Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
rooster rubber
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I stumbled across a cache of golf balls in the arroyo near our house during our evening ride. Since we're having a garage sale soon I figured I'd pick some up and see if I could sell them to the neighborhood link-heads. We started looking around and there are literally hundreds of them down there. We filled our pockets but couldn't carry any more. We'll go back tomorrow with a duffel bag and get some more if it's worthwhile.

So are they worth anything? They're all name brand and look to be in good shape (but a little dirty.) I remember as a kid the pro-shop at the local course would sell used balls. I'm thinking fifty cents each at the garage sale. More? Less? Throw them away? I have no idea.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i'd separate them out. the ones with scuffs and obvious markings go in a bin for 25 cents each. then have a "nice" group for 50 cents each.

if the "good" ones were in a pro shop, they'd probably go for $1, bt you'll be working on garage sale economics, so go cheaper than them....

·
gazing from the shadows
27,287 Posts
ampastoral said:
...garage sale economics...
Be ready to say no to the people that offer you a buck for the bucket.

Set price per ball (50/25 sounds good), then be ready to give a price for 10 at a time (say, 3.50 instead of 5), or a price per bucket (10 maybe). People will haggle, and if you are ready for it, you should clear a bit more cash in the end.

Garage sales are best seen as a way to clear junk out, not make money. The money is just a bonus, the free space you gain in the real pay off.

·
Great White North
1,139 Posts
My wife and I had a garage sale this weekend. You should see if there are any baby clothes in the ditch with the golf balls, because thats really what people are looking for.

We made almost $600 in a day, I'm guessing that about $350+ was in baby clothes @ $1 per. Great to have the stuff out of the house though, less stuff to move in ~6 weeks.

Also, if the golf balls don't sell, go find an aluminum little league bat and have a blast. Just give yourself a lot of room cause golf balls+aluminum bat = barry bonds.

HTH.

Plum

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Folks that are in the market for 'experienced' golf balls usually pay less than a buck per for new rock-flites.

The used market is more like $0.20 when sourced. Garage sale prices lower.

I'd offer at $2-3 / dozen, prepared to take less. you'll need to decide if that's worth the effort.

Unless you are going to prepack, you'll need to consider people cherry-picking. Like baseball cards, part of the value is getting the occasional ProV-1.

·
Registered
146 Posts
danl1 said:
Folks that are in the market for 'experienced' golf balls usually pay less than a buck per for new rock-flites.

I'd offer at $2-3 / dozen, prepared to take less. you'll need to decide if that's worth the effort.

Unless you are going to prepack, you'll need to consider people cherry-picking. Like baseball cards, part of the value is getting the occasional ProV-1.
+1. most of those look to be two piece balls...not worth much new let alone used. if you sort through and find any three piece balls in good/decent shape, set em aside.

·
Registered
800 Posts
danl1 said:

These numbers sound about right. Used balls don't always play well:)

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
New_World_Man said:
These numbers sound about right. Used balls don't always play well:)
The only reason mine ever go OB is because of hidden internal defects.

So the evidence says these are all busticated.

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
you'd be lucky to get $0.25/ ball

1 - 10 of 10 Posts