Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out for 30 mi. with the club this morning. Road work was being done on a stretch of one of the roads, and the right lane was dug up. There was about an 8-12" drop from the left lane to the right. The construction wasn't long, probably less than a quarter mi. and they had traffic controllers with the usual stop/slow signs.

As we approached there was no opposing traffic so Gomer turned the sign to "slow" & waved us through. He had his radio up to his ear talking to Bubba at the other end of the construction zone. We were taking it easy riding maybe 15 mph or so when all of a sudden a car approaches us from the front in the same lane as us. There was nowhere else to go. We continued, the car stopped, we stopped and stood there blinking at each other. We finally moved our bikes off to the side & let her go by. About 100 yds later we see other cars starting to approach because Bubba waved them on even though we were still on the road. We got to the end & I asked, "Why did you let those cars through?" "Well you have to realize that they're cars & you guys are only on bikes."

Gomer & Bubba...they're cut from the same cloth.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
That's pretty scary. I had a similar occurrence a few months back. The road was open to one lane. The flagmen had the sign turned to 'stop'. I stopped. Then he flipped it back to 'slow' and I started going like a son-of-a-gun. Then he flipped it back to 'stop'. I braked hard to a stop. He laughed. flipped the sign back to 'slow'. I guess he thought it was a joke. It was a PG&E employee. He said something about my global warming jersey as I passed. It takes all kinds. Once and awhile I will encounter a flagman and they will just ignore me. Life in the country.

·
In Blue America
436 Posts
I had a similar run-in with Gomer and Bubba a few years back on my commute to work. There was construction going on but no lanes closed; they simply closed a short stretch of road to traffic so trucks and equipment could move around. There were two flag guys out at either end, and this was such a short piece of road they could actually see each other.

As I rode up to Gomer and his STOP sign I saw that he was holding the sign, smoking, and talking on a phone. He partially had his back to me, but suddenly noticed me waiting patiently and faced me, rotated the sign to SLOW, then turned and continued his conversation.

I rode along the road when a huge flatbed truck came rumbling down the road. I thought it was kind of strange, but since both lanes were open I figured maybe we were both expected to go slow. And I was. But the driver flashed his lights and began laying on the horn. He yelled something as I went past. When I got to the end, Bubba ran toward me and yelled "YOU DON'T EVER GO THROUGH A STOP SIGN!!"

I went apezhit on the guy and cursed and threatened him, yelling that the other %$&%& guy waved me through, and wtf did he send a truck in at the same time. Bubba paused, and even though I was past him I stopped my bike and continued ranting at the guy. Really, I surprised myself at how crazy I got, and even though I was a skinny guy on a bike I think it surprised Bubba, too.

Looking back, I don't know what Gomer was doing with that sign at the start - did he try to flip the sign to STOP but turned his back and accidentally displayed the SLOW side? Did he even care?

The next morning there were 2 different guys holding signs out there, and I was courteous and polite.

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
I'd report those guys to whatever company they are working for as well as your state department of transportation. That is a bad day waiting to happen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts