Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good climbing wheel and an occasional commute to work. Sounds like an oxymoron. Just wondering if that exists. One member turned me on to "Blackset race 24" 399.00 pretty good price. Something under 500.00 would be nice. I've mostly been looking on eBay.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You probably can't compare e-bay wheels with BWW wheels. The e-bay ones will be a total crap-shoot - who (or what) built them and how well did they do? The BWW ones are built by someone I've known for over 10 years and there has been close to zero complaints about their work on two forums that I know of. I've personally known of ten sets of their wheels and not one of them has had a problem.

As for you wanting "a good climbing wheel and an occasional commute to work; under 500.00 would be nice" - I'm not going to even touch that one. It's along the lines of "light, strong, cheap - pick any two."

If you are within the body weight limits of the BSR24 then, for their weight, quality and price, probably as good as you will find.

·
Registered
9 Posts
With due respect, gotta knock the graphics on the BSR wheels. Clearly graphics are one of the least important factors, but a factor nonetheless. Check out Revolution Wheels for a comparison.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BWW wheels

You probably can't compare e-bay wheels with BWW wheels. The e-bay ones will be a total crap-shoot - who (or what) built them and how well did they do? The BWW ones are built by someone I've known for over 10 years and there has been close to zero complaints about their work on two forums that I know of. I've personally known of ten sets of their wheels and not one of them has had a problem.

As for you wanting "a good climbing wheel and an occasional commute to work; under 500.00 would be nice" - I'm not going to even touch that one. It's along the lines of "light, strong, cheap - pick any two."

If you are within the body weight limits of the BSR24 then, for their weight, quality and price, probably as good as you will find.
Thanks, Mike T
Those sound like a great value the BSR24. Thanks for the heads up on the eBay searching. Like your site. I would really like to get into that. Right now I just want a reliable set of hoops so I can ride my bike to work and climb some hills on the way home. Thanks for your time.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts

Do I see this correctly? The BSR24 laced 24/28 weighs 1388g and the set is only $400?? I would certainly like to see how many miles have been logged on some sets of these out there. Will they last?

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Do I see this correctly? The BSR24 laced 24/28 weighs 1388g and the set is only $400?? I would certainly like to see how many miles have been logged on some sets of these out there. Will they last?
I recently bought a set of those for my GF, but she's only 90lbs. They weighed about 1415g. And yes $400 delivered in about a week.
A friend recently bought a set on my recommendation and he loves them.

I have and older version, been riding them for about 3yrs. I'd gusstimate around 10k miles. Haven't had to true them once. If something happens to them, I'd replace them with these in a heartbeat.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
My BSR24 weighed 1410g with 24/28 CX-Ray spokes. I used them as my summer wheels for 4 years and then a friend bought them. I haven't heard from him so I guess he's still happy. I'm 175lbs. They were never touched with a spoke wrench. I just re-lubed the ratchety bits every year (when they got noisy).

Due to my good luck, another friend bought the next set heavier ("Race" at the time) and he does lots of miles (10,000 per year?) and I heard from him a few months ago and he was singing their praises as they had done 3-4 years with no issues.

I think those BSR will weigh more than 1388g, in fact I'd bet money on it, but my guess will be 1450g. And there's nothing wrong with that for $400.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
10K miles is certainly impressive for a 1400-1500g $400 wheelset!

The difference between 1450g and 1388g is only 62g.

Does anybody know what the freehub on those is made out of?

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Tig got it - aloominum. How many others use anything different - Shimano, WI. Isn't that it? I never had a problem getting cassettes off the BSR.

None of the notorious freehub gouging? Must be harder alloys.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Inexpensive climber all-arounder

My BSR24 weighed 1410g with 24/28 CX-Ray spokes. I used them as my summer wheels for 4 years and then a friend bought them. I haven't heard from him so I guess he's still happy. I'm 175lbs. They were never touched with a spoke wrench. I just re-lubed the ratchety bits every year (when they got noisy).

Due to my good luck, another friend bought the next set heavier ("Race" at the time) and he does lots of miles (10,000 per year?) and I heard from him a few months ago and he was singing their praises as they had done 3-4 years with no issues.

I think those BSR will weigh more than 1388g, in fact I'd bet money on it, but my guess will be 1450g. And there's nothing wrong with that for $400.
SOLD! Those sound like quite a find! Even a 1450g set, hard to beat that durability.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Tig got it - aloominum. How many others use anything different - Shimano, WI. Isn't that it? I never had a problem getting cassettes off the BSR.

One more question about these. Is the freehub noisy like a Mavic or DT or is it quiet like a Shimano?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
One more question about these. Is the freehub noisy like a Mavic or DT or is it quiet like a Shimano?
Like lots of other wheels they're house-brand Asian hubs and the exact source is rarely listed. They're all pretty much the same internals and they give you a clue when the ratchety parts need new lube - the clicks get more noisy. Freshly lubed Asian hubs are very quiet.

DT240 are the same (I had a set for 4 years).

Shimano are (in the ones I've heard) very quiet. My Ultegs are almost inaudible. My DuraAce just a bit more noisy.

All that being said, hub noise is not on my horizon. None of it bother me a bit. I even have so 10yr old King MTB hubs and even though I don't like the nose when I listen, during riding I don't pay it any attention. YMMV.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
Like lots of other wheels they're house-brand Asian hubs and the exact source is rarely listed. They're all pretty much the same internals and they give you a clue when the ratchety parts need new lube - the clicks get more noisy. Freshly lubed Asian hubs are very quiet.

DT240 are the same (I had a set for 4 years).

Shimano are (in the ones I've heard) very quiet. My Ultegs are almost inaudible. My DuraAce just a bit more noisy.

All that being said, hub noise is not on my horizon. None of it bother me a bit. I even have so 10yr old King MTB hubs and even though I don't like the nose when I listen, during riding I don't pay it any attention. YMMV.

Thanks Mike! I am in the "quiet hubs" category. So far, Shimanos are the only hubs that are satisfyingly quiet for me. Please, no stale jokes telling me to just keep pedaling. :)

A friend asked me to recommend replacement wheels for her that......of course, clicked all the boxes so to say. You know......light, strong, cheap. :D OK, we all know that's impossible unless you are willing to compromise here and there OR......pick two.

That being said, for a factory wheelset for someone who is not a wheelbuilder, the Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 looks like a great bang for the buck at under $300 including shipping. Their claimed weight is 1640g. Granted they are narrow by today's standards (only 15mm internal) and the spoke count is only 16/20 like most other mass produced factory road wheels. For a slight rider of only 120-130lbs, I doubt this is a problem. And I've never heard of anybody breaking a spoke on these.

In fact, I can't find a single quality issue regarding these. The only complaint I find is tire mounting difficulties because they are tubeless compatible. As we all know, if you know the trick of squashing the tire bead into the channel, this is a non-issue.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
They click. I wouldn't consider it noisy, not as loud as Mavic. Maybe 50-60%.

OK then, more like Shimano. They all click (except maybe Stealth or Onyx), but as one wise poster said awhile back, if a Shimano freewheel is irritatingly noisy to you, the CIA could probably use you.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,404 Posts
No, not like Shimano. Shimano's are un-noticeable while riding. These you definitely hear.

OK, thanks TLG! I could live with a sound somewhere in between a Shimano and a Mavic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts