Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend my next door neighbor left this Golden Arrow bike with a Suntour/Shimano groupo on the curb after his garage sale w/ a free sign on it. I pumped the flat tires, sized it, took it for a spin and considered keeping it, thinking I could revive this bike easily. After several hours of elbow grease and removing who knows how many years worth of grease and oil on every part of the bike, I was able to make most of it shine. I'm glad the rims had all that grease on it since they shined instantly!

I have new gum walled tires in order, natural handlebar tape, a new chain and brake cables. I already replaced the shifter cables from my stock. The bb spins OK and the rear hub has some play in it but I should be able to fix that.

So on to my questions, I have no idea what year this bike is from. I've searched the internet for Golden Arrow and all I get is the Shimano group Golden Arrow. I'm assuming this is a low-end bike from the 80's. The bb has nothing that looked like a brand or year but I guess that perhaps because it was using Shimano Dee-50 someone can have a clue or maybe someone can recognize it and tell me anything about this bike. The hubs are Kun Teng. The down-tube decal is kinda cheesy since it looks like a sheet of laminate paper wrapped around it. I'm thinking of removing it unless some one cries foul ;)

Here's a link to all the images that I took while cleaning it if you need to see more that what I put below:
https://s95138737.onlinehome.us/cycling/index.php

·
Bikespace member
4,445 Posts
looks like it would make a fine single speed townie.

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Head Tube Badges...

a real lost art. It's a shame that decals have replaced the lost medium of badges. Kind of like album art I suppose.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Is that overheating behind the head tube?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here's the finished product. I pieced it all together and I ended up having to replace the stem, brakes and handlebar from a free donor bike with similar brand components. The donor bike included a Brooks CR3 plastic saddle which I put on this one. The bike looks much better in person, I'd say, the chrome just pops! I took it on the usual lunch ride w/ the guys and I gotta say it took a lot of extra effort to get the bike moving vs. their lightweight machines but I beat them to the top of the "hill" and I got the final sprint (w/ clipless pedals)! ;) It was my first time with friction shifters and I found myself fiddling with it after every shift but otherwise it's a smooth ride. Perhaps, I'd leave it when going downtown. I might get a Moderniste bottle cage w/ clips to mount it to the downtube to complete the look, but besides I think it's finished.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the comments! I agree that the levers could be upgraded since they're not the most comfortable. I'll see what I can do about that. Re moving the shifter levers down, I handn't thought about it, well I just figured the diameter of the clamp was not the same. I'll see if it fits. If not, I have another one from another bike that I may be able to use. One thing that I do want to remove is the spoke protector behind the cassette to make it look more racy, I think it gives it a "cheap" look. Hopefully my LBS get that removed since I don't have 2 prong Suntour cassette removal tool. Thanks!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I removed the spoke protector, moved the shifters to the downtube and replaced the saddle w/ an old leather Brooks saddle I had. I tried removing the suicide levers but it made the reach too far, so I'm leaving it as is for now.
Here's the updated picture:

·
On your left!
1,299 Posts
Nice Job

Always glad to see a recycled cycle and yours is really quite nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Always glad to see a recycled cycle and yours is really quite nice.
Hi, I know it is sometime ago the above post, but only just come across it !

I don't suppose you ever changed your Shimano Dee-50 brake levers did you, and kept them? I have a broken auxiliary lever, been searching for ages, but just cannot find a replacement ? Thanks in anticipation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts