Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading good reports of PBK, I've used them a few times in the past year or 2. No problems and great prices.
This gave me the confidence to check other UK online vendors for a recent wheel purchase. Ribble was cheapest, even after the 30 GBP shipping charge. My wheels (and shorts and tire and assos cream - shipping didn't increase to throw in small added items) arrived in approximately 10 days to western US with no duty required by USPS delivery.
-Dirk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the Shamal set (not 2-way, but 2009). They replaced a Zonda set (rear '06, front '04 - a long story). The difference is subtle but noticeable to me. I'm happy w/ the new wheels - especially at the price.
-Dirk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no warranty. I got hit by a car while acting like a pedestrian and crossing a downtown street in the crosswalk with a green light. The car just nipped my back wheel - I didn't even fall down. But it did bend the wheel pretty good. So I was riding my first generation zonda front and a 2nd generation zonda rear (which the errant driver bought for me). Thus the weight savings for the new Shamals is something like 300+ grams, per my recollection.
-Dirk

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Here are the advantages I find for PBK and Ribble as compared to each other:

PBK
1.) I find PBK shipping to be twice as fast as Ribble
2.) PBK is better at notifying when items ship. While Ribble says they will send E-mail, I have never gotten one.
3.) Free shipping is nice on smaller orders. The Ribble shipping bites on small orders.
4.) PBK has great specials and closeouts.

Ribble
1.) Items are more often in stock
2.) Prices are often lower when you remember to deduct the 15% VAT that does not get charged to US customers.
3.) Selection is better on many items.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A note I received from Ribble when asking about possible Customs fees on a Wheel set purchase. I'm looking at a set of wheels over $2,500 and if I end up with a 15 to 20 percent tax on the wheels I might as well just purchase them in the states.... Due to the HIGH shipping charges I would not consider a purchase from Ribble unless its a high value item.

Quote from Ribble "...Yes, im sure you will be charged by the US customs for bringing them in to the country. You'd be best speaking to the US customs regarding the charges."

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
terrain said:
A note I received from Ribble when asking about possible Customs fees on a Wheel set purchase. I'm looking at a set of wheels over $2,500 and if I end up with a 15 to 20 percent tax on the wheels I might as well just purchase them in the states.... Due to the HIGH shipping charges I would not consider a purchase from Ribble unless its a high value item.

Quote from Ribble "...Yes, im sure you will be charged by the US customs for bringing them in to the country. You'd be best speaking to the US customs regarding the charges."
Well, Ribble has to cover themselves, they can't very well mislead or advise action that might, strictly & technically speaking, be not quite kosher.

If wheels ship via Royal Mail / Parcel Force and hand-off to USPS, you likely will not be charged, but no guarantee. If shipped via UPS or FedEx, you almost certainly will be charged duty + hefty "brokerage" fees. Call Ribble in advance re method of shipment.

Furthermore, I doubt duty would be 15-20% ... more likely 8-10%.
You can check USA Customs Dept here:
http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm
http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0901c87.pdf

Maybe also compare prices at Wiggle -- they have free shipping for orders over GBP100, plus a modest GBP5 instant discount code if you signup for their e-newsletter.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Tom - good info and I agree that Ribble's response was a responsible.

I have looked at Wiggle but never found their prices to be close to PBK or Ribble. If they offered free shipping like PBK I'd be ready to pull the trigger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts