Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I have avoided the switch to being "attached" to my pedals, but I have been thinkin about it more and more lately. I have never tried it so I was wondering, there are so many types on ebay for less than $15, Do I just pick one, find a cheap pair of shoes and get the adapter cleat thing to match the pedals?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Briefly: You need pedals, cleats (the things that screw on to your shoes and snap into the pedals), and bike shoes (which are designed for cleats). Cleats come with new pedals, but maybe not with used pedals. The cleats and pedals must be the same brand (e.g., you can't connect Shimano cleats to Look pedals).

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cleat positioning and shoe fit are two very key components to overall fit. If you intend to ride long distances, I would HIGHLY recommend spending the money to get the right gear. Yes, you can buy your pedals on eBay, but you should buy the shoes and the cleats at local bike shop and get them properly positioned.

If not done correctly, at minimum you'll end up with hot spots on your feet or knee pain.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So to recap, will cycling shoes accept basically any cleat?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
awesome, off to find some cheap 10.5 / 44 shoes :D

thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not know that, nice timing, I found some cheap Mtn shoes on local CL, my match them with some cheap mtn pedals just to feel out if I like having my feet attached to the bike?

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
I ride mountain pedals and shoes on my road bike. It looks kinda dorky, but it's what I've got, and it gets the job done. Then again, I am definitely a Fred :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jim311 said:
I ride mountain pedals and shoes on my road bike. It looks kinda dorky, but it's what I've got, and it gets the job done. Then again, I am definitely a Fred :)
I'm right there with ya! I don't have the cash to be buying new shoes because my bike's on the road.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is there a pedal system to stay away from, how are Look and SPD?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
My wife prefers to ride with mtn bike shoes and pedals because the mtn bike pedals have 2 sides of entry/attachment. Mtn bike shoes also have a substantially grippier sole than most road shoes and are generally easier to walk in.

If you are starting off on the inexpensive end, I'd stick with Shimano SPD pedals like the PD-M540 or PD-M520 ( http://bike.shimano.com/publish/con.../mountain/product.-code-PD-M520-L.-type-.html ) Forget the cheap knock-offs and no-name brands. For the money, Shimano SPD pedals tend to be low maintenance, durable and easy to adjust release tension, etc.

FWIW, I use Time Atacs on my mtn bike and really like them. Prior to that I was using Shimano SPD pedals. I still use Shimano road pedals on my road bikes after giving up on LOOK's road pedals (too much squeaking from the cleat).

Note that some cleats may require modification of the shoe or an adapter plate. Some speedplay cleats come to mind. Shimano stuff avoids all that.

As for shoes, that's really depends on your foot, your preference, etc. Maybe try on some cheap Specialized or Shimano shoes. I prefer SIDI shoes but haven't tried the low-end Sidis to be able to recommend them. It all comes down to what feels best on your feet. This is wear buying shoes from your LBS is invaluable. I wouldn't skimp on cost or comfort here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts