the option 2 bike really does fit better, then its not worth $400 to go with the smaller one. If you really are in between in the sizing, then go with the smaller one. Just take note of who is telling you that you're in between in the sizing.
Specific frames and geometry can make your "ideal" size vary. The brand MASI that I just checked out during my lunchtime at work.... I am a 50cm.

Time to crunch numbers with Cannondale and Masi options and pull trigger. I will promise to post up pictures once selection is made.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
2,337 Posts
Randy99CL - I greatly appreciate your feedback and will highly take it into consideration. I pull the trigger in less than 24hrs.... DRUM ROLL!
Thanks BI!

My problem is that I am the guy that I wrote of.
I like custom, different, unique. I like to look at the catalogs and learn of the parts and pick out what I'd get if I could.

With the scenario that you've described I would get the cheaper bike and build a race wheelset, then use the cheapies for everyday training. Never hurts to have extra wheels.

Then I'd ride it for a while and decide what I wanted/needed to change.

I'd check the dozen or so retailers I've bookmarked for sales on the other components. Maybe Ultegra here, DA or Campy or Sram there. Then there are FSA and Williams and Ritchey for bars and stem and seatpost.

Starting with the $1349 bike I could probably build a better equipped bike than the $2800 option for less money and have two sets of wheels. Maybe not, but at least close.

But I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it that way because it is really easy to spend more than you should. Like I said, that's just me and the way I like to do things.
For me it is a habit, an addiction. Even if I bought a $10K bike there are probably things I'd want to change on it.

You should see the turbo kit I want to get for my car. And I'm finally getting the SSD for my laptop. And it just goes on and on and on.
The fool and his money?? That's me.

Edit: But I've got some really cool stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks BI!

My problem is that I am the guy that I wrote of.
I like custom, different, unique. I like to look at the catalogs and learn of the parts and pick out what I'd get if I could.

With the scenario that you've described I would get the cheaper bike and build a race wheelset, then use the cheapies for everyday training. Never hurts to have extra wheels.

Then I'd ride it for a while and decide what I wanted/needed to change.

I'd check the dozen or so retailers I've bookmarked for sales on the other components. Maybe Ultegra here, DA or Campy or Sram there. Then there are FSA and Williams and Ritchey for bars and stem and seatpost.

Starting with the $1349 bike I could probably build a better equipped bike than the $2800 option for less money and have two sets of wheels. Maybe not, but at least close.

But I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do it that way because it is really easy to spend more than you should. Like I said, that's just me and the way I like to do things.
For me it is a habit, an addiction. Even if I bought a $10K bike there are probably things I'd want to change on it.

You should see the turbo kit I want to get for my car. And I'm finally getting the SSD for my laptop. And it just goes on and on and on.
The fool and his money?? That's me.
I love your concept, but I would get over excited about spending and go over as well!!! hahaha

Maybe I should purchase wheels from you! hahaha

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
After looking over several options I have been focused on a Cannondale Supersix. With that stated I was presented 3 options. One option was from a friend whom races, and the other option were from a bicycle shops and promotions they have. Intention for bicycle is road/stage races. I dont feel as strong doing crits. I like to CLIMB!

I am 5'9" and about 162lbs (if weight even matters) hahaha

Option 1 (Race Friend Mentality):
My friend who races sent me a link with a great price.
Cannondale SuperSix 6 Tiagra - Incycle Bicycles - Your #1 choice for bikes
2013 Cannondale Supersix Tiagra 54cm - $1,349
He advised me that this is a quality frame and you could easily upgrade to an Ultegra group for about another $600-700 and have a great bike for low $2K. Then add a great set of carbon wheels for about $500 and you are all set to go. To me this sounds great.

Option 2 (Basic sale at LBS):

2013 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra 54cm - $2800 (quoted yesterday)
Cannondale SuperSix 3 Ultegra C - Trek Bicycle Superstore San Diego CA
Purchase a new bicycle with basic maintenance and warranty covered by LBS.

Option 3 (The curve ball!):

2012 Cannondale Supersix 3 Ultegra 52cm $2400. I was advised that it is possible to make the adjustments, but it would not be "ideal" and a bit aggressive. I am interested in racing next season so I dont mind if it is aggressive.... it basically puts you in that "GO" mentallity. :cool:

I would appreciate all feedback, especially those with racing experience with 1 size smaller frame!!! :thumbsup: I want to pull the trigger this Saturday May 11th and will try to get the deal a little better if possible.

Thanks,
Adrian
That's easy, go with option 1, best one by far...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
So I pulled the trigger and purchased a 2012 Masi Evoluzione. Another LBS had one on closeout for $2300 OTD and I couldnt pass it up. I was on the fence from supersix and this one, but decided to give this a shot and be a little "different". The test ride felt GREAT! Extreemly solid!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE!

So I officially took it out for a ride/workout instead of just a "test ride". Sales person advised me that although the frame stated 50cm it was a 53cm top tube.

While on the ride we maintained a quick paceline and the random sprints began... I noticed that I was focusing more on no trying to hit my knees with handlebar than going all out :mad2: I had several of my friends mentioned that the frame was too small. The shops "fix" was to replace the stem with a 120. Friends advised me that when you pay a price for a bicycle, the frame should always be the right size. I RETURNED IT :( (Although I was loving the look of it). Friends also told me that they gave me a 50cm because they did not have any other size besides a 56cm (which would be too big).

Back to the search for a new bike for racing!!!

The next two bikes I have seen in similar price ranges are Focus Izalco Pro (SRAM FORCE -with cheap wheels) and Cannondale SuperSix (Ultegra - with Mavics). The cannondale at a local shop is less expensive and it has carbon FSA SL-K light crank and better wheels!!!

Does it make sense to pay a little more for a Focus Izalco Pro when less quality parts???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 281118

I so pulled the trigger and got the Cannondale SuperSix. I got a great deal and was able to get an amazing price on carbon pedals, carbon cleats, and carbon cages. I purchased it last Friday and raced it Sunday. What a great bicycle. Feels solid and gives that extra bit of confidence!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.