Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been lookin for a book to read about cycling for a while now and cant really seem to find anything. Ive read lances Its not about the bike but to me that just seemed like him complaining about stuff and it definatly wasnt the best book ive read, there were so many errors in it. I was hoping for something that focused more on the actual races and time on the bike training then the riders personal life. Anyone know of anything good out there.
thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope were not talking about the same book here. The "its not about the bike"? I dont know mabey ive been reading too many classics for english class that anyhting less than the level of some of the best books ever written just seem mediocre. But aside from that anyone know of any other books that focus more on the riding than the authors life?
thanks

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
jains89 said:
I hope were not talking about the same book here. The "its not about the bike"? I dont know mabey ive been reading too many classics for english class that anyhting less than the level of some of the best books ever written just seem mediocre. But aside from that anyone know of any other books that focus more on the riding than the authors life?
thanks
Lance Armstrong's War

It's Not About the Bike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, ill be sure to check both of those out. Im out on sumemr break so i should be able to finish them in the nextt week or so.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
jains89 said:
Ive been lookin for a book to read about cycling for a while now and cant really seem to find anything. Ive read lances Its not about the bike but to me that just seemed like him complaining about stuff and it definatly wasnt the best book ive read, there were so many errors in it. I was hoping for something that focused more on the actual races and time on the bike training then the riders personal life. Anyone know of anything good out there.
thanks
Willy Voet's book "Breaking the Chain" is a rare glimpse into the dark underbelly of professional cycling.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Biker book club recommendations

Two books which I enjoyed are:
"French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France" by Tim Moore; funny about a self-effacing Brit and his attempt to pre-ride the tour route.

"Le Tour: A History of the Tour De France" by Geoffrey Wheatcroft; a comprehensive look at the tour's history and the stories behind the big names of cycling.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Many choices

I just finished "Lance Armstrongs War" ....very good. More about what happened at the 2005 tour vs. Lance. Proves to me how incredibly gifted Lance is and how he might be the biggest pr*ck on earth. IMHO

"The Race" and "The Tour" by Dave Shields. Great books. Quick reads -mostly becuase they are so entertaining. Highly recommended.

Bob Roll's book. Entertaining. Enlightening. Makes me wanna buy the dude a beer or three and just shoot the bull.

"Inside the Postal Bus" by Michael Barry. I enjoyed it. Another perspective from inside the racing world from one of Lance's domestiques. Has side stories and notes from all the team members.

I read "It's not about the bike" and the sequel. They were OK. Both made me dislike the man but respect the talent.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ditto on The Rider by Krabbe.

You might also want to check out "Kings of the Mountains: How Colombia's Cycling Heroes Changed Their Nation's History" by Matt Rendell (ISBN: 1854108379). I have it in paperback but for some reason Amazon only seem to list it in hardcover.

He also has a new book, "Death of Marco Pantani" (ISBN: 0297850962), coming out in August. Didn't care much for his "A Significant Other: Riding the Centenary Tour de France with Lance Armstrong" (ISBN: 0753818744).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.