Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Giant branded fenders on my Masi (with P-clamps). No complaints really, but I am thinking I'd like a fender that can be easily removed or re-installed depending on the weather. Looking for recommendations. Bike is a minimal clearance sport style frame, no rack or fender eyelets. LBS had some Evo brand plastic fenders which strap on the the frame, no eyelet required. Thanks.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
SKS RaceBlade Long. Clip on and off, excellent coverage.
Yeah, that's probably my favorite. The front mntg bracket that runs on the underside of the top of the fork rubs on my wife's Cervelo, but not on mine (diff models).
Crud Roadracers are good as well, but require zip ties and mounts on the frame. Pretty stealthy though.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Anybody say SKS Raceblade Long yet?

Cruds are OK, sort of. I had/have two sets on different bikes. Very light and aero compared to anything else, but a pain to install/remove and keep from rubbing. Also very flimsy and easily broken.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear conflicting reports as to whether or not I can run 25c (Gatorskins) with these Raceblades. Manufacturer says 23c but some folks seem to be fine with 25's.

·
Registered
391 Posts
What size tires you run with the fenders is depends on a few different factors, including brake/tire clearance and geometry length. On the rear of my bike I could get away with a 25, but my front barely clears a 23. I really dig the Raceblade Longs though, I use them for team training rides and whenever I need to be in inclement weather with my race bike. For races I remove them- luckily I have the older version with the forked QR mounts instead of the grommet style.

·
Masters Neophyte
2,209 Posts
Anybody say SKS Raceblade Long yet?
Only two of us, but the more the merrier. ;)

I hear conflicting reports as to whether or not I can run 25c (Gatorskins) with these Raceblades. Manufacturer says 23c but some folks seem to be fine with 25's.
It's really going to depend on how tight the underside of your fork is to your tires. Part of the mounting scheme involves L-brackets off the bottom of the brake bolts.
That's what I was trying to explain in my previous post- one of my Roubaixs w/ more clearance can run 25's with no problem w/ the Raceblade Longs, but my wife's Cervelo RS is hella tight- even the 23's are super-super tight. No way 25's will work with Raceblade Longs on that bike.

So, slim aero bikes- no 25's w/ Raceblade Longs.
CX bikes/gravel grinders, etc..- 25's no problem w/ Raceblade Longs.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
The RB Long mounting tangs that pass between the brake calipers and tires are 1.6mm thick and 12mm wide. If you have 2.6mm or more between the tire and the middle underside of the calipers, you can use these fenders, IMO. The fenders themselves are plenty wide enough for 25mm and probably even 28mm tires.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.