Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having read several members reveiws towards Gommitalia and Vittoria tires I was wondering which of these models is better. Gommitalia makes both the Targa K and the Calypso K . While Vittoria offers the Open Corsa EVO KX and also the Diamante Pro both manufactures offer these tires in the color yellow. I intend to run Mr tuffies tire liners in them to give me some measure of cussion from the hated flats. The Gommitalia Targa K comes in a 22 and which happens to be the model that I am leaning towards, if I am 195lbs am I to large for it. I intend to use these tires for training. Thank you for any input that you might have. Morgan in Merced

·
Registered
434 Posts
I can only comment on the Vittoria Open Corsas. Very nice tires, great ride quality. But, I wouldn't purchase them for training as the compound is really soft and cuts up easily. I finally had to retire mine due to cuts, not wear.

One other thought might be the Vredesteins, wonderful ride, though not overly light. Good wear also. I've also had good luck with Michelins.

Hopefully you can get a broader view from others.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Own both

Here's my .02 on them.

Calypso's -- nice price point. I also like the looks of the plain tan sidewall. They seem to wear and ride pretty well. They come in a neat little tin.

Corsa CX's -- easier to mount than the Calypso's. They ride the same as the Calypso's as well. I can't speak for the wear since they are only a few weeks old.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Carbonsnail said:
I intend to run Mr tuffies tire liners in them to give me some measure of cussion from the hated flats.
A Tuffy will basically ruin the qualities of the tire. If you need puncture protection, you'd be better off with a tougher tire... and they are generally cheaper as well. For a lot of people I think it makes sense to have two sets of wheels... a cheap durable set with tough tires for everyday use, and a nicer set for when you want to go fast.

The tires you mentioned are good, BTW... might want to consider Michelin Pro2s also.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi,

I've ridden neither, though I did come close to purchasing the Calypso Ks recently (chose Veloflexes instead). I'd like to second rruff's point. Why buy nice, grippy tires like these fine models if you're looking to ruin them with tire liners like Mr. Tuffies? The tires you've chosen are touted for their prime road feel, suppleness, and grip--particularly in corners. Tire liners will most likely make these fine bits of rubber feel like $18 cheapo tires. The road-hugging qualities just may vanish, and that's the main reason to buy the models you're deciding between. Specialized and Continental both make super-flat-proof tires that you can use. They'll require less maintenance (tire liners can shift or produce other problems--look up reviews for 'em) and will ride equally well; possibly better. Conti GP3000s (now upgraded to the 4000s) are pretty damned durable and flat resistant while still offering a decent ride quality for general riding/training. (The 4000s are said to offer a quite superior ride quality to the 3000s, by the way, and their puncture resistance is allegedly better.)

Sorry I can't help with actual experience on the tires you've chosen--though I believe they're both quite nice rides--but the tire liner will nix any of their qualities, I'd assume.

Nige

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I failed to mention that the wheels im going to put these on are a new set of 2005 Campy Zondas. Now im pretty sure that most of you have read some of the horror post concerning putting tires on Campy wheels. Ive read them also and remembered back to when I purchased my 2002 Gaint OCR 1 Elite (New old Stock) about a year ago which came with Protons and low budget Hutchingson tires. I had the owner at my lbs replace them with Michelin Pro Race 2's. Well it seemed like quite a work out for him placing the new tires on(a CAT 2 racer I might add he is)and it took awhile also. The Michelins are great tires and ride nicely it's just that I don't look forwrd to removing them in order to change a flat 25 miles out in some part of California's version of the Third World. Sorry but I will admit that im a newbie. Hinch my inquiry about the Gommo's and Vittoria's supposedly easier to get on and off the rim and from what ive read in post here. If the models I mentioned in my first post will suffer degraded performance by using tire liners how about the Vittoria Rubino Pro or Gommitalia's Logo Clincher as a new choice? Thanks again gang.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I ride Campy rims on most of my wheels and have a set of Euros. Putting tires on them is not the end of the world. One thing that would help would be if you pre stretch them a bit on other wheels. You could even get some rims the local shop has had to replace and use them, if they're not in too bad of condition.

The other Vittorias you mention are nice as well. I have one on a set of race wheels, (mismatched tires) and it seems really nice. If you're really worried about flats, try some of the Contis. They'll be tough to mount the first time, but who cares, (they are on pretty much any type of rim). I have a set of the Ultra Gatorskins on my fixy that I've had great luck with. You could go with the 25mm size for a little better ride than you'll get out of the 23. As stated above, the 3000 or 4000 comes in a Gatorskin as well.

So, either a nicer tire with a liner, or a decent tire with built in protection. Your choice, but I'd go with one of the Gatorskin models over using a liner. Plus, mounting a tired without a liner is probably easier in the first place.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Fit on Campy wheels

I have Campy wheels and both brands of tires went on without much effort. I give the Vittorias a little higher mark on this than the Calypso's. The Vittorias went on (2006 Zonda's) without the use of tire levers. I did have to use tire levers for the last couple of inches (Protons) for the Calypso's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts