Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Also look at the specialized Allez bikes. I just picked up a used one and it is a great ride!

·
Registered
638 Posts
I have a scott S10 and absolutely love it. One bit of advice is that you may want to increase your budget so you can get a better component group. Shimano 105 is good enough for quite some time but anything less can cause alot of irritation. For the extra $400 or so youll get alot more for your money. If not youll probably wind up spending the extra $400 anyways trying to upgrade crappy der. and shifters and whatnot. The s60 is an awesome bike but the brakes, der.'s, shifters, and cranks leave quite a bit to be desired. Its a much better investment to get those out of the way now and go up to the S40 or so.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I just looked and the S30 seems to be the best value. it lists for 1199 which although is more than you mentioned before youre getting great stuff on it. theres a big difference between WANTING upgrades and NEEDING them. With 105 group you may desire more precise or lighter equipment but you surely dont need it. With the group on the S60 you will probably spend each ride deciding what needs replacing more between all of your components in the group. Look for good deals on last years models. I got my S10 last month, its an 06 and was still new but I paid 1200 which is what the S30 usually goes for. As far as the Scott bikes, I love them. Its a fantastic aluminum frame with a very comfortable geometry thats still plenty fast. Ive had mine over 45mph since I got it a month ago and its very stable at those speeds. I just picked up a Specialized Toupe saddle, Neuvation Aero wheelset, Look pedals, Michelin Pro3 tires, and koolstop pads. the bike now performs and weighs at a level of bike thats usually nearing the $3000 range. Id highly suggest them as a company but you should do some thinking about what components youre getting. Just think about the extra cash youll need to get a better model and then figure out how little that cash would get you if you bought the cheaper one and then upgraded afterwards. The S30 is an excellent value and you wont be wanting anything else for quite some time. More importantly you wont be needing anything else at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.