Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for something a little more flat resistant than the bontrager selects that came with the bike (and are almost worn out). Suggestions?

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
cougaraug said:
looking for something a little more flat resistant than the bontrager selects that came with the bike (and are almost worn out). Suggestions?
If you do a search using commuter tires, you will get 200 hits in the forums.
Specialized Armadillo - rough ride, good sidewall, you can look for stuff to run over and they won't flat. Last forever.

Continential Gatorskin - better ride than armadillo, not as puncture resistant but adequate unless you ride through a lot of debris with glass. Last a long time.

If your commute is through rough streets with glass and other road hazards, go with the armadillos. If you have a mixture of rural, MUT, etc without many hazards, go with the Gatorskins.

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Panaracers

Been using Panaracer Touring tires, 700 x 32 with no problems. Nothing special and I'm getting lot's of mileage out of them after 15 months of use.

·
Registered
530 Posts
one more

If you can fit a tire wider than 700x25 in your frame, try the Panaracer Pasela with the Tourgard protection. I've been running them for a few months now and have just one flat--a large and evil chunk of side mirror I didn't see in the rain and darkness. Pretty nice ride quality, too.

Look at that, Thommy likes them too...

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Great results with Panaracer Paselas.

Big enough to be relatively flat proof, supple enough to go down the road nicely, quiet and lighter weight than most big tires. I put Mr Tuffy in for the winter because changing flats in cold weather sucks so bad.

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
rusa1586 said:
Big enough to be relatively flat proof, supple enough to go down the road nicely, quiet and lighter weight than most big tires. I put Mr Tuffy in for the winter because changing flats in cold weather sucks so bad.
I too use the Pasela TGs with Mr. Tuffys. I hate commute flats. They are nice tires for the task, and pretty cheap, too.

·
Registered
65 Posts
. . . hope it's okay if I jump in & ask a question . . . I too was wondering about a good commuter tire for my new bike . . . :)

What about the IRC Metro II's or the Michelin Transworld tires? Does anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks

·
Polka Power
1,346 Posts
Conti Top Touring 2000s. I used them around Philly for several years and a few thousand miles with NO flats beside one pinch flat that was my fault. They are heavy. They don't ride so well or roll that fast. But they last, stick well, and are seriously tough.

Min width is a 28c, so that could be a problem in a tight frame. It does allow for better unpaved rail trail and minor off roading.

·
Registered
806 Posts
MIchelin Dynamics

cougaraug said:
I've been using Michelin Dynamics for a couple of years now. They're cheap, they ride well, they last well...what else do you need? 700cX25.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm riding Bontrager Hardcase tires on my commuter with really good luck...if you haven't already tried them.

·
Collin's Dad
1,858 Posts
While it's not on a commute, but I used some 32mm Pasela TG's on our tandem while riding the Katy Trail (rails to trail, crushed limestone, + gravel sections), 250mi no flats for that ride (or flats in general on the regular 28mm Pasela's that are on it as stock tires).

·
Registered
60 Posts
ChuckUni said:
Conti Top Touring 2000s. I used them around Philly for several years and a few thousand miles with NO flats beside one pinch flat that was my fault. They are heavy. They don't ride so well or roll that fast. But they last, stick well, and are seriously tough.

Min width is a 28c, so that could be a problem in a tight frame. It does allow for better unpaved rail trail and minor off roading.
Ditto on the Top Touring... Great tire... Ride is *comfy*... Weight... well, I'm commuting so I try not to think about that. ;) Flat protection is off the charts and is directly proportional to the weight. Lastly, great traction.

ff

·
Registered
530 Posts
firefox said:
Flat protection is off the charts and is directly proportional to the weight. Lastly, great traction. ff
I've seen and heard similar things about the Vittoria Randonneur. Of course, when you pull it down off the peg at the LBS it feels (and weighs) like it's made for a tank...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have been using Panaraser Pasela TG and recently changed to a pair of Conti Top Touring 200 for touring. I think overall, the Conti is better as I had no flat tyres after 1852 km, is able to handle unpaved road better, although it is heavier than the Panaracer. I am curious to know the performance of Schwalbe Marathon tyres.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts