Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
yeah its alright, but some of the comments have been spot on. for people who DO ride like the writer has described, good on you and its hard to understand why people are a-holes to you. But since we've had the discussion about running reds many times, it's obvious that a lot of people don't do the safe things he talks about in the article. Why? because they feel like they probably don't need to. So now you're looking at people who AREN'T following the rules of the road and its understandable why motorists get mad at them. The article seems to make the generalization that all cyclists are rule abiding citizens while all motorists are angry and stupid. While what is really true is that there are some very nice, smart people, and some dumba$$es in both groups.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Those are my streets

Yeah, it's a mess.

I think that there does need to be more regulation of cyclists in the area. It's impossible for the good eggs to reasonably ask for better treatment in the face of so many other bad apples on the road. I think it's safer sometimes to bend the rules, because the drivers have sch a hard time driving around cyclists... because there are so many bad cyclists.

It's impossible for any reasonable driver around here to have half a clue what to expect when he sees anyone on a bicycle, from seasoned commuters to the lance wannabes that really do hog the road. And college kids who don't understand which way they're supposed to ride on bike lanes. And jerk offs who just bomb the streets with little sense of self preservation.

And there's a sense of entitlement in the burbs that basically leads vehicular cyclists to act like *ssholes because they think it's their right. "I'm a vehicle, too, so I'm going to make you wait because the law says I can." So the folks who commute in are so used to that kind of treatment that they don't know what to expect from the urban commuters.

I think there's a lot of work to be done.

·
Fly on a windshield
1,272 Posts
This is not a black or white issue

Claudio14 said:
I always freewheel my way through stop signs listening and looking for oncoming traffic. If I see a car approaching I will break, not necessarily come to a full stop mind you and make eye contact with the driver. I don't follow the rules to the tee but when I take risks they're always calculated, sort of like a pedestrian not crossing at an intersection but in the middle of the block somewhere.
Using common sense and friendly gestures to motorists who let you pass are the way to go IMO.
That being said, I work in Montreal and live just across the river to the South. In general motorists are very friendly around here. Probably due to the fact that I'm always on the lookout for traffic and also because 90% of my morning and afternoon commute to and from work is on dedicated bicycle paths.
In the US I find that motorists are OK in Virginia/West Virginia and Vermont. I really haven't experienced the horror stories some of you on this board have. Maybe I'm lucky.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
The author is an idiot.

She says:
Bella English said:
Under state law, bicycles are considered vehicles and have just as much right to the road as cars.
So, as vehicles, bikes have to obey road signs and traffic patterns just as cars do.

he was approaching a small construction site - the right lane blocked off to cars; perfect for biking
So, "Dave" should have followed the sings- I doubt the sings said "blocked for only cars, bikes may proceed". The lanes aren't blocked off for nothing- they are blocked of to protect vehicles and pedestrians from construction hazards.

Dave, a smart guy, knows that bikes belong on the road, not on the sidewalk.
Well, if he is sooooo smart, he should know that bikes belong on roads that ARE NOT BLOCKED OFF, and he should follow detour routes, not just go whatever way he pleases.

Of all examples to use, to pull one out where the cyclist is breaking the law- as a way to prove that cyclist need more protection, is stupid.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've been commuting in Boston for over 20 yrs, ride the streets of Milton frequently and know the two guys that were hit - damn that sucks and yes, thy are very good, very experienced riders. That motorcyclist should be charged with endangerment and assault with a deadly weapon.

What really surprised me about the article though was the extensive comments, Wow, 374 at last count. Clearly a very touchy subject that will only escalate as more people hope on their bikes than get in their car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.