Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I've been looking at the Specialized tarmac expert bikes for 5-6 months now. Well, my LBS has an '09 Spec. Tarmac Expert (FLOOR MODEL) for $1999. As many of you probably know, it retailed for $3700 new. New tires and chain were recently put on the bike. I have never bought a "used" bike before, so I am a little hesitant...especially b/c it's a full carbon frame. The store manager said it would still have the "new" bike warranty and has already gone through their pre-sale inspections/tune-up.

Anyways, what do you guys think? Good deal?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
not that awesome of a deal, that 2 year old stuff is going to be pretty close to the current base model stuff which should actually be cheaper than $2000

the cheapest new tarmac you can get now (should be about $1700-1800) will actually have a better frame (both are 8r, but the new is made with the fact IS vs monocoque)

also, the 2011 bikes will also have a new chain and tires too... new parts aren't exactly a selling feature on new bikes

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
roscoe said:
not that awesome of a deal, that 2 year old stuff is going to be pretty close to the current base model stuff which should actually be cheaper than $2000

the cheapest new tarmac you can get now (should be about $1700-1800) will actually have a better frame (both are 8r, but the new is made with the fact IS vs monocoque)

also, the 2011 bikes will also have a new chain and tires too... new parts aren't exactly a selling feature on new bikes
Thanks for the insight. Will have to investigate a little more. :thumbsup:

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Focusing only on the frameset, I agree with roscoe that the low end 2011 Tarmacs are actually of slightly better quality than an '09 Expert, but they're equipped with Apex or 105, not Ultegra, so there's some value in that.

Overall, I think it's a good deal and (because it comes with a warranty) a safe bet. Just make sure whatever bike you settle on meets your intended purposes and fits well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal. Sure the 8r frameset will not be as light or possibly as responsive as the 10r, or whatever newer versions are coming out. Unless you are a pretty high caliber rider you may or may not feel the difference. It appears the '09 Expert comes with full Ultegra SL and Ultegra wheels, so it's a pretty decent package for around $2,000.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PJ352 said:
Focusing only on the frameset, I agree with roscoe that the low end 2011 Tarmacs are actually of slightly better quality than an '09 Expert, but they're equipped with Apex or 105, not Ultegra, so there's some value in that.

Overall, I think it's a good deal and (because it comes with a warranty) a safe bet. Just make sure whatever bike you settle on meets your intended purposes and fits well.
Thanks PJ. You have an '08 Expert, right? If so, how do you like yours? As for components, I actually like Sram, but don't mind Shimano. And as for the new 105 gruppo versus the Ultegra SL, I honestly don't know IF I would notice a big difference in terms of performance and weight?!?!?! It's a psychological thing :D But we all know that psychology does effect how we ride to some extent.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Mtn2RoadConvert said:
Seems like a pretty good deal. Sure the 8r frameset will not be as light or possibly as responsive as the 10r, or whatever newer versions are coming out. Unless you are a pretty high caliber rider you may or may not feel the difference. It appears the '09 Expert comes with full Ultegra SL and Ultegra wheels, so it's a pretty decent package for around $2,000.
Agreed. I consider myself an avid cyclist, but definitely no expert or very advanced rider. All else equal, I honestly don't think I could tell the difference between 8r vs. 10r carbon frames. I will probably change the ultegra wheels out for some lighter ones though...or maybe just put my easton ea90 slx on this bike and the ultegra on my other bike.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't figure this was an awesome deal or a great bargain, but just wanted to see if you guys thought it was a decent/fair price. I hate purchasing something like this and find out a few days later that the deal was not so good after all. Hence, I love coming on here to find out what more knowledgeable biking enthusiasts think. Thanks again.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Cni2i said:
Thanks PJ. You have an '08 Expert, right? If so, how do you like yours? As for components, I actually like Sram, but don't mind Shimano. And as for the new 105 gruppo versus the Ultegra SL, I honestly don't know IF I would notice a big difference in terms of performance and weight?!?!?! It's a psychological thing :D But we all know that psychology does effect how we ride to some extent.
No, I have an '08 Comp (and love it). I agree with the poster that said you'd likely not feel any difference in framesets. IMO/E with each successive model year, improvements are usually made in higher stiffness and slightly less weight. Not something most riders would feel or notice in real world riding.

Re: 105 versus Ultegra. I have one bike equipped with 105 and another with Ultegra. Except for nicer finish and slightly lower weight on the Ultegra, functionally I can't tell a difference between the two.

But... if you prefer SRAM, that's a reason to go with a 2011, maybe with Apex. Something to consider.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
if you're already talking about changing wheels I think that's another reason to go with a 2011 lower end bike

the older bike has better components and wheels, and if you're taking the wheels and planning on scrapping them that's something to consider

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
roscoe said:
if you're already talking about changing wheels I think that's another reason to go with a 2011 lower end bike

the older bike has better components and wheels, and if you're taking the wheels and planning on scrapping them that's something to consider
That's a valid point. OTOH, the OP mentioned having a set of Easton EA-90 SLX's, which (IMO) would be a very nice compliment to the Expert (or most any bike, for that matter).

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
good call, if the wheels are already in hand then my point doesn't make nearly as much sense

sounds like both bikes are going to be pretty close in price and spec between new and old, might be time to see which one has a cooler paintjob

I guess we know the pricing is fair on the old one since there's good points for picking either option, it's not an easy thing to pick the better value here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts