Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I've been mostly lurking around these boards, trying to study up in preparation of buying my first road bike. Anyhow, I'm soon to head out on our 2 week family vacation this summer, and thus will have a good amount of down time (driving, in the hotel at night etc). As someone who thoroughly enjoys a good read, I was thinking of picking up a new book to help pass the time, and what better book than one all about biking? :)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any title suggestions that would be beneficial for a beginner to read. Anything from a history of cycling to a biography of a famous rider to the idiots guide to road bikes; if you've read it or heard it's a good read, then I would greatly appreciate your input!

Thanks in advance!

·
Still On Steel
2,391 Posts
Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities is an excellent book if the subject matter interests you.

Lance Armstrong's first book, It's Not About The Bike: My Journey Back To Life, is partly a cycling memoir, partly a biography, and wholly inspirational.

Good cycling novels are thin on the ground but The Rider by Tim Krabbe is an entertaining read. (Ralph Hurne's two novels, however -- The Yellow Jersey, and They'll Never Catch You Now -- meh, not so much. Both are more concerned with the off-the-bike exploits of a womanizing cad than they are with bicycle racing. The former is mildly satisfying. The latter is absolutely dreadful.)

Miles From Nowhere: A Round The World Bicycle Adventure by the late Barbara Savage is perhaps THE classic title on bicycle touring. Again, well worth your time if the subject is of interest.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts

·
9,790 Posts
The Memory of Running

Heft on Wheels

Blue Highways

A Walk Across America

No, they don't all have something apparent to do with cycling. Read them, and maybe you'll get it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
"Urban Bikers' Tricks and Tips" by Dave Glowacz.

Well illustrated guide with lots of useful info, but he's one of those urban guerillas everybody hates.

But if you can filter out the dangerous advice, it's very valuable.
Be prepared to mutter "Nonsense!" once in a while when reading.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My local athletic magazine had an article on cycling books here is their list:
Come and Gone by Joe Parkin
Boy Racer by Mark Cavendish
Bike Snob by Bike Snob NYC
The Lost Cyclist by David Herlihy
Training Plans for Cyclists by Gale Bernhardt

I have heard about a book written by a guy that cycled with his family across Canada. The children were quite young and I think, he said his wife was still breast feeding the baby! I can't remember the title but I found "Mud Seat and Gears" by Joe Kurmaskie which tells of his young family cycling through Oregon Washinton and B.C. http://www.cascadiakids.com/cycling-across-canada-with-kids/

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Lance Armstrong's war. A journalist gets access to travel with Armstrong's team for a season including the TDF. I don't particularly like Armstrong, but this book is very interesting, well written and hilarious in many places.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Inside the Postal Bus, Michael Barry...good read.

·
Registered
24 Posts
+1 for Heft On Wheels
Dog In A Hat is a good read too.
Tour De Lance is a good look into the comeback. Bill Strickland was just as skeptical and it was interesting to hear what others thought as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts